No Power in my garage, winter charging question

Martyleeds

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ok so I'll soon be putting my bike to bed for the winter (I know, wuss). Anyway I have no power in my garage and no chance of getting any there it's a long walk from the house, can I take the battery off the bike and put it on a trickle charger in the house? Will not having a battery on the bike for a prolonged period of time affect any of the GS1200 LC 2015 electronics? The bike doesn't have an alarm.
Thanks in advance.
Martin

Hi all,

Ok so I'll soon be putting my bike to bed for the winter (I know, wuss). Anyway I have no power in my garage and no chance of getting any there it's a long walk from the house, can I take the battery off the bike and put it on a trickle charger in the house? Will not having a battery on the bike for a prolonged period of time affect any of the GS1200 LC 2015 electronics? The bike doesn't have an alarm.
Thanks in advance.
Martin

All good and best thing to do, it will not harm the bike at all, and in the house just put it on a charger for 24 hours every 2 months will be fine, if it is in a warm area, in a colder area, every month for 24 hours maximum.

my mate puts his bike in the house, he's not married tho ;)

Whenever you disconnect the battery for a periode of time the internal clock will be reset. This is a different clock than what you see in the instrument panel, and it can on only be reset by a diagnostic system like GS 911.
It does not affect the ride in any way, but the service reminder will show up on the instrument panel.
Also the adaptive map in the engine management computer will be zeroed out, so you may notice a slightly different character on the way the engine runs for the first few hundred miles. But that is in worst case a nuisance that will pass.

Great idea bisbee, but there are no windows either, it's one of those typical council block garages :(

cant you put the solar panel on the roof and run the wires inside?

Great idea bisbee, but there are no windows either, it's one of those typical council block garages :(

Well you could use a lithium ion boost pack to put some juice back in it rather than faff about with a battery removal regime :nenau

Whenever you disconnect the battery for a periode of time the internal clock will be reset. This is a different clock than what you see in the instrument panel, and it can on only be reset by a diagnostic system like GS 911.
It does not affect the ride in any way, but the service reminder will show up on the instrument panel.
Also the adaptive map in the engine management computer will be zeroed out, so you may notice a slightly different character on the way the engine runs for the first few hundred miles. But that is in worst case a nuisance that will pass.

Thanks knutk, I'm assuming a 24hr/overnight charge wouldn't cause this to happen?

Depends on what the electronics in the Kombi & ZFE have inside them -

Some will be hard written in Rom (Read only memory) others in Ram - Random acess memory

ROM is not affected by power loss ( its hard coded into the chip structure) , where as RAM may be affected

Then you get flash RAM, which acts like ROM

in that it will retain what data is flashed to it ( think memory sticks). So not affected by power loss - OBDII fault data for example

TBH worst case - it will be like riding a new bike, all adapatations will be lost ..

In short , take the battery off and charge, the important & legal stuff wont be lost, the non important & re-learnable stuff you'll have to do again :)

Thanks knutk, I'm assuming a 24hr/overnight charge wouldn't cause this to happen?

I think it takes less than an hour to loose the time and adaption data.

But don't worry about it. The service reminder is just that, a reminder, and it shows a small message on the display. As long as you know about it, you know it may be ignored.
The adaption valuesl: The bike will be, electronically, as if it was new. In the same way as you do nothing to calibrate a new bike, there is no need to do anything when the bike has been powerless. The electronics do take care of them selves.

So if the most practical solution is to disconnect the battery, do it, and live with the service nuisance, and you might notice slightly that the engine runs a tad different for the first few miles, but most likely not. And you should definitely not worry about it.

I have a similar issue with my classic Land Rover. I tuck her away from the salt in an off-grid garage.
Just installed one of these (after the Maplin one gave up)
https://www.bimblesolar.com/offgrid/12v/12v-20w-kit
Managed to get it onto a home-made bracket with visibility of the morning sun. Early indications are good, but time will tell. The Maplin one was never great.
My other choice is to take the battery off for 12 hours once-a-month and bring it home so I can charge it with my C-TEK charger...

I use a spare car battery, every 3/4 weeks I connect it to the bike for a week, then connect to my other bike for a week. Do this a couple of times then charge the battery in the house and repeat, done this for ten years, no issues.

Al.

Take the battery off the bike , stick it in the house on a Battery Tender or similar and it also means if the garage is screwed they aint getting the bike started

Well you could use a lithium ion boost pack to put some juice back in it rather than faff about with a battery removal regime :nenau

Hey bisbee, would the Lithium Ion booster act as a trickle charger until the charge for the booster ran out?

Hey bisbee, would the Lithium Ion booster act as a trickle charger until the charge for the booster ran out?
They can trickle charge, but normally for phones and the like around 5V@ 1A.

It is there to boost the 12v battery, so high current output, into starting the engine.

It might do It, but it isn't what is designed for.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom