Speedo not working

P-bravo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a 2004 ABS equipped gs1200

The ABS was disconnected several years ago as confirmed by Lind BMW last week and the speedo has always worked up until very recently (confirmed by MOT’s and previous owner)

I have checked the speed sensor on the rear wheel hub and it looks clean with no metal swab etc..

It did have an electrical non-starting issue which Lind BMW sorted out and they reset the bikes canbus system on their computer

Before I buy another sensor is there anything else that I should be looking at?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Regards
Paul

IF the rear sensor fails internally you will never tell visually.

its a simple hall effect type sensor, pennies to make, but costs a fortune from a dealer lol

try unplugging it and replugging it back in, if it works you have a reasonable guess theres the problem

it may work on a unplug /plug basis but guaranteed to be a PITA

Could also be your final drive gently asking for a rebuild...
Have you checked play of the rear wheel?
Any debry on the speed sensor tip when you pull it out?

I fitted a used sensor from Motorworks. 12 months later it failed. Best part of £100 for the OEM part is daylight robbery but at least they'll last about 50K miles.

You could check the cable connector for contact damage and maybe even replace the connecting cable but it's probably the sensor transistor that fails.

Do check the wires alongside the airbox as they can chafe.

This. ^^^^^^

After I had my FD rebuilt about 20,000 miles ago my speedo has worked perfectly. Same sensor and wiring that was playing up before the rebuild.

Brother's bike has had a new rear wheel bearing because there was too much side play. The speedo worked fine before and after.

Hi all

I have changed the rear sensor but still no joy

Ive then swapped the old rear sensor with the front sensor but speedo still not working!

Any ideas greatly full received

When you say changed, do you mean swapped with front sensor as a test or did you buy a new one?

Check your rear wheel side play is within tolerance.

Try the "working sensor in bike that already has a working sensor. The new sensors are silly money but I will not be getting another used sensor. £50 for one year's use is not good value when the original lasted 50,000.

Same problem

Hi did you ever solved the problem?

I had a 2006 R1200gs with Abs... speedo failed, i traced it to a little corroded wire in the loom just before the plug next to battery.

But now same problem on my 2011 GSA ( no abs) speedo not moving after startup ans never since. Changed sensor , checked wires upto tank, still nothing. Instrument cluster seems fine, i have a diagnostic kit. But running out of options now.

Farid

Hi all, I have a problem with my 2004 R1200gs sensor understating the speed after replacing the final drive. I realised that the original one i have replaced it with, has a different gearing ratio which is causing the issue. Has anyone got an idea on how to resolve this at all?

Hi all, I have a problem with my 2004 R1200gs sensor understating the speed after replacing the final drive. I realised that the original one i have replaced it with, has a different gearing ratio which is causing the issue. Has anyone got an idea on how to resolve this at all?

Fit the correct final drive gear ratio

Or fit a GPS to show you the correct speed Even an Old Navigator can still do that

Well yes, a new final drivive would be something I would consider if I had pound notes casualy laying around my house.

Regarding the GPS, already thought of that but it's not as quick or precise.

I am Looking to fix the problem without spending ridiculous amounts of cash or finding alternative solutions.

I am Looking to fix the problem without spending ridiculous amounts of cash or finding alternative solutions.

What FD did you change into the bike ?

Usually anything Post 2006 Will not work! The tone ring sensor signals can;t be read by the earlier ECU

IF you want cheap without changing the FD, Fit an illuminated Bicycle Speedo or a grass track style one running off a magnet that you glue to the rim

Sorry but that's about your limit Unless you get your own FD rebuilt or buy another used one ?

Back
Top Bottom