LED'S - REPLACEMENT BULBS & / OR AUXILIARY LIGHTS

Pottsie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

I appreciate it has probably been done to death but talking about death I've just come back home having lit my way with my GSA 1200's (2012) 2 candle power light - might as well strap a torch to my head.

So - first question, could anyone recommend reliable LED replacement bulbs for both high and low beam lights; I need less dull yellow tarmac and more white/blue white so I can see the mud patches.

Also, I would like to fit auxiliary lights, the original BMW ones look alright but again there's not a lot hitting the road. Can I replace the bulbs in them with LED or are there any no too expensive but very bright alternatives that anyone would recommend.

Your replies will hopefully be illuminating.

Cheers

I went down the les wassel hid route, dip is excellent as for main, I doubt anything can make it like it should be.

I'd spend money on dip, and unless it's a buy one get one free, not bother about main beam.

Is it extra light to fill in dip or long range spots you're needing ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

To be honest its both - I had a Triumph Trophy SE before this and the foreground and distance were brilliantly lit and you could ride at night with confidence, not so the GSA (a bike I prefer in every other way)

I guess I'll start with spots for the distance but with prices ranging from 5 to 350 it doesn't make choosing easy apart from Im not spending 350!!

Hi there, I am from the States and seems like it is my bad luck to buy bikes with too poor light output. I tried installing HIDs first (on the Kawi Ninja), but when I noticed good LEDs for the hi/low beam, I started experimenting on them. I got my first LEDs from Amazon back in 2016, spent a lot of time checking on what the technology is about, installed them and threw them away. Just because they didn't produce that beam. They lit everything except of the road haha. Well, I got kinda frustrated because I paid around $100 for thing that I couldn't return, but seems like almost all of the first LEDs were like that. Anyways, I went researching good brands that make LEDs, and there are some things that that I learned.
1. Daymakers (full LED units, not just the bulbs) are great but too expensive. However, once I installed their round light on the 2010 Bonneville I used to have, and it's well worth the money (well, I bought that bike well over $12K, so a $500 headlight was something I could do for it). I picked one from the official Harley davidson website, it was adjustive light, and it was awesome.
2. I cannot comment on the round LED lights under $100 avail on Amazon, eBay, etc.
3. The same story with the complete aftermarket units for the R1200GS, cannot comment on them.
4. As for the LED bulbs, I had a chance to try Hikari LED bulbs, and they are ones that appeared to be the best among all under-$100 LED lights I tried. It's the price for the pair, by the way. The only thing you need to know about them: they may throw errors if your bike has got that can-bus module, so you'd better grab that harness right away. But the light they produce is woth that extra effort. I don't remember where I bought them, I believe it was Amazon. Here's the off site - https://hikari-led.com/. And here's how to wire the resistors - https://www.motorcycleid.com/images/putco/car-bulbs/pdf/230004c-installation-sheet.pdf.
5. One more thing I wanted to add. If you are not sure whether you really want to deal with the LEDs, try quality halogen lights (Sylvania Silverstar, Philips, Piaa - to name a few). No hassle as they are just replacement bulbs, but they are way brighter, than regular stock bulbs.
Hope this helps and sorry for a wordy post...

Just started researching LED headlights myself, these Cyclops R1200GS LED Headlight Bulb Kit 9600 Lumen Set get good reviews and look reasonably easy to install. I put HIDs on my 2005 R1200GS about a year after I got it, a lot of drilling and cutting cluster covers for a marginal improvement. Never bothered with its replacement 2009 R1200 GSA but a recent brush with tractor mud, illuminated by the dying glow worm in a jar, convinced me to have a look around. 2 x $129.90 plus shipping from the US but I’m trying to convince the UK dealer for KTM Cyclops kits to consider importing these. I’ll post an update if I get any success.

Back
Top Bottom