Thread: Colorado plans

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Colorado plans

Planning our next trip to USA.
    Colorado, West of Denver, Monument Valley Salt Lake city, anyone got any tips. Want to avoid Eagle Riders so have gone with Colorado Motorcycle Adventures instead.
    Arrive Saturday and leave week later so 8 days riding.

Quote Originally Posted by grantmac View Post
    Colorado, West of Denver, Monument Valley Salt Lake city, anyone got any tips. Want to avoid Eagle Riders so have gone with Colorado Motorcycle Adventures instead.
    Sgt Bilco is the font of all knowledge, I’m sure he’ll be along shortly

'Don't mess with me' Member

I'd head to Moab and rent a quad/4x4/UTV
    Thomas! There's a mouse duck in the house!

Utah - it's one big national park!
    "I must be traveling on now 'cause there's too many places I've got to see.

Iconoclast Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Bonneville Salt Flats at Wendover on the Utah / Nevada border is only 120 miles West of Salt Lake City. Go...!

What time of year? Late June through August will be nice for most of Colorado but pretty hot in Moab and some of southern Utah. Some of my favorite rides which you could zig zag around on;

Rt 50 from Salida to Montrose.

Off Rt 50 Rt 149 south from Gunnison is nice, there are plenty places to camp as well as lodging in Lake City.

Parallel to 149, to the west, is Rt 550 from Durango to Montrose which is very scenic but can be congested.

Further to the west near Utah is Rt 141 from Grand Junction south to Dove Creek which puts you near Mesa Verde National Park, Cliff Dwellings, Canyons of the Ancients, and just west in Utah Monument Valley.

Near Monument Valley Utah Rt 163 up to 261 to 95 along White Canyon, then up to Hanksville and 24 west to Torrey is scenic and a nice ride.

From Torrey Rt 12 south up to Boulder and continuing to Bryce is really scenic as well as a wonderful road for motorcycles.

Dream Maker
    Here's a quick idea of what you could do in 8 days and it's what I would be doing if I had that time

Sat: Down to Pikes Peak and a run to the top then across to Salida on the 285. Pikes Peak is a slow crawl but worth the effort and teh run into Salida is really good. Salida is a cool town and you can get a decent motel close to the town centre. About 285 miles

Sun: Hwy 50 over Monarch Pass and through Gunnison. Take Hwy 92 north which is a superb ride and one of the best in the area in my opinion. Ride to the second look out point then turn around and come back down. It runs alongside Black Canyon which is stunning. Back on the 50 and go into Black Canyon which is well worth a visit. Head down the 550 through Ouray and into Silverton. The ride from Ouray over the summit and into Silverton is a ride you won't forget for a long time. About 250 miles

Mon: Take the 550 to Durango, this is the Million Dollar Highway. Breakfast in Mancos (the best in the area) before going up the Mesa Grande with ancient Navajo settlements. Across to the four corners monument before heading West on the 160 and turn right on the 191 towards Bluff and heading into Mexican Hat. If you get time, ride the Valley of the Gods just north of Mexican Hat, you must do it. About 250 miles

Tue: Early start into Monument Valley and this way is the best way into the Valley (Forest Gump view). They weren't allowing bikes to ride in the NP last year but the visitors centre is a brilliant place with stunning views. Carry on down to Kayenta then back on the 160 before turning right on the 98/89 all the way through Kanab. At Mt Carmel, turn into Zion which is utterly beautiful. Through the park to the vistors centre then turn around and come back through to Mt Carmel. About 260 miles.

Wed: Early start up the Bryce Canyon which is again stunning. The canyon is an 18 mile ride in and then you have to come back out.Head east on the superb Hwy 12 which has been freshly tarmaced and is a superb ride over the Devils backbone. East on the 24 through Capitol Reef NP where you are really close to the buttes and head to Moab. Jump on the 70 and go past the first Moab junction and come into Moab on the 128 which is a beautiful ride through a canyon. Big day at around 380 miles but worth the effort.

Thur: Brilliant rides around Arches and Canyonlands NP's which are unbelievable. Stay again in Moab which is a really cool little town.

Fri: South on the 191 the east on the 49/90 the left on the spectacular 141 through Gateway. then head across toward Aspen. I would stay just West of Aspen in Carbondale. About 300 miles.

Sat: Beakfast in Aspen and over the 11,000ft Independance Pass back to Denver. About 200 miles.

That would be a brilliant trip.

Remember that you can eat miles in the US as there is little traffic.

Always head out early as you can get everything done and then relax in teh evening.

Get a National Parks pass which covers both bikes and at $80 it will save you loads of $$$$$.
    www.unchainedtours.com

"Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so powerful as hope.
    With hope, one can think, one can work, one can dream.
    If you have hope, you have everything."

http://www.unchainedtours.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Masters View Post

I'd head to Moab and rent a quad/4x4/UTV
    Hell’s Revenge is fantastic fun in a UTV

Steve

2006 K1200S > 2009 R1200GS MU > 2012 R1200RT SE > 2014 R1200GS LC