Green Lanes - How Do I Go About Route-Planning?

PhaedrusMC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I guess this question could be asked in any forum, but we're looking into Wales for a trip next year.

If planning a completely road-based route or trip, I'd use RiDE routes and BaseCamp - simple and straightforward.

In Ireland there are no legal trails/green lanes, so any we ride we do so without authorisation (but with responsibility and care), and no-one shares routes.

My understanding could be off but as many green lanes are broadly legal in UK, if we want to ride some green lanes in Snowdonia and Brecon Beacons, can I just zoom in on BaseCamp and choose any trails I like (as I would with paved roads)? And then if we come across closed or blocked routes (as I gather can happen), we simply turn around and find another alternative (legit & accessible) trail? How can I tell from BaseCamp what trails are or aren't legit? Or can I only learn that on arrival to a locked gate or No Access sign?

Riding some nice trails & lanes in these areas would be so good, but we want to be 100% legit and compliant with this.

TIA. :thumb2

I suggest that you try the TRF http://www.trf.org.uk/

+1

Don't want to make this more difficult than it needs to be but you need a good OS Map and to know which are BOATS (Byways Open to All Traffic) rather than Restricted Byways and/or Byways that have Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO's) applied.\

The guys in your local TRF are the best place to learn all this; don't be put off by the popular image of the TRF as many of these guys can really ride.

Local TRF? I'm in Dublin. I'll be visiting Wales. I tried to join TRF last night so I could call on their expertise, but the link for joining was broken. I'll try again.

Without judging anyone else's preferences, and not discounting the value of paper maps as a back-up, I personally much prefer creating and using routes with software and a GPS unit.

Local TRF? I'm in Dublin. I'll be visiting Wales. I tried to join TRF last night so I could call on their expertise, but the link for joining was broken. I'll try again.

Without judging anyone else's preferences, and not discounting the value of paper maps as a back-up, I personally much prefer creating and using routes with software and a GPS unit.

There isn't an online database of routes per se
TRF don't even have one ......yet
Individuals might have one
Local knowledge and a guide might be better as some Wales trails might be tough on a big bike 2up
PM Merlings 1200 as he has a trail ride business in Wales and he has a thread here last night offering a deal to rent his bikes - so he might have some options to guide you

The "we're" referred to me (solo on my 1150GS) and my mate (solo on his Super Tenere).

In the absence of shared gpx files (which I completely understand), can I just create my own routes by zooming in on BaseCamp and selecting any lanes I want? And then on arrival at a closed or unavailable route, just turn around, go back and find an alternative?

We're going to spend a day or two at Yamaha's Off-Road Experience and were hoping to then put our newfound awesome skillz to use in the plethora of Welsh green lanes. No interest nor intention of riding any trails that aren't 100% legit.

Two points.
It's in no ones interest that you find yourself on illegal lanes.

Given the bikes you're riding you'll be limited on which legal lanes you'd be either able or happy on.

You really need to find someone who'll give you a gpx route suitable for unsuitable bikes :)

Maps

You need to take a look at OS Maps, fortunately these days you can look at Bing Mapping online. Select the OS map option and look for the little green crosses that indicate legal byways.
I used to spend hours poring over paper maps and highlighting the trails back in my green-laning days.:rob
Even if you manage to get hold of some .gpx files, I would still take an old-fashioned map. You can pick out interesting features along the route, get a feel for whether the route is right for you by checking out gradients, the amount of water to cross etc. I'm sure the lads at the off-road school will point you in the right direction for some good trails.

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,184
You need to take a look at OS Maps, fortunately these days you can look at Bing Mapping online. Select the OS map option and look for the little green crosses that indicate legal byways.
I used to spend hours poring over paper maps and highlighting the trails back in my green-laning days.:rob
Even if you manage to get hold of some .gpx files, I would still take an old-fashioned map. You can pick out interesting features along the route, get a feel for whether the route is right for you by checking out gradients, the amount of water to cross etc. I'm sure the lads at the off-road school will point you in the right direction for some good trails.
You are mistaken in thinking that the little green crosses indicate legal byways.

Some councils provide an online database of rights of way.
As mentioned referencing OS maps is essential.

TRF's Trail magazine used to incude an advert from a Farm in mid Wales that offerred accommodation and self-guided or guided routes. Maybe worth a look.

Only at time of map making, unfortunately BOATs get closed. Sometimes it's seasonal TRO's and sometimes permanently by local councils.
TRF put a lot of work into keeping up to date info and campaigning to keep vehicular access, they are your best bet for being 100% legit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kindly explain?:confused:

According to the bloke who made the map they do.:p

I guess that OS maps are out of date by the time they hit the street. The older ones that we have indoors are well out of date.

The best bet is to speak to someone in a TRF group that covers the area that you are interested in. They will also be able to advise you on lanes which suit your bike and riding skill level.

Well, there is awesome trail riding in Wales, especially in the national park but its not a place to get lost in depoending on some dicey software app to find a way out on foot or bike!
The TRF group in Cardiff is your best bet for info on which trails are available to you, bearing in mind that many will be unsuitable for you skill level/experience/bike. There are some pretty tough trails which you would not want to go near on bigger bikes or 2 up!
They may invite you to join one of their regular ride outs, or I have known them provide a guide for the day!

I would be amazed if basecamp or any mapping software has any routes on that are legal or real, frankly! There can be some real dodgy places you would not want to end up in!
After NERC, local knowledge becomes important to know current state/accessability of trails

I will pm you with the phone number of the local organiser so yoiu can contact them to discuss what can be done

Back
Top Bottom