Tried it but didn’t like it

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Tried a 1250 rallye today, and I thought it would have more bottom end torque. Compared to my 2015 it felt fluffy and under powered at the bottom end, admittedly my GS is hill topped with a full akro, but even 80mph top gear roll ons, my GS still pulled harder and faster. Plus points is that the 1250 is really smooth at the bottom end pulling top gear down to ridiculously low speeds, mine will pull 30mph in top ok but I think the 1250 would go even lower! Not that you would but it is a gauge of how tractable the motor is. The suspension is awesome compared to mine, the semi active works really well. I personally like the TFT screen and didn’t find it a distraction but informative.
The question is would a hill topped 1250 be that much better than my 1200? personally I think not, I think with the low valve lift of the shift cam at low rpm it will always be wanting at the bottom end. But time will tell, but I honestly don’t think it’s worth me up grading just yet.

Oh my god... REALLY?

No way :D

Well you just saved yourself £7000

Yep, probably even more than that as I rack the miles up.

Shiftcam is a EU5 emissions exercise and nothing else, Dont fall for the BMW marketing hype !

Yep, probably even more than that as I rack the miles up.

When the 'natural' time comes, the new bike will be a really nice update.

But no need to be rushing out into the claws of BMW, in my opinion.

It takes a couple of years just to settle with a nice bike. Mines got a couple years left at least.

To me its so blatant. Good work by them convincing the motorcycling world otherwise.

Last seen riding a scoot in the Mexican mountains, but more likely in Deutschland............;)

Smog
Look at the time of your last post....... 100 years ..... spooky :eek:

The low valve lift will soften the power low down, its mainly for emissions,
The majority of petrol car engines are using variable valve timing to improve emissions,
the miller cycle uses delayed intake timing / lower lift to reduce oxygen volume , negating the need for egr but still having a full compression stroke,
The ability to change to a full charge of air via high lift / earlier intake gives the benefit of full power for acellerating,
Ducati have variable timing, others may filter through in the near future,,

I tried a 1250 Rallye today .
It’s purely my own opinion but I was very underwhelmed.
The motor was actually the best bit. Not as quick as I was expecting but very tractable and pulled from very low down .

The GSAP was also very smooth both up and down .

BUT I really didn’t like the ESA suspension. Both in Dynamic and Road it was far too firm and I could feel every bump and rut, which my 1290R wound have cruised over . Riding back the same way on my 800 was so much more comfortable.

And what the hell is going on with the switch gear ?

The cruise switch was actually stuck and wouldn’t work initially until I freed it up by gently toggling it .

I really think some manufacturers have lost the plot , but I’m obviously getting old . The 800 felt so much better built and not over-complicated and for me , my ATAS is so much better , with a nicer motor and much more compliant suspension, especially with a set of Hyperpros fitted .

Like I said , just my opinion .

BUT I really didn’t like the ESA suspension. Both in Dynamic and Road it was far too firm and I could feel every bump and rut, which my 1290R wound have cruised over .

You just summed up why I chopped my gsa in for a 1290 R - manually adjustable analogue suspension.

I grew to dislike the auto-preload and esa with a passion.

Suits some fine though, diffrnt strokes n all that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

...Plus points is that the 1250 is really smooth at the bottom end pulling top gear down to ridiculously low speeds...
...The suspension is awesome compared to mine, the semi active works really well...
...I personally like the TFT screen and didn’t find it a distraction but informative...

Yeah... you really didn't like it...

Is that worth 10000€ over my bike, the difference is not that great, I like the tft screen but not that much. My bike doesn’t have the active suspension like the later 1200s do, so for me the perfect bike would be a 1200rallye with a tft screen and my engine set up. I like my bikes to be a little raw, if I wanted super smooth I would buy a k1600.

Back
Top Bottom