Fitting an F650S engine into an XCountry

Schtum

Iconoclast
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are major differences between the engines in XCountry and F650GS?

I have agreed to purchase a tuned F650GS engine which was originally prepared by Touratech, for a certain minor celebrity's campaign in the 2006 Dakar Rally. It was a spare and has never been run in anger and has been sitting on a pallet, in a friend's garage, for the past few years.

I'll obviously need to establish its mechanical condition before attempting to fit it and getting it to run on the provided race ECU. However, thinking ahead, I'm wondering if it is going to fit into the XCountry frame easily.

It was apparently dyno'd at 72 bhp....:D

I think mechanically with a bit of light fettling it will fit ( oil lines are different I seem to remember) . My biggest concern would be getting the F650 ECU to work with the rest of the electrics on the bike so will be interesting how you get on - good luck , keep us posted .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think mechanically with a bit of light fettling it will fit ( oil lines are different I seem to remember) . My biggest concern would be getting the F650 ECU to work with the rest of the electrics on the bike so will be interesting how you get on - good luck , keep us posted .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can check but may still have a spare re mapped ECU from the original tuned rally engines, you won't be getting anything like 72 bhp without it :)

I can check but may still have a spare re mapped ECU from the original tuned rally engines, you won't be getting anything like 72 bhp without it :)

Thanks Tim. This engine comes with a race ECU and a number of other factory parts.

That is the kind of thing I was wondering about. If it doesn't fit, I might be looking for an F650GS or maybe even a Scarver to put it in.

Personally I wouldn't bother, my ex Dakar bike had a new race engine plus everything else ie. 50mm Marzocchi fork, real rear shock etc. etc, etc. and handled well ....unlike a F650 or flippin Scarver
Ok it was fun for a while but only on dry, open trails.

These days my well sorted KTM 640 knocks spots off it in every single respect.

449471687_gyjY3-XL-XL.jpg

Meanwhile, a well a well ridden F6509GS Dakar 'Submariner' ...

i-Wt6vMpF-L.jpg

:D
:beerjug:

Personally I wouldn't bother, my ex Dakar bike had a new race engine plus everything else ie. 50mm Marzocchi fork, real rear shock etc. etc, etc. and handled well ....unlike a F650 or flippin Scarver
Ok it was fun for a while but only on dry, open trails.

These days my well sorted KTM 640 knocks spots off it in every single respect.

However, since there's virtually nowhere in Scotland where we can legally ride off road, the aim of this exercise is to give the XCountry a fair bit more on road grunt.

If it helps a little, I know the Sertao engine goes in the xchallenge.

David Logan of Ride unlimited fame had to swap the engines last minute on his bike not long before they set off.

Does anyone know if there are major differences between the engines in XCountry and F650GS?

I have agreed to purchase a tuned F650GS engine which was originally prepared by Touratech, for a certain minor celebrity's campaign in the 2006 Dakar Rally. It was a spare and has never been run in anger and has been sitting on a pallet, in a friend's garage, for the past few years.

I'll obviously need to establish its mechanical condition before attempting to fit it and getting it to run on the provided race ECU. However, thinking ahead, I'm wondering if it is going to fit into the XCountry frame easily.

It was apparently dyno'd at 72 bhp....:D

Did you manage to get this fitted in anything and if so, how different it is to a standard bike? I was under the impression the R2D motors were pretty much stock with a reprogrammed ecu. It would be interesting to know what has been done to the motor and what the current figures are. I wonder if the ECU can be cloned?

Did you manage to get this fitted in anything and if so, how different it is to a standard bike? I was under the impression the R2D motors were pretty much stock with a reprogrammed ecu. It would be interesting to know what has been done to the motor and what the current figures are. I wonder if the ECU can be cloned?

No further progress at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom