Standard Xcountry seat wanted

sye

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Long shot I know but does anyone have a standard Xcountry seat in good condition that they would like to sell please?

My seat base is badly damaged around the locating pin and is not secure. I have no idea how someone managed it but part of the base has been detached from the rest. Someone has tried, unsuccessfully to glue it together with snot.

Don't ditch your old seat either - I have already pout a shout out for one... Nicholson sold a spare seat with his bike and I have already put a dibs in for that one...no joy so far! A friend has no seat at all... so even your broken one would be an improvement for him. :thumby:

Don't ditch your old seat either - I have already pout a shout out for one... Nicholson sold a spare seat with his bike and I have already put a dibs in for that one...no joy so far! A friend has no seat at all... so even your broken one would be an improvement for him. :thumby:

Thanks for the heads up. :thumb2 I'm going to have a go at repairing the break but have to give it a severe looking at first. I suspect that the seat is ABS plastic, so may be a bit of a PITA to repair.

Right ho, a few hours later and I've attempted a repair, so time will tell. The area around the locating pin has been snapped somehow. Probably by someone levering the seat until it snapped, maybe because the release had snapped or wasn't working? :nenau Cleaned it all up, gave it a good scuffing and applied chemical metal to the edges. Pulled the pieces together and then applied some fine webbing overlapping the sides and filled the lot with chemical metal too. Lets see how long it lasts.

As an aside and if I get stuck, has anyone got or tried a Kahedo seat? Any good, shite, indifferent or don't bother?

Hi Sye,

Perhaps a plastic welder could help with your seat? In the past this company has successfully repaired plastic parts for me.

I've had a Kahedo seat on my X bike for a few years - just about to get it re-foamed and re-covered by a local firm.

Kind regards,

Ian.

Hi Sye,

Perhaps a plastic welder could help with your seat? In the past this company has successfully repaired plastic parts for me.

I've had a Kahedo seat on my X bike for a few years - just about to get it re-foamed and re-covered by a local firm.

Kind regards,

Ian.

What's your verdict on the Kahedo seat Ian and would you buy one again?

I have the beginnings of a plan to buy one, wrap the original and store it. If I ever sell the bike I can sell the seat separately and put the repaired one on the bike.

Tell me more about this 'ere Kahedo seat lark please - might be exactly what Andy needs.

I can't do it anyway as they rebuild your seat base and mine is damaged. Not many options unless I buy a Corbyn and sell a body part. Going to try plastic welding.

They rebuild your original seat Ash.

What's your verdict on the Kahedo seat Ian and would you buy one again?

I have the beginnings of a plan to buy one, wrap the original and store it. If I ever sell the bike I can sell the seat separately and put the repaired one on the bike.

All subjective and a few years ago, but I recall the Kahedo seat being better than stock. The foam's worn out again now though so I'm planning on getting it re-foamed and probably re-covered by a local firm. I've concluded that the seat foam should be treated as a service item, perhaps renewed at the same time as the chain and sprockets.

All that said if I could get a Corbin seat for the XChallenge I would buy one of those.

I can't do it anyway as they rebuild your seat base and mine is damaged. Not many options unless I buy a Corbyn and sell a body part. Going to try plastic welding.

You've got much better things to sell than any of your body parts....:fbthumb

It's the seat locating lug on the subframe that's broken on mine. The answer to that one is probably the steel subframe from one of the 2009 bikes.

Get another lug welded on Mike. £20, 30 minutes and jobs a good un.

Update - Success, I've managed to repair it and can't break it, so it should be good to go. Removed the seat cover and foam, then bought a nozzle to fit on the hot-air paint stripping gun I have. Like this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HS102K-3...006746&hash=item2ab59bc04b:g:hJAAAOSwBzpbnSDz
It's made from Polypropelene, so bought some 3mm triangular profile rods from Fleabay, searched for tutorials and found loads on pootube. Gave it a go and then sanded it down with 120 grit and it worked! Not professional looking but good enough for me. I stapled the seat cover back on and hey presto, it looks like this. :D

The seat cover could do with replacing but I couldn't find one anywhere, so the old one went back on. At least I now have a usable seat that won't fall off.

Attachments

• Seat-repair.jpg
    Seat-repair.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 79
Cracking work Gromett... :thumb

Back
Top Bottom