Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Summer 2019, UK and Scotland

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

There is only one big city in the UK, that is London. That is simple maths.

That is not to suggest that the lesser cities are not its equal, at least in some respects. Edinburgh is a capital, after all.

I am sure that the fellow will have a great holiday and he’ll never want to go back to New York. Fingers crossed for the weather; if he’d have done it in 2018, he’d have been laughing. In 2019 he might be swimming.

PS The Finns are probably the equal of Jocks when it comes to midges. They maybe even beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    There is only one biggest city in the UK, that is London. That is simple maths.

That is not to suggest that the smaller big cities are not its equal, at least in some respects.

I am sure that the fellow will have a great holiday and he’ll never want to go back to New York. Fingers crossed for the weather; if he’d have done it in 2018, he’d have been laughing. In 2019 he might be swimming.

PS The Finns are probably the equal of Jocks when it comes to midges. They maybe even beat them.
    That's better.

Lot's of tips , thank you very much!

Couple of things that came into my mind when reading your comments...
    What I've learned while riding around europe:
    -Even small villages will slow down your average speed when there is a village after a village. And there are, at least in germany, Poland and in England. In Finland we can easily maintain 80 km/h average speed as here are not so much villages.
    -Within 2 weeks I can not see everything.
    -Every bigger city is painful when riding throug.
    -Many cities in Europe has "old town" which I'd like to see. And walk throug. Keep in mind that when you built castles there, we were living in caves
    -Whisky and motorbike is a very bad combination. But visiting maybe one distillery is something I'll do.

And yes, we have midges. Lot's of them

Quote Originally Posted by gspod View Post
    There’s a couple of Americans posting a RR of the UK and Ireland trip they did in the summer on the ABR forum at the moment. Might give you a few ideas and a little inspiration.
    It’s called “left to live”

Which ferry port are you using?
    This time I'll put my bike to a truck both ways. I have only 4 weeks vacation which of 2 weeks I'll stay on my cottage.
    Riding from Finland to England takes too many days. Better ride there that remainig 2 weeks.

Finland

338,424 km2 (130,666 sq mi) - Pop. 5.5m

UK

242,495 km2 (93,628 sq mi) - Pop. 66m

Scotland

77,933 km2 (30,090 sq mi) - Pop. 5.4m

Yup, it’s a lot less busy in Finland and Jockland is pretty empty, too.

Good plan on trucking the bike over. I met some fun Finns in Bavaria, who’d ridden their Ducati bikes there.

Can you tell us the name of the trucking company you use, please? It might be useful, for anyone going the other way, perhaps?

As you can see from the demographics, the UK is quite a small place. Most if not all of the largest towns and cities have pretty good ringroads so you can avoid the real middles. You can ride Epping to York in a day, easy. I guess I would aim for:

Ride two days, day off. Ride two days, day off. That way you make it a riding holiday and a see something holiday. For example, on the end of day two, you’d be in Edinburgh, a fine city (and I’m very English) to spend a day on the tourist stuff. That’s roughly how we did our lap of Germany and a lap of France I did.

PS A great place Finland. I used to go quite a lot, doing some work for UPM and Stora-Enso.

Summer 2019, UK and Scotland

I’m not suggesting you pay to go on it but you could very easily work out where this BMW branded tour goes and copy / adapt it. On paper at least it looks like it would give you a pretty good look at Scotland, leave you time for sightseeing and still leave you enough to get up from Epping and back again.

http://www.motorrad-tours.com/tours/...s-and-islands/

Duration 6 Days / 7 Nights

Distance 1,150 Miles / 1,850 Kms

My suggestion would be to plot the places on the other routes I put up in this thread to see how they might match-up

You can see already that the route I lifted from the Alpentourer magazine is, not surprisingly, pretty similar to that from BMW:

This site may give you some good ideas:

https://www.motorcyclescotland.com/

You could adapt (with a bit of imagination) some of the ideas from this site:

https://www.haggisadventures.com/

Play about in here:

https://www.visitscotland.com

https://www.nts.org.uk/

This, if you spent £15 this might work but other than maybe giving you more detail on the routes, you could probably do it all yourself:

http://www.highlandmotorcyclehols.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Good plan on trucking the bike over. I met some fun Finns in Bavaria, who’d ridden their Ducati bikes there.

Can you tell us the name of the trucking company you use, please? It might be useful, for anyone going the other way, perhaps?

As you can see from the demographics, the UK is quite a small place. Most if not all of the largest towns and cities have pretty good ringroads so you can avoid the real middles. You can ride Epping to York in a day, easy. I guess I would aim for:

Ride two days, day off. Ride two days, day off. That way you make it a riding holiday and a see something holiday. For example, on the end of day two, you’d be in Edinburgh, a fine city (and I’m very English) to spend a day on the tourist stuff. That’s roughly how we did our lap of Germany and a lap of France I did.

PS A great place Finland. I used to go quite a lot, doing some work for UPM and Stora-Enso.
    The transportation company is Motologistica (http://motologistica.fi/), I couldn't find english pages...
    They have terminals in Tampere and Epping, near North Weld. Or the terminal there is AMG North Weld. Very simple to deal with them, you just drop your bike and gears there and they'll do the rest. In Epping it might take little longer as one of the guys there has / had GSA too

Thank you.

North Weald is the site of a famous Battle of Britain fighter aircraft base. It’s very convenient for anyone to the north east or east of London to get to and easy to ride north from for your holiday. If I were looking to go to Finland from London, I would definitely investigate their services.

Quote Originally Posted by siraulu View Post
    The transportation company is Motologistica (http://motologistica.fi/), I couldn't find english pages...
    They have terminals in Tampere and Epping, near North Weld. Or the terminal there is AMG North Weld. Very simple to deal with them, you just drop your bike and gears there and they'll do the rest. In Epping it might take little longer as one of the guys there has / had GSA too
    Hi from sunny Scotland ,, I wonder if you would be able to contact the logistics company to see if they have an English version of their web site , I am interested in this service as I enjoy riding in Sandinavia in the summer ,, but it IS a long haul from Scotland
    Normal ,in an odd sort of way

You could call AMG, who are their counterparty in the UK, I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Hi from sunny Scotland ,, I wonder if you would be able to contact the logistics company to see if they have an English version of their web site , I am interested in this service as I enjoy riding in Sandinavia in the summer ,, but it IS a long haul from Scotland
    Ye what he said

Summer 2019, UK and Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
    Ye what he said
    See post #43. You could have a race with your fellow countryman to see who can speak to them first.

I made some changes to my initial route, based on your suggestions.
    There was one weird thing with Garmin Basecamp. If I'll try to do a route from Buccleuch Arms to Liverpool via Dalveen pass, then Basecamp wants me to drive from Dalveen pass to Plymouth and then to Liverpool . Route options are "Faster time" and nothing to avoid. Sometimes I wonder how Basecamp calculates the route

Inserting one shaping point to Dumfries will shorten the the route from 1200 km to 351 km. Basecamp is so amazing

If you post your BaseCamp problem in the GPS section, someone might be able to work out what’s happening.

It's not a real problem, Basecamp just makes so funny routes sometimes. I've learned to live with it.

The best route I've seen was when I planend a route from Lappeenranta to Salla, Lapland. That's 800 km straight to north.
    But Basecamp wanted to go first to Tallinn, Estonia, then Turku, Finland, Stockholm, Sweden, back to Finland and little by little to Salla. That was about 3000 km.
    It just needs shaping points.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123