Thread: MacOS - future versions

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

MacOS - future versions

Running a 2015 MacBook Pro on Mojave 10.14, I keep getting messages popping up that software needs updating and will not work on future updates of the OS. I understand that this is because they are going to 64 bit and the software is currently 32 bit.

I currently use Office for MacBook 2011 which I bought at the time of purchasing the Mac and a "version" of Adobe Creative Suite CS6. I don't suppose Microsoft or Adobe will be updating to 64 bit so I would have to resort to paying for their latest internet based versions which I do not want. Alternatively I suppose I could gravitate toward the free versions which are out there somewhere but wasn't too impressed with them before.

The answer would appear to be to not upgrade the OS but would that leave me vulnerable? Will they let us know when the final switch will happen, will it happen without prior notice at version 10.** or will we get another system named after another US geographical feature.

Please make an old man happy and enlighten him on what is likely to happen.........
    It's nice to be nice.........

I’ve usually regretted upgrading computer or phone - if it works leave it alone is my motto

I'm running the latest version on my 2012 MacBook Air, I haven't had any messages

Gone Fishin' Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Lots of internet advice NOT to upgrade to iOS 12.1

Quote Originally Posted by shuck raider View Post
    Lots of internet advice NOT to upgrade to iOS 12.1
    Oh dear forgive him............

The answer would appear to be to not upgrade the OS but would that leave me vulnerable?
    Vulnerable? No.

CS6 is a bit dated nowadays to be fair.
    Creative Cloud subscription is not that bad (you get a lot of software and services for 50 a month). You just have to be careful with upgrades
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    [I'm the biggest limit on my bike] [flickr]

Am running High Sierra on both Mac Mini and MacBook Air, both 2013. Have Basecamp on both. It is good once you understand it. Has anyone upgraded to Mojave and does BC work on it. Mojave is only supporting 64bit apps, while BC runs on 32. Has Garmin any intention of making BC available in 64 and if so when will it be available?

Basecamp works on Mojave.
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    [I'm the biggest limit on my bike] [flickr]

Wot Larks Pip! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Running High Sierra 10.13 on my 2011 mac book. Can’t say I’ve heard of Mojave.
    Pas d’elle yeux Rhône que nous.

Plenty of good alternatives for Adobe CS without subscriptions.

Affinity, in particular, is an excellent and familiar photo editor.
    There can only be 11 and I'm one.

My pics

Quote Originally Posted by stolzy View Post
    Plenty of good alternatives for Adobe CS without subscriptions.

Affinity, in particular, is an excellent and familiar photo editor.
    Affinity Photo is superb. Unbelievable value for money.

D.

I would have thought if it was similar to a PC upgrade i.e. from 32 to 64 bit on the same PC then the 32 bit versions may still run after the upgrade

Apparently not however

Apple first introduced support for 64-bit apps way back in 2007 with the release of OS X Leopard, and last year’s macOS High Sierra release was the last to support 32-bit apps “without compromise”, according to Apple.Back in April, Apple started pushing a notification to users on macOS 10.13.4 when opening 32-bit apps, warning that the app would need to be updated and optimized by the developer
    https://9to5mac.com/2018/06/05/macos...2-bit-support/

There is one more thing… CleanMyMac X, released last week and included with Setapp subscriptions, has an uninstaller module that can be filtered to show only 32-bit apps. I’ve not tried it yet (I’m not ready to remove 32-bit apps yet for reasons stated previously), but it’s the first app I’ve found that can not only identify 32-bit apps, but also bulk delete them along with their associated cruft.
    https://www.macobserver.com/columns-...4-32-bit-apps/
    Caution : May stop suddenly