Tyre valves

gspod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I usually do air pressures at home but we popped into a local garage to do them the other day and the valves, on my wife’s 1200gs LC, were too small for the forecourt pump :nenau

I did manage to push them home and get air in but it was a real faff.
Was the pump faulty - it didn’t look it?

Thanks

I've found on some newish bikes that the valve stem isn't long enough for many garage air line nozzles to fit properly.
Also, some are at just the wrong angle or set too far between wheel spokes.

I just carry a 90 degree valve stem adaptor in my bike jacket and screw that on if there's any difficulty.

I've found on some newish bikes that the valve stem isn't long enough for many garage air line nozzles to fit properly.

I just carry a 90 degree valve stem adaptor in my bike jacket and screw that on if there's any difficulty.

Agree on that point, I have one of these in the jacket, had it from Harley days, as rear wheel was a pain in the........

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connect-35084-210mm-Michelin-Extension-Flexible/dp/B007SU940M?th=1

I usually do air pressures at home but we popped into a local garage to do them the other day and the valves, on my wife’s 1200gs LC, were too small for the forecourt pump :nenau

I did manage to push them home and get air in but it was a real faff.
Was the pump faulty - it didn’t look it?

Thanks
Pop into your local Halfords. They have 90deg adaptors for £4.99 in the motorcycle section, which are ideal for spoked wheels and also work on alloys with short valves. Just put them on when using forecourt air lines. Always carry one when touring.

The valve body that screws into alloys is a bit short, IMHO.

I think this is a Tire Pressure Monitor issue. On the TPM wheels the stem is screwed to the rim with a large nut to keep it stable. The nut makes the available length on the stem shorter, to the point where some of the gas station filler necks get blocked by the nut. Either try a different gas station or get a 90 degree bend as linked above.

I think this is a Tire Pressure Monitor issue. On the TPM wheels the stem is screwed to the rim with a large nut to keep it stable. The nut makes the available length on the stem shorter, to the point where some of the gas station filler necks get blocked by the nut. Either try a different gas station or get a 90 degree bend as linked above.

TPMS - Not on alloy wheels it isn't.

Derm, I've a spare 90º valve stem if you want it.

Remind me to bring it to the next gathering we're both attending.

I've had the same problem on my 2017 LC. + 1 on the above solution.

Correct me if I am wrong but I heard that if you had tyre pressure sensors in the wheels, you either could not use the 90 angle or needed a special one.......:nenau

Back
Top Bottom