Sat nav connection to 1100GS

donkeydoo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
All this talk about sat nav's for sale has made me think I may like one myself, before I take the plunge and go and buy something that is worth a tidy sum can someone just clear something up for me.

Is there a connector that I can use so I can wire one of these into my 1100GS?

I have usb upfront or is there another way or can it not be used?

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

• 77-52-7-721-941mount.jpg
    77-52-7-721-941mount.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 340
No, not on the 1100

You should be able to extend the cable on one of those plugs and connect to the battery terminals plus fit a fuse.

I can’t remember which of the two plugs it is. If you haven’t bought that yet and plan on getting anything from a Garmin Zumo 660 through to a Nav VI a powered Garmin Zumo 660 mount will have the battery lead ready to go and will suit any of those sat navs.

No, not on the 1100

You should be able to extend the cable on one of those plugs and connect to the battery terminals plus fit a fuse.

I can’t remember which of the two plugs it is. If you haven’t bought that yet and plan on getting anything from a Garmin Zumo 660 through to a Nav VI a powered Garmin Zumo 660 mount will have the battery lead ready to go and will suit any of those sat navs.

But surely it will be draining the battery even when the GPS is removed unless a switch is fitted

Shouldn’t do, it’s how the standard Garmin Zumo 660 powered mount is supplied

Ahh, so the mount itself has a switch that works automatically when the 660 is removed?

Cheers guys, I am sort of OK with electrics what would be the best, easiest safest way to wire it in?

Also just curious I have a spare connector which is not being used just under the front of the fuel tank, not sure if it is for heated grips, could this somehow be used?

Cheers again

Mark

Are they safe or can the sat navs fall out of the cradles or do people get the Touratech locking mounts for extra security?
y

i bought an simple unobtrusive locking mount (the touratech one is mahoosive) for my 390 but only so i can leave it on when i go in to shops. the garmin cradle locking system seems robust enough and i never worried about it popping out.

I bought a zumolock for 80 euro, but then found something almost identical for half the price:

http://zumoaccessories.com/

ive wired mine in to ignition switched power.

I have now got the Nav IV and cradle, got a nice deal off a mate, stupid question I know but would it be easier for me to fit the sat nav without the 4 button cradle, does it have it's advantages or is it overkill on my old GS..

another option?

I have a Garmin 550 so it might be different with the 660?

Mine is hard wired into the brake light, so is only powered up when ignition is switched on. Positive to battery, negative to pale blue/grey wire for brake light. No chance of draining the battery.

Connect it to the low beam using piggy-back connectors; on-off with ignition and less wiring to contend with.

NB: If you leave the older GPS mounts permanently live the connectors will eventually fail; very common on the 550 in particular.

Cheers again all for the suggestions and advice, once again what a great place to visit.

So if I stick with and use the 4 button thingy is there a connector that I am to use to be able to wire it in and which one of the 2 connectors do I use?

Cheers again

Still looking around at the best way can I use part number 83 30 0 413 586 repair wire to connect the cradle to my 1100gs?

cheers again

FYI the later Nav series use the same mount as the zumo 660. The 590/595 zumo cradle looks the same but is slightly different

Back
Top Bottom