electrical problem

Brianabbot

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently stripped down my 2000 1150 gs as I wanted to respray it. Finally today I managed to get the bike back together but I have a weird electrical problem. I’m sure I’ve done something daft and I’m hoping someone may be able to give me some ideas of where to look.

The bike starts and runs and everything seems to work apart from the brake light. When I apply the brake the Rev counter stops working and the dash lights flicker. I have cleaned all the connectors I took apart with contact cleaner and I have looked over the bike for trapped wires etc, I think the neutral light is also a bit weak but I’m not 100% sure as it’s taken me a month to do all the work and I can’t quite remember what it was like before.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks
Brian

Hi, thanks I’ll check the brake switches, I have just checked the dash plugs situated under the tank. I also tried disconnecting the front brake switch connector and operating the rear brake but the bulb still does not light up. The bulb is ok as I swapped the brake and rear light connectors to check the filament. I’ll have another look in the morning as I can’t remember whether the Rev counter stopped when I used the rear brake on its own.
Thanks for the help
Brian

Hi again, I’m not great with this sort of thing to be honest, so this morning I’ve unplugged both switches - put my test light on the positive battery terminal and both wires leading to the switches. Neither wire lights the test light so I think that means there is no leak to earth. If I then probe the other side of the plug (the two wires leading away from the switches) the green/black stripe wire lights the test light (with and without the bulb in the holder) all this is with the ignition off. I thought that neither wire should light up until the switch was depressed or have I got this totally wrong. I’m at a bit of a loss now so any help would be great.
Thanks
Brian

I think you're mixing up which wires are at which side of the switch. The green/black is the positive feed from the fuse box (fuse 1 [4A]).

I wonder if you've connected them the wrong way, causing a short to ground when the pedal is pressed? Also, check fuse 1 as you may have blown it.

This might help:
R1150GS Lighting with Stop Light.jpg

EDIT:
Another possibility: check that the metal tangs inside the lamp (the metal contacts that touch the bulb) aren't shorting against the earth.

Hi thanks for all the help it’s all sorted out now, I ended up in un clipping the wiring everywhere and found when I wiggled a part of the loom with connectors it all worked so I’ve cleaned everything up and scraped off some green corrosion and it’s all working perfectly now

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom