Time to change?

daviedevs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I currently have a 66 reg GSA 1200 that I mainly use for 2 up tours around Europe twice a year.

I’m drawn towards the new 1250 RT....anyone on here have a valid reason why I shouldn’t change?

I do love the GSA and it has all the bells and whistles so does its job really well....but the weather protection etc on the RT attracts me.

Anyone get a view on this?

I did ride a 2008 RT on a test ride prior to buying the GSA and enjoyed it....but SWMBO said it was for old people!

Thanks.

I currently have a 66 reg GSA 1200 that I mainly use for 2 up tours around Europe twice a year.

I’m drawn towards the new 1250 RT....anyone on here have a valid reason why I shouldn’t change?

I do love the GSA and it has all the bells and whistles so does its job really well....but the weather protection etc on the RT attracts me.

Anyone get a view on this?

I did ride a 2008 RT on a test ride prior to buying the GSA and enjoyed it....but SWMBO said it was for old people!

Thanks.
I love the RT, but I personally would prefer not to buy any bike or car from the first year of production. I like to let any weaknesses become someone else's problem.

I would go for it, its basically only an engine change, not a complete new model. You have a 3 year warranty, they will have presumably put a lot of testing in on the new engine. I am considering changing my 2014 bike to one. Although I haven't ridden one yet for comparison.

I would go for it, its basically only an engine change, not a complete new model. You have a 3 year warranty, they will have presumably put a lot of testing in on the new engine. I am considering changing my 2014 bike to one. Although I haven't ridden one yet for comparison.

Ride one and see - see my brief ride report yesterday under new 1250RT , I am not longing for one (like I assumed I would be !)

Ride one and see - see my brief ride report yesterday under new 1250RT , I am not longing for one (like I assumed I would be !)

I will, I don't normally change my bikes very often, I bought my 2014 with 1k on it, I have put 17k on it in the 3 years I've had it, and have no issues with it at all, still really like it :)

The one I rode felt just like my 2017 1200RT but the stopwatch didn't lie. The bike feels pretty much identical but it is significantly quicker. I don't use that aspect of my bike very often so there is no real pull there to change bikes.

I will, I don't normally change my bikes very often, I bought my 2014 with 1k on it, I have put 17k on it in the 3 years I've had it, and have no issues with it at all, still really like it :)

The test ride is definitely worth it. The gear change is MUCH sweeter than the earlier Wetheads such as yours. the 3 year warranty is an appeal, otherwise...mwah - no big deal.

The one I rode felt just like my 2017 1200RT but the stopwatch didn't lie. The bike feels pretty much identical but it is significantly quicker. I don't use that aspect of my bike very often so there is no real pull there to change bikes.

The test ride is definitely worth it. The gear change is MUCH sweeter than the earlier Wetheads such as yours. the 3 year warranty is an appeal, otherwise...mwah - no big deal.

I'll try the one at CWs probably next year :) Unless something breaks before then and I'm there for something

And from some yank mag. Weird.

Ok, I'll point it out as obviously some people are struggling with "an alternative" bike even though the OP is looking at a BMW touring bike and asked "Anyone got a view on this?"

A K1600 of some description fits all his criteria and I thought it worth putting one in the frame - no harm done if he does not like the idea, it's a friendly suggestion which looks to be giving offence for a reason I cannot quite grasp/ :nenau

James

Ok, I'll point it out as obviously some people are struggling with "an alternative" bike even though the OP is looking at a BMW touring bike and asked "Anyone got a view on this?"

A K1600 of some description fits all his criteria and I thought it worth putting one in the frame - no harm done if he does not like the idea, it's a friendly suggestion which looks to be giving offence for a reason I cannot quite grasp/ :nenau

James

Nobody has taken offence at all, but the OP didn't mention a touring bike they specifically said "I’m drawn towards the new 1250 RT....anyone on here have a valid reason why I shouldn’t change?". Plus it was posted in the RT forum. So posting a review of a K1600 vs a Pan, was a bit off piste, but still a good review. So no need to point anything out :)

James

Hi James, the reason folk responded the way they did, was the fact that you posted a link with no explanation of why you posted it. On it's own it was TOTALLY out of context. Now you have added pertinent information it now is in context and we get it.

...her indoors has spoken!

On what basis? Looks or comfort? I can understand if comfort is an issue ( my wife was pregnant 4 months when we were touring on the R1100S:cool: ) however if it is looks surely is your decision? Do you have a say in the choice of handbags, shoes or jewellery she buys?
Personally I would wait 2/3 years, especially if it come with TFT screen :thumb2

Having experienced both the RT and GSA I am surprised that weather protection is a criteria to change. Yes, the RT is better but the GSA is pretty close. Admittedly I am not what is called here Tosser size...
Good excuse for a new bike though!

Back
Top Bottom