Connecting iPhone to Mac OS X

stolzy

Reaction score
I'm guessing this is impossible, but just in case someone's come across it . . .

I'm trying to connect a new iPhone XS to iTunes (12.8.0.150) on a mid-2010 MacPro (Mac OSX 10.13.6)

iTunes can connect to my old iPhone, but not to the new one.

I'm currently presuming that the iPhone needs a more recent version of iTunes than I've currently got or can install.

Unless you've got a better idea?

That’s what I found with an older laptop that wouldn’t update ITunes - no connectivity (other than just apps that could share files)

I guess you have to update your iTunes on the MacBook, but if you update the iOS on the MacBook - you can run into issues with MS-Office (if you are using that, that is)

That’s what I found with an older laptop that wouldn’t update ITunes - no connectivity (other than just apps that could share files)

I guess you have to update your iTunes on the MacBook, but if you update the iOS on the MacBook - you can run into issues with MS-Office (if you are using that, that is)
Seems you can't update iTunes without updating to Mojave and I can't do that because my graphics cards aren't compatible.

Looks like I'm stuck.:mad:

Any help

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209142

Reinstall iTunes 12.8

iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max require a Mac running at least OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 or later and iTunes 12.8 or later to sync and back up with iTunes.

To upgrade iTunes, use these steps:

If it's open, quit iTunes.
If your iOS device is connected to your Mac using USB, disconnect the cord.
Download iTunes 12.8 from Apple and install it on your Mac.
Unlock your iOS device, and while the home screen is visible, reconnect it to your Mac using USB.
Open iTunes.
When you see a message that says "A software update is required to connect to this [device]," click Install. Learn more about what to do when you see this message.

Get more help if iTunes still doesn't recognize your device.

Restart phone, use decent cable.

Make sure trust the computer was clicked.

The specs are high enough to sync the XS.

Call applecare
That worked (more than 2 hrs). Managed to upgrade iTunes and get the phone to connect.
Problem now is that when I try to reboot the computer it hangs with a message saying it cannot complete the MacOS upgrade (which I never ordered) and pages and pages of boot log error..

Seems that its trying to upgrade to Mojave on its own.

Back
Top Bottom