Connecting Sena to satnav and mobile phone

wispyone

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I decided to treat myself at the NEC bike show so purchased a Schuberth C3 pro and Sena SC 10u. I have never used a Comms system before so this is a sharp learning curve.
I have the Sena kit installed in the helmet and connected to my mobile (Samsung S8) and also Satnav (Garmin 590).

Now the kit will play music from both mobile and satnav and whilst playing music from the satnav it is interrupted when there is a phone call and once the call ended the music resumes.

What I haven't being able to work out yet is can I play music from the satnav (to preserve the mobile battery) or will the voice directions keep cutting the music?
I haven't as yet being able to test it on the bike.

Cheers

Richard

I have a Sena SMH5 & Garmin 550

The garmin has bluetooth, and is capable of music streaming via bluetooth along with nav instructions ...

However for some bizzare reason the bluetooth chip used is a mono type, and the connection to the Sena is shoite to say the least.

Mono, choppy and sounds like a mistuned FM radio

So i stream audio from my phone to the Sena, and Nav instructions from the garmin to my Sena

not ideal, as i have to do it in a certain order otherwise i loose either media audio or nav audio

it may be better on later nav units ;)

In terms of what you hear , the nav breaks over the media audio when its required and the media continues in the background

but given the nav instructions are hardly intrusive or every junction, means you dont loose a lot of media playback

I decided to treat myself at the NEC bike show so purchased a Schuberth C3 pro and Sena SC 10u. I have never used a Comms system before so this is a sharp learning curve.
I have the Sena kit installed in the helmet and connected to my mobile (Samsung S8) and also Satnav (Garmin 590).
+1... I also bought the same bundle. A really good deal!!!

Managed to get the thing installed into the helmet after a bit of fiddling. Managed to get the Intercom working with another Sena (works well around the house!). Managed to hear the Sena's FM Radio :)

Next step is to pair to the bike and my Sony Xperia phone (and possible a NAV6 if I decide to buy one).

A bit fiddly with the sequences for pressing the +and - buttons. Won;t be easy with gloves on whilst riding. I hope the battery life is good!

Keen to hear how this thread unfolds...

I have a Sena SMH5 & Garmin 550

The garmin has bluetooth, and is capable of music streaming via bluetooth along with nav instructions ...

However for some bizzare reason the bluetooth chip used is a mono type, and the connection to the Sena is shoite to say the least.

Mono, choppy and sounds like a mistuned FM radio

So i stream audio from my phone to the Sena, and Nav instructions from the garmin to my Sena

not ideal, as i have to do it in a certain order otherwise i loose either media audio or nav audio

it may be better on later nav units ;)

In terms of what you hear , the nav breaks over the media audio when its required and the media continues in the background

but given the nav instructions are hardly intrusive or every junction, means you dont loose a lot of media playback

Cheers for the reply Santa.

I hope to be able to play music through the Sat Nav rather than mobile as it is wired in and won't kill the mobile battery. Due to work commitments etc it will probably be a week or so before I can get out and try it.

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that rather than connecting both sat nav and mobile to the Sena I should connect sat nav to Sena and mobile to the sat nav or is it the other way round?

Roll on play time when I can get out

Richard

+1... I also bought the same bundle. A really good deal!!!

Managed to get the thing installed into the helmet after a bit of fiddling. Managed to get the Intercom working with another Sena (works well around the house!). Managed to hear the Sena's FM Radio :)

Next step is to pair to the bike and my Sony Xperia phone (and possible a NAV6 if I decide to buy one).

A bit fiddly with the sequences for pressing the +and - buttons. Won;t be easy with gloves on whilst riding. I hope the battery life is good!

Keen to hear how this thread unfolds...

It was definitely a good deal and worth getting. I then spent what seemed like hours trying to work out how to install the kit to the helmet. I still haven't managed to re fasten the popper clip which goes through the aerial holder.

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that rather than connecting both sat nav and mobile to the Sena I should connect sat nav to Sena and mobile to the sat nav or is it the other

Checkout sena vids for the 20s for the correct info on the 3 devices, it's be the same as with the 10U. I had a 10U for two years but just bought a 20s but can't help you with the music issue as I only have a 390 garmin that doesn't take music.

Battery life on the mobile will last far longer than the Senna

8hrs supposedly for the Senna - read 4hrs as you need the volume up to hear anything with plugs in ;)

I ran a long usb from the Senna inside my jacket down to the aux socket by the seat.

it got me from W.Sussex to Princetown & back , and the phone still had plenty of charge with spotify playing / some youtube and texts over the 2 days

I still haven't managed to re fasten the popper clip which goes through the aerial holder.
When you eventually fasten it, it'll probably still pop open again!!!

Thanks Santa and Cabby - useful thread wispyone has started... helping me too!

Fingers crossed I may get a few hours this weekend to go and test all the settings

10u will stream music or connect to another unit for voice comms for a good 10 hours. I’ve only had mine die on me once and that was a solid 12 hours of use, with a mix of music and phone calls.

Cheers jefformston, that's good to know. I hope to get loads of use out out of this in the coming years ��

10u will stream music or connect to another unit for voice comms for a good 10 hours. I’ve only had mine die on me once and that was a solid 12 hours of use, with a mix of music and phone calls.

10 hours ? My first one would do 8 max the replacement would be lucky if it did 5.

yes, only time it has died was on a blood bike 12 shift & had been switch on about 45 minutes before the shift started, lasted until very near the end of the shift. You don’t get long though was the low battery tones start.

Connect the phone to the Zumo 590, and the Zumo 590 to your Sena 10U. No need to connect the phone directly to your 10U. All music and phone control can then be done via the Zumo. I'm pretty sure that if you don't want sat nav voice instructions to interrupt your music you can just mute them in the settings.

Connect the phone to the Zumo 590, and the Zumo 590 to your Sena 10U. No need to connect the phone directly to your 10U. All music and phone control can then be done via the Zumo. I'm pretty sure that if you don't want sat nav voice instructions to interrupt your music you can just mute them in the settings.

Yes, this is the way I connect my iPhone, Sena SMH 5 and Nav V.
Phone to Nav V then Nav V to Sena as a phone. I turn voice directions off.

Cheers for the replies gents, I never managed to get out at the weekend to test it as my one day off consisted of what felt like a 16 hour shopping trip to the Trafford centre.
Oh well always next weekend :beerjug:

Well I managed to get out for a few hours today...in the rain . I connected as described above with Sena to satnav and satnav to mobile. I set a destination (with voice directions) and also played music from memory card through satnav. It worked very well - pausing music with a direction, and back to music.
I haven't received a phone call as yet but I'm not really fussed with that. Music and audio books etc was the main goal.

In relation to audio books does anyone know where/how to download them to a memory card? It seems easy to download them to a kindle account but not a stand alone memory card to put in the satnav

Cheers

Richard

Back
Top Bottom