Swing arm spray paint

ninjarich1971

Reaction score
Just a quick question, I am going to overspray the swing arm on a 2012 GS to cover some brake fluid related marks. I’ve ordered the matching spray but I’m reliably informed that it’s actually a paint that is fine to leave as just that or apply a clear lacquer to give that shiney look. I’m pretty sure it’s not got a lacquer from factory, it’s a satin finish paint not gloss. Any thoughts from the collective would be appreciated. Cheers

It's the very tough coating BMW use on other parts so will (a lot of) flatting if you are painting it over. If you want it stripped or even re-coated use a car wheels restorer.

It's the very tough coating BMW use on other parts so will (a lot of) flatting if you are painting it over. If you want it stripped or even re-coated use a car wheels restorer.

Cheers, do you think you can spray directly onto the coating and then lacquer it or is that just being a lazy bugger

It’s asphalt grey if you mean the swing arm. I think I’m going to try overspray and see whether it needs lacquer if it looks naff.

Cheers, do you think you can spray directly onto the coating and then lacquer it or is that just being a lazy bugger

I'm sure you could but it would need to be well flatted and primed to get the paint to stick. If the paint is bubbling the only reliable option is to strip and refinish it. Even then, there are issues. Any alloy corrosion left on the metal will restart the old problems but many powder coaters dont properly clean the old surface.

Powder is good but you would be advised to take it away after dipping and fully clean out all corroded areas. Then etch prime and have it coated over that. Powder coat compatible fillers (e.g. Lab Metal) are very costly so it it needs any filling, just have it painted.

I'm sure you could but it would need to be well flatted and primed to get the paint to stick. If the paint is bubbling the only reliable option is to strip and refinish it. Even then, there are issues. Any alloy corrosion left on the metal will restart the old problems but many powder coaters dont properly clean the old surface.

Powder is good but you would be advised to take it away after dipping and fully clean out all corroded areas. Then etch prime and have it coated over that. Powder coat compatible fillers (e.g. Lab Metal) are very costly so it it needs any filling, just have it painted.
To be honest it’s just where I fitted new rear brake pads and when I shoved the pistons in some brake fluid worked it’s way out the res and trickled down the swing arm. All it has done is discolouration of the trickle if you like. I was just wanting to clean the area and then overspray to mask what a twat I was for rushing and not doing the brakes properly

To be honest it’s just where I fitted new rear brake pads and when I shoved the pistons in some brake fluid worked it’s way out the res and trickled down the swing arm. All it has done is discolouration of the trickle if you like. I was just wanting to clean the area and then overspray to mask what a twat I was for rushing and not doing the brakes properly

Very annoying, but it happens. You can get the colour codes from BMW, but will struggle to get a touch up to look right. It's worth a try, but may not stick very well. But, when the swing arm bearings need renewing you can flat it all down and repaint the whole lot with a matching colour. Just dulling the OEM paint finish with wet-n-dry wont compromise it's protection abilities but will allow your new paint to stick.

Very annoying, but it happens. You can get the colour codes from BMW, but will struggle to get a touch up to look right. It's worth a try, but may not stick very well. But, when the swing arm bearings need renewing you can flat it all down and repaint the whole lot with a matching colour. Just dulling the OEM paint finish with wet-n-dry wont compromise it's protection abilities but will allow your new paint to stick.
Thank you for excellent, sound advice. All seems like common sense which is generally where I stray from the path, lol

Back
Top Bottom