Ex Police bikes - Insurance declaration

NeilH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting insurance quotes for a R1200RT which formally is a R1200RT-P model.

Insurance companies don't recognise a R1200RT-P therefore you say it is an R1200RT.

So what are you saying when it comes to modifications?

Generally modifications would be additions after bike manufacture, but in the case of an ex police bike, components have actually been removed.

The standard motorcycle would be a duel seat, now an ex Police is single seat.

I don't want to fall foul of misrepresentation.

What should I be declaring?
Who has had experience with quotezone? Good, bad....watchout for?
Other suggestions or advise?

Neil

A few years ago, when BMW we’re base at Bracknell, The police bikes started life as standard RT models. There was a dedicated team that converted them, at a rate of about three per week if I remember correctly.

Just insure it as an RT which is what it is. There aren't going to be any performance additions and I'm sure the insurance company will be highly delighted that you can't carry a pillion passenger.

Just declare with the sig modifications mentioned (single seat).

If it gets written off/stolen in the future - they may argue down the value slightly.

They actually keep asking me regarding carrying passengers so I guess its like Garaging, they give you a "generous discount" of a tenner or so. :D

Quotezone is only a comparison website like the Meerkats & GoCompare.

Once you have the prices and click through to the broker then Quotezone have no further involvement. They receive a commission just for introducing you to the broker (or actual insurer in some cases).

Quotezone is often rebranded e.g. they provide the Quidco & Topcashback schemes

If you have a claim then you deal direct with the broker or insurer, not Quotezone.

A few years ago, when BMW we’re base at Bracknell, The police bikes started life as standard RT models. There was a dedicated team that converted them, at a rate of about three per week if I remember correctly.

I don't know how far back you're thinking, but that's incorrect. Police bikes are built on the line as RT-P's, & have done so since the 1100's. The local importer then get some small mods fitted locally - which nowadays is pretty much just livery & comms., fitted at Vehicle Developments in Andover, Hants. They've been doing that since the R80's.
At the time of the R80's, & the K-series, there was a little more fitment; panniers, auxiliary rear lighting, rear police/stop signs & comms.
As to the OP, it's an R1200RT, so just insure it as one.

I don't know how far back you're thinking, but that's incorrect. Police bikes are built on the line as RT-P's, & have done so since the 1100's. The local importer then get some small mods fitted locally - which nowadays is pretty much just livery & comms., fitted at Vehicle Developments in Andover, Hants. They've been doing that since the R80's.
At the time of the R80's, & the K-series, there was a little more fitment; panniers, auxiliary rear lighting, rear police/stop signs & comms.

They also fitted out the police Norton Rotary's. I had two of those, one was first model with the single cylinder idle that chimed onto two cylinders by the use of a solenoid, made for very smooth riding, NOT.

They also fitted out the police Norton Rotary's. I had two of those, one was first model with the single cylinder idle that chimed onto two cylinders by the use of a solenoid, made for very smooth riding, NOT.

Indeed; the firm originally turned Commando's into Interpols. When Norton's folded Neale Shilton, their police sales chap, formerly of Triumph, had been employed by BMW to drum up sales. He got the Andover company to do his "kitting-out" & it carried on from there.

Late 90’s I suppose. That was for the met police. I should have put quite a few years ago

Bill. What I think may have confused at that at both Chiswick, & later at Bracknell, there was a small team responsible for Authorities sales, & tech support.
In those days BMW didn't sell many police cars, & even fewer to other emergency services, so it was primarily police motorcycles.
At Chiswick I remember Gordon Maggs, ex-Met Commander, all of 6'-6" & a gent, who later moved to Bracknell, & his tech. man Les Walker, who really did know his stuff, plus a few more over the years.

Bill. What I think may have confused at that at both Chiswick, & later at Bracknell, there was a small team responsible for Authorities sales, & tech support.
In those days BMW didn't sell many police cars, & even fewer to other emergency services, so it was primarily police motorcycles.
At Chiswick I remember Gordon Maggs, ex-Met Commander, all of 6'-6" & a gent, who later moved to Bracknell, & his tech. man Les Walker, who really did know his stuff, plus a few more over the years.

I thought I was dreaming about there being a small team at Bracknell, but that makes sense. To be honest, I can't remember what was involved, but Alan Collis, the civvy in charge of the vehicle procurement was chatting about it.

Call Peter James they insured my RT1200-P no problem, and discount for not carrying a passenger. i had to email them a ebay link showing similar bike.

Update

Well I've made my purchase, a silver R1200RT-P low mileage (37,000).....perhaps not the best condition, which got delivered on Saturday.

It has duel battery system, front mirrors have been cut to probably allow the blue strobe lights, not to much corrosion, batteries flat.

The seat and spacers need recovering, so I'll take them with me (I'll be away for 6 months) and get them recovered in the same material as my R1150GS.

First hurdle getting the tax class changed from Police - done - paid.
Insurance with Hasting Direct done....just waiting for confirmation.

Sadly for the first 6 months the bike is not going anywhere until I'm back in the summer, but I should get a few days ride in before I leave.

My life is in for a big change (read my intro http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/495370-Another-new-member) hopefully in the next 6 months, giving me time to maintain and clean up this bike.

Neil

Back
Top Bottom