Irish Ferries bookings

Wonkey donkey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Do any of our Irish fellas, or ladies, know when Irish Ferries open up booking for June? Only goes to April at the moment and planning to come over and sample the delights of the Emerald Isle for a week on the bike.

Guinness and Whiskey, what could go wrong :D

Cheers guys. I was thinking of sailing to Belfast then coming back, after an anti clockwise tour, via Dublin however now favouring the 'fast' crossing option to and from Dublin now. Just got to sort a route and most importantly finding the right accommodation. :beerjug::beer:

Cheers guys. I was thinking of sailing to Belfast then coming back, after an anti clockwise tour, via Dublin however now favouring the 'fast' crossing option to and from Dublin now. Just got to sort a route and most importantly finding the right accommodation. :beerjug::beer:

Let us know where you plan/hope to go. Then we can point you towards some nice roads/things to see and most important, where the nice Guinness is! ;)

Let us know where you plan/hope to go. Then we can point you towards some nice roads/things to see and most important, where the nice Guinness is! ;)

Righto my Lovlies the ferry is booked, 9-15th June 2019 to Dublin. After some help with route and places to stay. Will dock at Dublin and intend to motorway it to Belfast for the 1st night and get there around 2pm so we can take in some of the city and have a few beers at night. Day 2 we want to see the Giants Causeway, maybe drop in to Bushmills distillery then start heading south along the Wild Atlantic way and it's this bit I really need help with. The night of the 14th we will be in or near Dublin so we only have 4 nights spare. I wondered if we should hit A roads towards the end of day 2 so as to get to the 'better' part of the WAW and miss out the parts around Donegal and pick it up around Kerry maybe? Sorry if anyone from Donegal is offended and if I am wrong please feel free to flame me. :D

Any advice is very welcome thanks

IMHO I'd start in Donegal & enjoy what's in front of me without being psychologically tugged across the horizon to other spots. Donegal is 2 days. Donegal town to Ballina is best done on main road. Mayo is a day, Connemara is a day. Abandon the coast around Rossaveal & take the road to Oughterard. Skirt East of Galway on motorway & you may have time for the Burren - but you are now running out of time. Cork & Kerry are good (I live in the latter) but save them for another trip is my advice. You are as free to ignore my advice as I frequently do. :aidan

Mayo for a day, big fan of Achill Island myself !!! Then I’d shoot south to Kerry on the main roads, you’ll be there in less than 4 hours, that’s where I find the scenary to be amazing and breathtaking. Dingle and the beara peninsula are top class

Attachments

• DF079812-4597-4280-B5F9-D833A97492CE.jpg
    DF079812-4597-4280-B5F9-D833A97492CE.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 379
IMHO I'd start in Donegal & enjoy what's in front of me without being psychologically tugged across the horizon to other spots. Donegal is 2 days. Donegal town to Ballina is best done on main road. Mayo is a day, Connemara is a day. Abandon the coast around Rossaveal & take the road to Oughterard. Skirt East of Galway on motorway & you may have time for the Burren - but you are now running out of time. Cork & Kerry are good (I live in the latter) but save them for another trip is my advice. You are as free to ignore my advice as I frequently do. :aidan

Your last sentence makes me look forward to coming over to meet more like you :beerjug:

Mayo for a day, big fan of Achill Island myself !!! Then I’d shoot south to Kerry on the main roads, you’ll be there in less than 4 hours, that’s where I find the scenary to be amazing and breathtaking. Dingle and the beara peninsula are top class

Cheers Anthony :D

With four nights to work with, I would opt to leave out the south of the country and stick to the north and west of the island. Otherwise you'll just end up having to ride through everywhere without really being able to see, stop and enjoy the places you visit. Better to see lots of the little you visit than little of the lots you ride right through.

Even when opting for A roads, the average speed you'll achieve can be slower than expected. This will be even more evident when you pull over to check out things of interest along your route.

I would advise going as far south as Galway or maybe Limerick. Both places offer a pretty quick return route to Dublin once you've covered as much of the WAW as you can fit in.

I've not ridden around Donegal so can't honestly say if it's worth including, but once you start heading south I would recommend the waterfall at Glencar, the N16 out from Sligo town is a lovely bit of road with great scenery too.

Strandhill is a nice spot to grab a coffee and an ice cream beside the beach - especially if the weather's nice (sometimes it does happen!).

I would second a visit to Achill island - one of my favourite spots along the west coast. Make sure to ride all the way out to Keem beach - you won't be disappointed. If time permits, ride up to the summit of Minnaun, on a clear day the view is spectacular. You'll probably use up a whole day doing Achill, but it'll be a day well spent.

From Westport head for Leenane on either the R335 or the N59 - neither will disappoint but the latter is a more direct route. Continue onto Maam cross and Oughterard, tis a lovely bit of road. At this stage you're only a stones throw from Galway. If you opt to overnight here, I would suggest staying in the Salthill area. Tis a bit quieter than the centre of Galway, and it's a handy spin into the city centre in a taxi if you opt to head in.

If time is on your side, head south from Galway on the N67 towards Kinvarra and Ballyvaughan. A little after Kinvarra detour onto the L1014 to take in the Hazel Mountain Chocolate shop and cafe. Nice spot to stop off and really indulge! A little further on, turn right towards Bealaclugga to get back onto the N67. Just after Ballyvaughan take the R480 up to see the Aillwee caves and the Poulnabrone Dolmen. Yer not far from Fr. Ted's house, and the small back roads are a nice gentle spin with some crackin' views of the Burren along the way.

An overnight some where in Co. Clare like Doolin or Lahinch should find you nicely set up in a local pub with some decent trad music being played. Also, gives you a chance to visit the Cliffs of Moher if you haven't been before.

Fastest way back to Dublin is via the M7 from Limerick, not the most interesting ride, but it gives you more time to spend along the picturesque west coast.

There are many options of places to see, roads to ride etc. - way more than a four night trip can cover. But the above route catches a couple of nice spots along the way, with plenty of things to stop at and take a look. Hopefully a few others will have more to add which gives you plenty of fuel for thought. :thumb2

Let us know it you want more info - places to stay etc. I can rattle on about this stuff till even my mates have left the room in desperation!! :p

Awesome info Hatcho thankyou. Having done Scotland several times in the last few years we are really looking forward to visiting the Emerald Isle.

My last visit was playing golf at the K Club and Druids Glen about 10 years ago and previous to that when I was 18 ish fishing the River Barrow at Athlone.

I work at Athlone, not the river Barrow Wonkey Donkey. River Shannon ring a bell Scotland is awesome biking country I will agree

I work at Athlone, not the river Barrow Wonkey Donkey. River Shannon ring a bell Scotland is awesome biking country I will agree

Apologies it was Athy :blast

Did also fish the Shannon at Athlone. Had a great time at all the places we stayed hence why I am looking forward to returning.

Athy gives me a slightly off topic cue. Larry Gogan's just a minute quiz generated much mirthful unintentional answers - an example being can you name the capital of France? The listener responded "F".
On another day Larry asked, "can you name an Irish town that sounds like a body part"? "Kilcock" replied the listener confidently, Larry without hesitation responded "I have Athy written here but will accept that answer"
Happy 2019. :beerjug::aidan

Back
Top Bottom