F750GS - Adjusting the gear shift lever position

RichardD

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
One of my first observations about my new F750GS is that I find the gear shift lever is set a bit too low. I have BMW Gravel boots which are quite thick and that may be the cause. It's also early days and I may get used to the position, but it would be nice to know how to adjust it.

In the good old days, I could simply adjust a gear lever by moving it on the splines, but this one looks a bit more complex - due to the gear shift assist gizmo, I guess.

Can anyone offer advice as to how I may go about moving the shift lever up a few mm?

Thanks in advance.

If the two threaded ends are opposing i.e. one left threaded and one right you should be able to undo the two locking nuts visible in the image, unplug the sensor and then turn the centre unit to get the right length then re-tighten the nuts. If they are both the same thread then your going to have to remove the gear shift, guess adjust the length by unlocking the two nuts and turning the ends then refit to see if its correct adinfinitum till your happy .

69f2ca1d1e61c3855168fd44065cfcf0.png

Looks like you can still do it the old fashioned way by moving it on the splines, without disturbing the plugs or sensors.

Looks like you can still do it the old fashioned way by moving it on the splines, without disturbing the plugs or sensors.

Thanks SS - I had the same issue with the F750GS after lowering the pegs and thought I might need to adjust the GAP; but you are right, the splined shaft at the top is the adjustment (just done it 1 minute job) - do not touch the GAP settings!!

Thanks All. I will see how I get on with it over the next few rides, but at least I can now see how to adjust it if necessary.

A whole spline might be quite a big move. But assuming the length adjusters on the gear shift thingy are the same as on a normal linkage, you should be able to lengthen it. If there isn't enough play left, then shortening it and moving the whole thing anticlockwise on the splines.

(I've never understood the need for gear shift assist. Is it solving a problem that doesn't really exist on a road bike?)

(I've never understood the need for gear shift assist. Is it solving a problem that doesn't really exist on a road bike?)

I have to admit it's not something I would have specified, but it was included in the standard "sport" specification, so I got it anyway...

Is the lever meant to be adjusted or is there an oem part? My lever is scraping with the engine cover

I have a F750GS with quickshifter as a loan bike while mine (F700GS) is being serviced and having head bearing replaced. I am more impressed than I thought I'd be - there seems to be a lot more oomph. The handling feels good too, though stepping onto a new bike with very new tyres it from a bike with notched head bearings and half worn tyres is always a recipe tio be impressed!

Quickshifter - the only time I really appreciated it was full throttle up-changes when it was smooth and very quick. The rest of the time it felt clunky and I found myself changing gear the usual way. As said above, I wouldn't request it but neither would I refuse a bike if it was part of the spec.

I was also given a quote of £160 to replace the gear indicator potentiometer. It has played up a bit over the past couple of years, usually after washing the bike, but now it has stopped showing 1st and neutral, bt is fine from 2nd to 6th. It's the neutral bit that's annoying ad it means you can't start or run it on the sidestand. As I'm already paying £500 for a service, head bearings, and fork oil, I've told them to leave the gear indicator. The bike is a commuting tool and £160 is a month's fuel, or a new pair of tyres.

Back
Top Bottom