Buying a K1600 GTLE, WHY?

As others have said, my advice is to proceed with caution, if you are thinking of joining the K16 set. These are big old buses, heavy bikes & ownership can get expensive - just try trading one.

OK, I'm a bit biased, as my 2012 K16GT SE was an absolute lemon. Everything that could go wrong did - I won't bore you with the detail, suffice it to say, after 3 months in the shop waiting for parts, it had to go. Anyway, have a good browse through the forum ....... www.k1600forum.com .... if you haven't done so already Later builds, say post 2015, appear far better &, of course, the almost inperceptable facelift in 2017 brought a few more bells & whistles.

Yes, that big 6 is creamy smooth & seductive, but I'm with JJH here - an FJR won't be far behind, is super reliable, very reasonable to run &, that bit smaller/lighter - maybe a bit 'anonymous' though, if that matters. Then there are the likes of the H2SX, which takes the idea of a sports tourer on a step........or two.

Personally, I tend to think the days of the big tourer are almost over. Riders are looking for more versatility, hence the rise & rise of the adventure sector, just as we have seen in the car market with SUVs. Hardly surprising then to find that we still have the big GS dominating sales charts in the UK, just a shame the new baby brother isn't more impressive.

BTW, Just my 2p worth. Have fun deciding.

He's right with that summary........... a K16 wouldn't float my boat

I came close to buying one a few times and did several test rides.
It’s not as physically big as it first appears but it is quite long. That makes it stable but you need to take care at first.
Above 15mph I didn’t notice the weight, but stationary on a slope or camber you need a bit of care and planning (and you can see why this was the first model to get Hill Start Control!)
Be careful as it’s so smooth and with plenty of grunt, and the plushest ride quality on any BMW I’ve tried. You will at first find you’re going well over the speed limit!
Luggage and central locking works well
Screen - I couldn’t find any comfortable height for the screen, either buffeting or vortex of cold air on back of neck. I tried and tried but never feel quite right.
Seat - very comfy and good for several hours
Don’t bother with the first edition models up to (I think) 2015/2016, each one I tried had the egg beater gnarly transmission and slightly odd feel in gearbox at 30mph and if not very well looked-after, corrosion on engine block and/or rear shock, where it’s hard to reach to clean.
6 into 2 exhaust sounds great when giving it some!

Would I buy one? No. My R1200RS is 100Kg lighter and does 95% the same job.

Do I use one for commuting? No, I walk to work or ride my awesome Brompton.

Can / do I ride it through heavy traffic? Yes.

Is it OK at it? Yes

Do I use one for commuting? No, I walk to work or ride my awesome Brompton.

Can / do I ride it through heavy traffic? Yes.

Is it OK at it? Yes

Agreed, though if you are a stout guardian of our shorelines they can be more problematic at low speed :p

This link gives the sobering truth on UK K1600 registrations since 2011 .......... https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=BMW+K1600&commit=Search

Broadly 50% of the UK fleet, on the road, were sold in the first 2 years.

Then check out the GS figures ............ https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=BMW+R1200GS

To be fair though the later figures for 2018 are now spread out over 9 models, and the early figures will be new demo bikes as there were none to start with. This was never going to be a volume bike in the UK, it's the extreme of what BMW do, and just too much for most peoples needs, but if you like big, comfortable, stable bikes that soak up the miles and can still bring a smile to your face on the weekends they are worth trying out.

I think the early bikes suffered from being a new untested model and had a few issues from 2011/12, these were largely sorted by 2014MY bikes and then they added a few extras as time went on, but from 2014 on they have been pretty solid and with very few changes other than the addition of reverse and quick shift from 2017 I think it was?

Definitely try it, if you love it great, if it's not for you then at least you gave it a go and can look at others like the aforementioned FJ or perhaps the GTR1400?

James

Cheers lads for all the input and roll on the extended test ride, will post the outcome of ride.

"Definitely try it, if you love it great, if it's not for you then at least you gave it a go and can look at others like the aforementioned FJ or perhaps the GTR1400?"

Cheers James, about sums it up :thumb2

Update on the 1600. Absolutely love this bike BUT I have to be honest with myself and realise that:-

1. its not the right bike for the roads I like to ride, it would be capable but risky and it would become a choir + at sometime I would drop it which would amount to an eye watering bill.

2. It was a little hard work getting it into where I would park it and when I came to turn it round, I placed it on the bike dolly and it squashed it :eek: leaving me with a 300 point turn and seeing as it weighs over 700 pounds, I was bloody knackered :sleep.

3. I got some insurance quotes and the best I could get was 400 odd quid with a £1500 excess or 700 odd quid with a £650 excess.

So although I absolutely love the bike, I'll have to leave it for now until my riding style/roads change....shame as I really really love the bloody thing.

Regularly ride FJR’s and they aren’t a patch on a Twin Cam GSA so hopefully not similar to a GT/GTL or they will be off my list for my next bike. Had been considering both the GT & RT, but suspect they might be a little cramped for my 6’4’’ frame & it will be another GSA for me.

I placed it on the bike dolly and it squashed it :eek:

LOL Love it!

You have done what you needed to do, if it's not right it's not right, keep looking, just remember big bikes are big! The reverse gear makes things a whole lot easier, and the B version is a lot easier in car parks also and at low speed, so perhaps worth a go if they were the only things to put you off.

James

This link gives the sobering truth on UK K1600 registrations since 2011 .......... https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=BMW+K1600&commit=Search

Broadly 50% of the UK fleet, on the road, were sold in the first 2 years.

Then check out the GS figures ............ https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=BMW+R1200GS

I wouldn’t put too much stock in those figures , as Jesim said it’s split across more models now plus it’s completely unfair to compare the figures with that of the GS as it’s not apples with apples . Compare it with something like a Goldwing instead or the big ZZR14.

LOL Love it!

You have done what you needed to do, if it's not right it's not right, keep looking, just remember big bikes are big! The reverse gear makes things a whole lot easier, and the B version is a lot easier in car parks also and at low speed, so perhaps worth a go if they were the only things to put you off.

James
Cheers James and of coarse your right , it is a "BIG" bike but I love the bloody thing and the comfort and speed is sublime, unfortunately when you take all into consideration it's an 'A' Road bike, if it was just putting up with the slow manoeuvring in tight spaces, I would put up with it and in time would hopefully master, BUT unfortunately it's not....it's the roads I like to travel it's just not made for them, and 'yes' you can take it down a single track road with grass in the middle but you would be bricking it, and I would not! I repeat 'WOULD NOT' take one thro a ford :eek:
It's more than capable of traveling tight 'B' Roads but it wouldn't be enjoyable, too much hard work and it wouldn't be long before it was left at home or the inevitable happened and I dropped it.

I would just like to think everyone for their input, it was much appreciated and you never know in a year or two, if my riding changes....It will definitely be the bike for me !!

Jack

YEP! that first clip shows you just what will happen if you touch the front bake at slow speed and the bike steering is not straight, we've all done it BUT with a 700 pound bike....IT'S GOING DOWN!! The guy/woman in the second clip as far more skill on that bike than me, although it looks like a suicide mission.

AND still I would love one :blast:drool

Cheers James and of coarse your right , it is a "BIG" bike but I love the bloody thing and the comfort and speed is sublime, unfortunately when you take all into consideration it's an 'A' Road bike, if it was just putting up with the slow manoeuvring in tight spaces, I would put up with it and in time would hopefully master, BUT unfortunately it's not....it's the roads I like to travel it's just not made for them, and 'yes' you can take it down a single track road with grass in the middle but you would be bricking it, and I would not! I repeat 'WOULD NOT' take one thro a ford :eek:
It's more than capable of traveling tight 'B' Roads but it wouldn't be enjoyable, too much hard work and it wouldn't be long before it was left at home or the inevitable happened and I dropped it.

I would just like to think everyone for their input, it was much appreciated and you never know in a year or two, if my riding changes....It will definitely be the bike for me !!

Jack

I think that's a fair summary.

I love mine on A roads and it's surprisingly good on B roads, but as soon as there's grass in the middle or lots of mud and crap on country lanes, you become very aware of the weight and if it starts to slip and slide it's just luck whether you get it back or not.

Car decks on ferries and steep ramps into underground car parks raise the pulse a bit as well...

I dropped mine once in a car park (my fault for poor decision making when I was hot and tired) and the damage was surprisingly little light scratches to pannier and fairing, bent auxiliary light mounting (bent back into shape easy enough). Crash bars would have prevented that.

For comfortable two up fast touring, though, on anything from motorways to twist roads, it's unbeatable.

Back
Top Bottom