Brittany ferries

I used BF for the first time this year .
Took the Cap Finistere to Santander and it was fabulous. Ok, I was with girlie and we had a deluxe cabin but it was a much nicer vessel than when I took the Pont Aven a few months later .

The latter was far too hectic with too many bikes and I didn’t like the layout of the ship as much as the Finistere .

I’m going to ride both ways next year in preference to the Pont Aven , though would take the Finistere if it were an option .

Took the Cap Finistere to Santander and it was fabulous. Ok, I was with girlie and we had a deluxe cabin but it was a much nicer vessel than when I took the Pont Aven a few months later

Good to know, I am on the CF this year and had assumed it was not as good as the PA as Brittany tend to describe the latter as the head of the fleet, used the PA about 10 years ago and found it OK so glad to know the CF is even better.

I used BF for the first time this year .
Took the Cap Finistere to Santander and it was fabulous......................

I’m going to ride both ways next year in preference to the Pont Aven , though would take the Finistere if it were an option .

Yeah, I'd agree with that completely. The Pont Aven is too big and too much like being on a cruise.........

We crossed on the Baie de Seine back in June, Brittany Ferries 'budget' ferry and I have to say it's my favourite of the three boats by a long shot. The standard cabins are bigger and way nicer than either of the other two boats but the best thing was because it's quite a small boat it never felt crowded (quite the opposite, I sometimes wondered where all the other passengers had got to) and just felt more relaxed and congenial.

Crossing times permitting it would now be my first choice to cross on.

Andres

Good to know, I am on the CF this year and had assumed it was not as good as the PA as Brittany tend to describe the latter as the head of the fleet, used the PA about 10 years ago and found it OK so glad to know the CF is even better.

The CF doesn't have a buffet restaurant, unlike the PA. It just has a large waiter-service restaurant split in two so both sides get a view.
It gets busy so book a table as soon as you board.
I was amazed at the service .Because we booked a two berth deluxe cabin, within 5 minutes of occupying the cabin, there was a knock on the door and a purser was there to ask what time and where we wanted dinner.
The CF also had much nicer bars and more choice,such as the lovely Belle View Bar at the stern where you can watch the departure whilst standing at the open air bar with a beer.

Conflicting reports I’m getting. I had read the CF was quite shabby and tired, but maybe has recently had a refit? We used the PA to Roscoff September and then from Santander late October. Perhaps because of the time of year and fewer travellers it was rather spacious. Admittedly inside cabins are small but all part of the fun.

Been on both a few times, Always tried to get on The Pont Aven ,Nice buffet evening meal, But found the CF recently was nice and staff a bit friendlier, both choices ok, both got beer:beerjug:

Dave:thumby:

Conflicting reports I’m getting. I had read the CF was quite shabby and tired, but maybe has recently had a refit? We used the PA to Roscoff September and then from Santander late October. Perhaps because of the time of year and fewer travellers it was rather spacious. Admittedly inside cabins are small but all part of the fun.

That was certainly our experience, but it was abount 6 years back. We had eaten before boarding the CF, so didn't want a sit down restaurant dinner, which left options a tad limited. Maybe she's had a refit/refresh.

IIRC the Pont Aven is due in Dry-Dock right now.

Successfully booked our 'cruise' crossing this morning, Portsmouth - Santander route :D

Depart on Friday 19th July @ 17.00, and return on Saturday 27th July 20.30 :D

Cantabrians here we come :clap

I'm booked on Fri 7th June 19 if anyone fancys a pint on the boat!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Also just booked for mid June from Portsmouth to Bilbao, initially wanted the Santander route on 14th or 15th but ended up getting a sailing on Sunday 16th...there's not many spaces left and these are going quick !
I'm planning to play around the Pyrenees TET for a few days before heading up to Ijmuiden using the TET as much as possible...that's the plan anyway :rolleyes:

Now I just need to find bike storage near Portsmouth for a week or two so I can get the bike couriered down and then fly down later to collect and start the trip :D

sailing 16th June.. Plymouth - Santander off to Portugal and Picos for 10 Days..Cant wait :beer:

I found the outside two-berth cabin on the PA very cramped and the fold down upper bunk blocked the porthole, which kind of defeated the object of an outside cabin for the missus (she takes the upper bunk due to my week bladder :p). I’ve booked a four-berth cabin this year so we’ll have more space :thumb2

I preferred the CF, but then I did book a Commodore class posh cabin on the way home from Bilbao in 2013.

Back
Top Bottom