Brittany ferries

If you are thinking of using Spanish ferries next year,pull ya finger out and get it booked,
:thumby:
We wanted 4 bikes 4 bods two cabins in September, had to extend by 3 days:blast:augie

same for June as posted in another thread - ferry frequency seems to be reduced. I'm wondering if they are being sneaky and holding sailings back to make sure the main fleet is booked up. Come the new year when rates go up they will stick up some more dates, maybe.

Maybe its because no one wants to travel through France with all the new speed limits and extra costs its fecking expensive in France i found earlier this year

It was very nearly as cheap to go by ferry to Northern Spain as the traipse thru France 5 years ago, now it must be cheaper when taking into account fuel costs/tolls/wear and tear blah blah. Always enjoy the crossing but not had a rough one...yet

Yeah i managed to book for 1st week of June. We are travelling with 8 others who couldn't get on, ferry full for bikes phoned them to see if they could shift a couple of car spaces off to give room for more bikes but they couldn't/wouldn't.

I am going to have to cancel as we now have to look at alternatives i'm looking at losing £70 deposit.

We are now looking at train from Paris.

One of the ferries takes 60 bikes the other 200 bikes.

Obviously, the ferry that takes 60 bikes, that also happens to sail on a Friday, gets full up pretty quick.

Thanks for heads up Mike, got my act together and booked mine :)

One of the ferries takes 60 bikes the other 200 bikes.

Obviously, the ferry that takes 60 bikes, that also happens to sail on a Friday, gets full up pretty quick.

Sailing Friday 31st May Full
Sailing Sat 1st June Full

Gutted

We tried to change dates unfortunately first week of June was the only week that suited majority of our group so Plan B

I recently booked for Plymouth - Santander and the 5th June sailing was already full, the next sailing to Spain on the bigger ship (with 200 bike spaces) was already up to 180 bikes.

Apparently June is extremely popular with bikey folk for some reason, and oddly they cannot just stick 3 bikes where a car normally goes - which seems like they are missing a trick (and a load of cash)

Apparently June is extremely popular with bikey folk for some reason, and oddly they cannot just stick 3 bikes where a car normally goes - which seems like they are missing a trick (and a load of cash)

Bikes, unlike cars, are a pain in the arse to ferries. They have two wheels, not four, so they fall over. A car can have up to four or more passengers (all wanting to spend money) a bike, a maximum of two. Plus bikers whinge a lot.

Bikes, unlike cars, are a pain in the arse to ferries. They have two wheels, not four, so they fall over. A car can have up to four or more passengers (all wanting to spend money) a bike, a maximum of two. Plus bikers whinge a lot.

Two wheels - you say? :blast

Fuck me! You’re on fire tonight!

But most of the car / van people are even more geriatric than bikers so don’t spend anything in the bar.
Brittany Ferries are really well organised for bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The rallies below attract a lot of interest from UK bikers.
Anything around these rally dates will mean a lot more competition for ferry bookings.

The MotoPiston rally in Santander - http://www.mcpiston.com/ukpistonrally.html is towards the end of September.
They also run another event early June.

The Colombres rally http://www.motoclubindianos.com/index.php/en/ is late September / early October.

I have been to the Colombres rally a couple of times, bikes need to be pre 84, well organised and in the weeks we there covered around 1000 miles (not bad on a 1957 R50)
If you join the rally you get 20% off the ferry costs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had a very, very rough crossing, from Santander to Plymouth! Several bikes damaged, by that, bikes lying on their side with lots of damage to them.

One Spanish GSA had the brake master cylinder ripped off. Make sure you take straps with you, or insist on getting extra straps from crewmen. Campervans were damaged, it was really rough at sea! I've done this crossing 5 times in total, one rough and that trip from hell one!

Could you hire a big van, chuck 4 bikes in the van and then book the van on the ferry?

Might work out no more expensive than 4 individual bikes.

Gotta be careful with van-hire - a lot (if not - most), don’t allow taking abroad. I would guess that will be even more widespread if we leave the EU.

Back
Top Bottom