Plastic chain guide thingy

sye

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the plastic chain guide thing from just in front of the sprocket? Does it do a job or is it just a bit of faux off-road rubbish? Seems to me that if the chain was to come off the sprocket it would cut through the plastic anyway.

I want to remove it to fit a dual injector chain oiler and it's in the way.

I haven't looked at the wear on mine but in general, they are not related to off-road use but to normal chain movement. Don't remove it unless you want extra holes in your bike. In use (especially on singles), a chain flaps about a great deal and these things stop that flappy chain from doing more damage than necessary.

Thanks Chris, will leave it where it is in that case and figure out a work around.

Isn't it also supposed to stop your foot or hand getting mangled between the chain and sprocket, should you bin it and insert a limb into that area of the bike?

Does it do a job or is it just a bit of faux off-road rubbish?

Just the opposite, they're often removed to prevent that area clogging with mud.....but don't get sticking your inquisitive fingers in there!

Generally there should also be some form of case saver fitted forward of the sprocket.

In that case an outer lower guard in stainless or aluminium would suffice?

In that case an outer lower guard in stainless or aluminium would suffice?

Like this?
71607705982_bmw_g650x_alumsprocketcover.jpg

Aha, it would seem that we are at odds a little. I'm talking about the one on the lower chain run, just forward of the rear sprocket.

Aha, it would seem that we are at odds a little. I'm talking about the one on the lower chain run, just forward of the rear sprocket.

In that case remove it or shorten it.
One advantage to the forward part of that chain guide is preventing crap from the tyre flinging onto the chain.......besides.....you want the nozzle of your oiler to lube the inside run of the chain so mount it on the swing arm.

There are a few reasons it’s fitted,
Firstly to stop you getting your foot,hand etc anywhere near the sprocket should you fall off with the engine still running and in gear,which may seem unlikely but,shit happens.
Secondly,it helps stop stones,branches getting dragged in .
And lastly,mainly because the chain runs with a fair bit more slack , it controls sideways movement,so it can’t jump off if the chain is a bit worn or just “loose”
If you’re fitting an oiler you may well be able to drill though the plastic and get the oil feed just where you want it,, bonus:thumb

I had a Scotty on my other Xcountry. It was mounted so a single feed tube was JUST touching the sprocket at about 5 o'clock, a bit past but not as far down as 6 o'clock. It worked perfectly and kept the chain oiled throughout for over 30,000 miles. I have a Scottoiler to fit to this Xcountry, I just haven't got round to doing it yet. Now winter is coming and work has dropped off a cliff, I will find a day to get it done. It makes a huge difference, I have discovered already. Chain adjustments are quite frequent without it, but quite infrequent with one.

I find the Scottoiler so effective, i am wondering about fitting one to my R80GS as well. :aidan

Fit the Touratech (read KTM) piece that stops the chain coming off the sprocket when the chain is worn, or in otherwise extreme conditions ...

i-MbWwGHt-L.jpg

Then fit the chain lube around that, to suit :thumb

For myself I just use a good chain spray :D

:beerjug:

I've now removed the plastic guide and discover that it's single sided and isn't a guide as such but a guard. The Touratech offering shown by Micky and John are guides and will stop the chain derailing if it's slack. I've given it a severe looking at over several cups of tea and offered up the dual injector, which fits perfectly inside the forward mount.

I've some 3mm aluminium sheet in the garage and plan on making up something like in the picture, then mount the dual injector up inboard. The plate should act as a protector and the Scottoiler can get on with doing its job.

I will never be taking this bike off-road (intentionally anyway). It will be a road bike and the risk of derailment is no more than any other road bike. That's my logic anyway, what do you think? :nenau

Attachments

• img305.jpg
    img305.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 102
Mike, you're a bloody star, that solves my problem. It can be mounted on the swing arm without interfering with the guide.:thumb2

Mike, you're a bloody star, that solves my problem. It can be mounted on the swing arm without interfering with the guide.:thumb2

Thanks Sye - I'll remind you said that next time I see you. :D

Back
Top Bottom