Talk me into / out of a Pan

Ha ha… I've been eyeing those as well as the ex DSA bikes... Always serviced and the DSA'ers will have had an easy life... And Jeez you will be seen in that ambulance yellowish...:) + deffo no chat with the middle aged Steve Mcqueen brigade at the services on the way back to their car while you eye up another 200+ miles...:):)

I've got a mate with one. Like you say. You can't miss that fluro yellow :eek:

I racked up over 100k on mine and loved it, but it got too heavy for me (old age).
Took it up to Mo i Rana and over to Venice as well as lots in between.
It'll keep up with most bikes on the twisties.
You need to keep the tyre pressure at 42psi front and rear and use tyres designed for heavy yokes like the PR4GT.
It got very hot one day in Italy which messed up the speedo and the sensor was a bitch to get at.
Otherwise no issues...

I own two Pans, a 2001 ST 1100 ABS that I bought new, and a 2012 ST 1300 ABS that I bought 6 years ago.

I'm happy with both, although as I get older (I'm 64), I notice the weight a bit more when I am paddling it around in parking lots.

They are both bulletproof - they run forever, very reliably, with only minimal regular maintenance. There is an active owner forum (ST-Owners.com) with an extensive knowledge base if you have maintenance questions. Many owners have had their Pans for 15 or 20 years or longer, and are more than willing to help out new owners.

Some parts are getting hard to find for the 1100s now, but because there are so many 1100s out there, the aftermarket is stepping up to the plate with parts such as shocks that are no longer available from Honda.

Of the two, I kind of prefer the 1100, but perhaps that's because I have had it longer and it fits like an old sneaker.

If you are buying a UK ST 1100, inspect the swingarm at the rear for corrosion very, very carefully. That is a "make it or break it" deal on a used bike. Next in importance for the 1100 is age (moreso than mileage) of the timing belt. For both bikes, condition of the gears in the differential is also critical - if the correct lubricant has not been used during the life of the bike, the differential can wear out, and this is an expensive repair.

Were it not for the weight, I would happily buy another one if I needed to. But, like any motorcycle, once it is moving, you don't notice the weight at all.

Michael

Another Pan Project

I picked up an elderly Pan ST1100 in Spring 2018, it had been stood for several years after an old friend of John (aka The Borderer) gave up riding..

An AT model with ABS and linked brakes, registered in April 1996 - it has only had three previous owners, the chap in the Borders for 8 years, before him for 12 years, and originally Honda UK

It was one of the Honda press fleet for the launch of the revised ST1100 in early 1996, and was then sold on by Abingdon.

I was interested to read the comments in this thread about Abingdon - I did google the name, but they must have changed the name many years ago.

20180404-134812.jpg

Reg.jpg

Tank-1.jpg

Tank-2.jpg

Frame-1.jpg

Frame-2.jpg

Frame-3.jpg

Swing-1.jpg

Swing-2.jpg

Swing-3.jpg

Swing-4.jpg

Swing-5.jpg

Swing-6.jpg

L-Stanchion.jpg

R-Stanchion.jpg

Stanchion-Kit.jpg

F-Hose.jpg

The swing-arm was rough, but was salvaged with a little welding, etch primer, two-pack and lashings of waxoyl.
The tank was a mess, but the steel came up surprisingly well and is treated with epoxy inside and out.

Fork stanchions were rechromed, and rebuilt with new bushes, seals and 7.5w fluid - I will see how it rides before blowing ££ on upgrades.

The biggest issue is the brake hoses - the dual-linked system includes 17 flexi-hoses with complex master/slave unions.
I did talk to HEL, even with discount their full ABS LBS braided steel hose kit is close to £400.

I have made my own lines for many years with Venhill parts, but it's the forged unions that present the issue

Generally, it has scrubbed up well, but I'm struggling with the cherry paint finish.

Code R114, Colour R-114C-U is a clear over colour over silver base, and I can't blow in a repair with a decent finish.

I was talking with Chris Tunner about it back in the Autumn of 2018, and he had graciously offered to paint the rear panel for me - sadly that won't now be possible !

If anyone has practical experience with this wretched colour, I would appreciate your advice about matching the rest of the paintwork..

Hi Chopper

Abingdon Honda as run by Steve King and winner of multiple “best dealer” plaudits ceased trading some years ago and were taken over the Blade Group.

Their Pan engineer Nick works in the Blade workshop in Abingdon. The salesman Stuart now works at Premier bikes, still runs a blue Pan and is the font of all knowledge.

It’s handy for me that they’re just a few minutes down the road - oddly enough I have a KTM and a Pan European now. Though much as I love it I think it needs to become a Range Rover or Landcruiser in the spring.

5da00b2f4c7fef91ba07650733782a58.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I bought a brand new st1300 in 2004,did a 2 week tour around Europe when I came back I sold it. A few weeks later I bought a st1100 with ABS, Cbs, TCS. I am on my 4th st1100, the st1100 my be old but the build quality is 2nd to none.

Bryn

That's lovely - Have you fitted the clear front indicator lenses from a seller in Nederlands ?

If any ST1100 fanciers read this, I would appreciate your help, please.

I bought an elderly ST1100A via a tip-off from a UKGSER member - It was heavily corroded, and most of the panelwork had been re-attached with generic M5 or M6 pan head bolts.
None of the bolts were shouldered, and have damaged the panel finish due to overtightening.

Have any of the UKGSer community come across a diagram which has detailed pics/dimensions for each of the myriad panel fixings on an ST1100 ?
I have tried to decipher the parts fiche on Fowlers website, but it is unclear on fixing type/location/qty.

Any useful guidance would be gratefully received.

Chopps

Bryn

That's lovely - Have you fitted the clear front indicator lenses from a seller in Nederlands ?

If any ST1100 fanciers read this, I would appreciate your help, please.

I bought an elderly ST1100A via a tip-off from a UKGSER member - It was heavily corroded, and most of the panelwork had been re-attached with generic M5 or M6 pan head bolts.
None of the bolts were shouldered, and have damaged the panel finish due to overtightening.

Have any of the UKGSer community come across a diagram which has detailed pics/dimensions for each of the myriad panel fixings on an ST1100 ?
I have tried to decipher the parts fiche on Fowlers website, but it is unclear on fixing type/location/qty.

Any useful guidance would be gratefully received.

Chopps

If you can put up with the men behaving like old women about their bikes on the Pan Facebook pages, there are some helpful links to be found to things like that which you seek.

Bryn

Chopps

Not me… bought the bike a short time ago from another member on here…. They were described as ‘switchback LED indicators that double as DRL’s’ and very effective they are…bright white running lights, but flash orange when turning

Back
Top Bottom