RIDE MAGAZINE

turpin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This months issue has a test comparing the R1250GS and their current R1200GS Exclusive. :rolleyes:

There will many on here who will swear by it and equally there will be those that will tear holes in it :blagblah:blagblah.

As with any new product it is subjective and I am not saying it is the answer to all the questions out there!? You'll only answer your own questions by getting out there and riding one yourself!!

What was their conclusion ?

'If you're comimg to the end of a PCP deal, you might as well upgrade. If you've bought a new R1200GS since 2014, you might not feel the need just yet - especially if you want to wait and see how reliable ShiftCam turns out to be'.

'But owners of older GSs will definately appreciate the new level of performance from the R1250GS, as well as other improvements, especially to suspension'.

They have put the 2 bikes on a dyno the figures are as follows;

R1200GS 117.2 bhp @ 7800 rpm

R1200GS 86.1 lb.ft @ 6600 rpm

R1250GS 127 .0 bhp @ 7600 rpm

R1250GS 99.8 lb.ft @6300 rpm

These are quotes and printed figures from the featured article.

Buy the mag and then form your own opinion. As I've said some will be convinced by what they read, others will trash it accordingly :augie

At the end of the day 'you pay your monies you take your choice'. Me I'm going to wait until the next version/upgrade appears hopefully some of the bugs will have been sorted by then??

We came to that conclusion ourselves 2 months ago. I think they just cut and paste our arguments on here and cut out the death threats, personal attacks and abuse..

If that R1200 had been on Hilltops Dyno it would have started at 86 bhp, and ended up at 117.2 bhp and £350 later....

Feeling much faster on the way home :D

If that R1200 had been on Hilltops Dyno it would have started at 86 bhp, and ended up at 117.2 bhp and £350 later....

Feeling much faster on the way home :D

Are you saying that their current R1200GS has been hilltoped? Or is the dyno at Hilltop something special??

Also the figure they gave for their R1200GS are 117. 2 bhp and 86.1 lb.ft did you deliberately get the figures the wrong way round?

He is being sarcastic as the dyno ffigure ride mag quote is higher than hilltop usually get after supposedly adding 25bhp.

Its a topic of great debate, endless in fact.

It's a topic of great debate, endless in fact. You're right there!!

One upmanship, it ain't worth it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But they are testing the wrong thing!!!!

The real scandal is not that they are faster but that they are slower. Slower to stop that is

But all sarcastic comments aside I would be interested to know as I had one or two comments that the braking feel is better (yes it is when I tested it) but braking distance is up a bit. Now I know it’s hard to test properly as there are sooooo many variables but it would just irk me if they were not as good as what I have currently.
Things are supposed to get incrementally better not worse (apart from everything back “in my day” when everything was just better and mars bars were bigger).

They are all good from 2004 up to Shiftcam.
It is all about boys toys and we like our toys.
If it was about speed a 15 year old Fazer would blow them both away.

But they are testing the wrong thing!!!!

The real scandal is not that they are faster but that they are slower. Slower to stop that is

But all sarcastic comments aside I would be interested to know as I had one or two comments that the braking feel is better (yes it is when I tested it) but braking distance is up a bit. Now I know it’s hard to test properly as there are sooooo many variables but it would just irk me if they were not as good as what I have currently.
Things are supposed to get incrementally better not worse (apart from everything back “in my day” when everything was just better and mars bars were bigger).

There has not been (correct me if i'm wrong) a single scientific test done between the new and old.

FFS, correct scientific tests have no place on this forum. It’s opinions from people who have never ridden the 1250 that count as being fact.

FFS, correct scientific tests have no place on this forum. It’s opinions from people who have never ridden the 1250 that count as being fact.

Correct scientific facts are bullshit, and have no place here, period.

I've never ridden the R1250 and can tell it's shit just by looking at it.... and its slower.

I'm still buying one.

There has not been (correct me if i'm wrong) a single scientific test done between the new and old.

You are wrong !
Unless of course you don’t think the Dyno test results he posted just above you are not scientific enough ?
A couple of mags have also definitely measured braking using GPS loggers and the new bike seems to take a few metres long to stop from around the 60+mph mark. And I’m pretty sure top speed too but I can’t rememne the results although unless gearing has change you’d expect the new bike to be faster.

I’ll admit that none of these tests were conducted in a lab using test tubes or a Bunsen burner :thumb

Here you go further info regarding the comparisons between the R1200GS the R1250GS

Top speed: R1200 137mph R1250 139.8mph

0-60 3.66 sec 3.53 secs

Top gear roll on
40mph to 120mph R1200 13 secs R1250 10.7 secs

Top gear roll on
60mph to 90mph R1200 4.4 secs R1250 3.6 secs

Braking 70-0 mph R1200 51.7m R1250 51.2m

If you want to know more go and spend £4.30 and read it for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first published test comparlng 1250 to 1200 gave a slightly shorter stopping distance in favour of the 1200. They did one test with one run only, and their own comment was that the small difference was insignificant.
The bikes had different tires, and unless they use a GPS with recording, 0,1 sec delay of brake aplication would make up the difference.

Both systems are quite capable of locking the wheel, thus it's up to the tyre and ABS computer to do the job.

Since both bikes are using same type of ABS computer, for all practical purpose their braking ability will be similar.
Even if the new brakes feels like having a better bite, the Brembos are still quite capable to lock up the front wheel with perhaps slightly more effort.

I suspect the major difference when comparing stopping distance. will be the tires.

In case nobody noticed but Simon Weir of Ride has quit the mag and is moving to Aus.

Back
Top Bottom