Crack in screen.

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just bought a Wunderlich screen of eBay with a 40mm crack coming from one of the fixing mount holes.
It has been drilled to stop it from spreading but, what is the best way to repair?
I thought maybe V-prep from each side and use an epoxy glue .
What say the experts !

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

Not the easiest job to get right. Assuming it's acrylic, you need something like this ................ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131755687310. Defo not epoxy resin. BTW this one is technically for indoor use, but I couldn't see any outdoor with a quick search, so may be worth exchanging an email with the vendor.

There are various vids on YouTube explaining the process - essentially you gently spread the crack very slightly, dribble in a small quantity of the acryic glue, which effectively melts the area of the join & bond the two edges together. The pot gives you drying/curing times.

Now the problem. The crack was probably caused by over-tightening a fixing - someone managed it with my F650GS 2/3 cracks around all 4, so the screen was a write-off (OE were crap anyway). Clearly the repair won't be as strong as the original & the question is will the repair hold, given the hot/cold, wet/dry, flexing conditions that a screen endures. Worth a try, but TBH I have my doubts. Just wondering, why did you buy a cracked screen in the first place? - hopefully it was stupid cheap.

I've recently cracked my screen by myself (what a stupidity)... Anyways, I will try fixing with epoxy, but I feel that I may need a new screen.
Do you folks think, that an aftermarket screen is okay? Or that's not a good idea and I'd rather start looking for a used stock screen?...
It is a 2015 R1200GS...

Will share a picture with you folks:
atgk7.jpg

(I do not see an option to attach a pic).

Epoxy isn't good for this sort of repair - it's not flexible enough.

Welding would be better, but it'll look ugly.

Brace yourself for a new screen.

Edit - can you use the old screen as a template? Take it to an acrylic sign shop and ask them to cut you another.

I would use super glue rather than epoxy.
Warm the tube in warm water first.
Capillary action should pull the glue into the crack.

Back
Top Bottom