Has anyone fitted one of these ...

Bob Jeffries

It's good to be back ..
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2017 TB and I've laid it on its side a number of times, always when stationary (ish) and with my dearly beloved on the back - it's an age thing.

The standard BMW engine bars protect the cylinders ok but they do get pushed in towards the engine at the rear. Touratech do a set of bars that have a brace at the rear that prevents this happening and also do an add-on brace to strengthen the standard BMW bars - https://shop.touratech.co.uk/stainl...from-2017-r1200gs-lc-adventure-from-2017.html

Has anyone an opinion on the strengthening brace?

I think its Nippy Normans do a good set of stainless head covers that have a thick rubber backing to them

Become friends with your local powdercoat company...

I've got a set fitted on my 2015 GSA, only ever laid it down once, but worked a treat.....would recommend them

Never used the Touratech one,s I have the Wunderlich one,s slipped on loose gravel, bike down, slight scratch on the engine bars, bike was saved, but not my pride........;)

On my 1200GS I have the matt black Puig crash bars. I specifically got these because they offer great protection and should the bike go over (it has off-road) I just need to put some paper of cardboard between the bars and the motor, grab a can of black spray paint and like new again. Maybe a little sanding if you also scratched the bars.

My thoughts exactly, but no-one else seems to do anything similar.

If it works it could possibly save a valve cover which I'm sure would cost more.

The BMW bars rely on the rubber blocks to stop the bars contacting the valve covers and so far that's worked so perhaps that's enough.

I fitted those bmw covers to my Rallye... got them S/H off here... nicely made, rubber insert and won’t flip the bike...

I have a 2017 TB and I've laid it on its side a number of times, always when stationary (ish) and with my dearly beloved on the back - it's an age thing.

The standard BMW engine bars protect the cylinders ok but they do get pushed in towards the engine at the rear. Touratech do a set of bars that have a brace at the rear that prevents this happening and also do an add-on brace to strengthen the standard BMW bars - https://shop.touratech.co.uk/stainl...from-2017-r1200gs-lc-adventure-from-2017.html

Has anyone an opinion on the strengthening brace?

Yes, I have them fitted on my 2018 GSA Rallye. Fitted a treat....but not ‘used’ them yet - touch wood. Just added a re-assurance value for me. Am away at mo, but happy to take a piccie of them fitted for you if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom