Ultimate Windshield Adjuster

Just a word of warning: the Puig 9397 (the upper body protection parts) WILL NOT fit rhe 1250, ordered some to try them out and while they have the same serial number for both bikes (1200 and 1250) the right hand one will not fit because the master cylinder is way bigger on the 1250 than on the 1200 and the metalic supports will colide with it (the left one works fine)

Just solved the problem (some cut and weld) and did a quick trip to try them and I´m pleased to tell that they work real well, had some turbulencies around my arms that are almost gone, money well spent (if you have access to a welding machine ;) )

I have had very poor technical support from PUIG. I had an issue with the screen brackets which are defective and misaligned the screen holes both in angle and displacement. I sent photos, response was "follow the instructions". I would not recommend buying the ERS unless you have "fettling" skills. Luckily I did an apprenticeship at Rolls-Royce.

An interesting video but I wonder how well it would work in the real world. :nenau. Just have that horrible feeling the motor would give out all to quickly.

That was exactly what hit me as well.

Even so, one of the weak links in the OEM set up is the plastic worm drive, which is removed with this modification.

I find it cool that you may use your OEM screen, which on my GSA works quite well. This might be a great setup if controlled via a CANswitch. Then you could use the up/down switch as inputs to the CANswitch and program in a speed limit for maximum speed that it will operate. The OEM design with power on one side only + the sliders will increase friction by speed regardless of the gear size in the motor drive.

All in all the setup appears to be well made, and given the inherent limitations of the entire screen setup I expect the system to work flawless as long as the limitations of speed is respected.

Thank you all for sharing your experience. I enjoy the various pro/cons without ugly remarks and slander. :beerjug:

Kuntk;

I think you're absolutely correct when you mention that " the sliders increase friction by speed regardless of gear size in the motor drive " . The other factors you mention also affect its functioning, however to a much, much lesser extent.

An interesting experiment is to, while applying a little bit of pressure on the top of the screen simulating the wind effect, to try to turn the adjusting knob to either lower or raise the screen. It soon becomes quite obvious that as pressure backward increases it becomes ever harder to either raise or lower the screen up to the point of becoming impossible to move the screen without braking the bike's original mechanism.

Once you remove the pressure it becomes easy to move the screen either up or down.

Corroborating on your original comment, the negative effects of flexing back the screen is the exponential increase of friction on the two bearings that should slide on their tubes, making next to impossible to move the screen uo or down. As the experiment above shows, irrelevant if the applied force to raise or lower the screen is manual or motorized, the system will not work at speeds above some 60 or 70 Km/h on the GSA and, having a smaller area windshield, at a bit higher speeds on the GS. Again I want to reinforce that this is due the flexing of the screen and its corresponding ever higher friction on the sliders.

On the instructional installing video, the up and down switch set is shown being mounted on the bike's right hand side. I plan to mount mine on the left hand side as this will allow me to use my right hand to put pressure forward on the windshield counteracting the backwards movement of the screen due to wind pressure. I believe that this way, I will be able to electrically either raise or lower the screen even at higher speeds. In fact, this is one of the reasons I've purchased this set as presently it is too difficult ( and dangerous ) to take both hands off the bars, one to turn the knob and the other to pressure forward the windshield, to adjust its height; its easier to slow down the bike...

I will report the results of these experiments as soon as I receive, install and test the system.

Andre

I've received my Windshield Elevator on January 31st.

It is nicely packaged with all parts present. Unfortunatelly no instalation instructions came with the unit. Prior to instalation I've watched again the instalation video I've posted before.

Instalation was pretty straight forward and took me about 1 hour from begginig to end.

It works nicely, however, so far, I have only tested it to 110 Km/h and must say I was surprised that it managed to raise and lower the screen at these speeds ! According to the manufacturere, on a GSA, it should work up to speeds of 70 Km/h.

I haven't had a chance to ride on a highway and try it at even higher speeds yet but as soon as I do so I will report again.

As far as I am concerned, even if it only works on speeds of up to 110 Kn/h I am pretty satisfied with this new toy ! Its nice to play with it and I must have raised and lowered the screen at least 50 times so far. The was no t one glitch so far.

Andre

Interesting, I might be tempted to give it a go myself.

Hi;

As a follow up I would like to report that my windshield elevator has been working flawleesly. I've just returned from an 11340 Km trip and have used it countless times without a glitch !

I find it to workable to speeds up to 110 Km/h. It works at 120 Km/h also however I get the feeling that it is pushing it too much.

As I expected, if need arises to raise the windshield at higher speeds I help it by pushing the windshield forward with my left hand while on autopilot.

This forward pressure decreases the high dragging of the origial screen mechanism allowing the windshields elecator's motor to do its job.

Highly recomended !

Good to hear, thanks for posting.

Ordered one, should be here within 3 weeks.

Screen adjuster arrived and fitted today. Ill hopefully be able to trial it this weekend and take some better snaps.

Attachments

• IMG_0777.JPG
    IMG_0777.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 347
Hi;

As a follow up I would like to report that my windshield elevator has been working flawleesly. I've just returned from an 11340 Km trip and have used it countless times without a glitch !

I find it to workable to speeds up to 110 Km/h. It works at 120 Km/h also however I get the feeling that it is pushing it too much.

As I expected, if need arises to raise the windshield at higher speeds I help it by pushing the windshield forward with my left hand while on autopilot.

This forward pressure decreases the high dragging of the origial screen mechanism allowing the windshields elecator's motor to do its job.

Highly recomended !

By mistake I wrote that I help it with my left hand while the correct is with my RIGHT HAND !

Also, I've mounted the controling buttons on the left side and not on the right side as shown in the manufacturer's video.

Baz;

On which side of ythe bike did you mount the controlling buttons ?

On my GSA I use Baja Designs lights in place of the original fog lights and therefore as the original switch mounted just under the left hand side mirror was useless, in its place I've mounted the windshield's swittch. The reason is that to have my right hand free while on auto pilot in order to push forward the windshield screen helping the electric motor at speeds above 110 Km/h

Although the provided switch cable seems a bit short to mount it on the left side, if routed behind the dash it works out ok.

I mounted it on the right.

OK , I tried it today with a Vstream tall screen. It struggled to raise it at anything above 50mph unless assisted. It would lower ok at legal motorway speeds. I have Cymarc braces which added to the resistance. I was spoiled with the Pan screen as that would adjust at triple figure speeds with no problems at all.
I guess with the standard screen it would work fine at higher speeds.
Would I recommend it. Only if you regularly alter the screen position or you break the original part. This motor is a similar price to the BMW part & I have managed to snap two of the adjusters. I do think it looks tidier than the original part though

Attachments

• IMG_0779.JPG
    IMG_0779.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 247
Tried it again with the original Adv screen. it would work up to about 60mph, but needed assistance above that. I have the Cymarc brackets fitted which were loose, but were restricting movement.
I bought the electric screen mainly to try & find a sweet spot to reduce wind noise, but I don't think Ill find it on the GSA. The Givi screen is the best one so far but I'm running short of options now. Maybe time to go back to a big tourer.

Tried it again with the original Adv screen. it would work up to about 60mph, but needed assistance above that. I have the Cymarc brackets fitted which were loose, but were restricting movement.
I bought the electric screen mainly to try & find a sweet spot to reduce wind noise, but I don't think Ill find it on the GSA. The Givi screen is the best one so far but I'm running short of options now. Maybe time to go back to a big tourer.

have you tried the Puig touring screen? its the same shape as the OEM adventure screen but a couple of inches taller. Works very well for me, i'm 6ft. Looks great in light smoke too!

https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/windscreens-for-fairing-bikes/touring-screen?bike=12233

you need the big Wunderlich screen and the mra x screen spoiler,works for me ,visor up at 70 plus no prob and zero bufferting

Back
Top Bottom