Bike won’t turn off!

R1200GSAPilot

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Second time this has happened. Warning “Spring strut levelling fault...” message comes up, ABS stops working, but worst of all, bike won’t shut down. The engine kill works, but the ignition won’t. Only solution is to disconnect the battery, then all seems well.

2018 TB Adventure.

Any suggestions? (Buy a KTM is not an option)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Turn the key to off and remove it

Ah, keyless.....................it's the way forward:blast

If it won't turn off, get back on it and carry on riding. It's like a dog on a walk, it'll tell you when it's time to go home....

Pretty sure It’s a the bike telling u that there is no reading from one of the height sensors on the suspension. Why that would prevent it from shutting down I’m not sure. Dealer time imo

Certainly sounds like some component is continuing to run after the shutdown command. Often the fuel pump relay sticking on cars, or the ign module itself - it would seem strange if it were a suspension sensor to me, but your dealer will soon find the culprit when running the codes.

If it won't turn off, get back on it and carry on riding. It's like a dog on a walk, it'll tell you when it's time to go home....

The bike was in the heart of “bike theft land” with the ignition still on, so disconnected the battery and started it again which worked.

It looks like it’s back to the dealer then....

Thanks for the feedback. John S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks gents...Booked into the dealers. My 1150 was the most reliable bike I ever had... how I miss it.

Thanks gents...Booked into the dealers. My 1150 was the most reliable bike I ever had... how I miss it.

What about the sidestand with the bike in gear and clutch pulled in, does that stop the engine, just a thought to narrow things down.

in my experience (mainly BMW cars though) multiple gremlins like that appearing at once indicate a short to ground somewhere. I'd have a quick glance over to see if you can spot any wires that might have been pinched somewhere. a chassis ground that's suddenly live causes absolute electrical havoc!

Good suggestions.
I’ll check the obvious wiring and the side stand switch did cut the engine, but the ignition switch wouldn’t work.

The bike was in the heart of “bike theft land” with the ignition still on, so disconnected the battery and started it again which worked.

It looks like it’s back to the dealer then....

Thanks for the feedback. John S

Better get used to visiting the dealer. So much electronic stuff to go wrong.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Ignition barrel is faulty. Replacement part on it’s way but will take a few days and will have to be paired to the bike.

After a week the ignition was changed. Worked for a couple of days, then exactly the same. The only resolution is to Dixon next the battery.
Back at the dealers again soon.

After a week the ignition was changed. Worked for a couple of days, then exactly the same. The only resolution is to Dixon next the battery.
Back at the dealers again soon.

Sorry to hear that mate. Other models have had this too i.e. S1000R/RR so not related to keyless

Back
Top Bottom