Heated grips wiring.

Dragon Master

Reaction score
Ok, I'm actualky asking this question about an RT, but experience tells me I'm more likely to get an answer here.
A couple of years back I bought an R1150RT. 2001 model, which had all the touring gear (Tank bag, intercom, sat-nav) fitted from new, all ready to go touring. But for some reason it didn't have the heated grips.

So my question is, will the wiring for the heated grips be in place as far as the connections under the tank? In other words If I get the grips and new bar switches, will they be 'plug and play'?

Also what about the alternator? I know the R1100 GS had different rated alternators fitted to cope with heated grips (if fitted as standatd), what about this bike?

I would assume that if it does have the wiring it would have a beefy enough alternator.

TIA, Dave.

I would recommend fitting the Oxford grips, much cheaper and pretty good. Only snag I had was the rhs grip is helluva tight onto the throttle tube, so much so that I broke said tube on the 1200 and had to revert to the BMW OEM grips. BUT I then fitted the Oxford jobbies to my R100 and they are great. Good control, and auto-off.

So my question is, will the wiring for the heated grips be in place as far as the connections under the tank? In other words If I get the grips and new bar switches, will they be 'plug and play'?

Yes.

Not sure if the bars will be drilled for the wiring, something tells me.....

Cheers Neil, was hoping you'd answer.

Bin Riding,

Was thinking of fitting 'Ardi' ones, as I have on my FJ, bloody good and much easier to operate than Oxford. But as I may be selling the bike I want to keep to BMW stuff if I can, even if it does cost more. You know what folk are like, any excuse to try to knock price down.

The original BMW ones for 1200 cost GBP185 a year ago. I ordered on the Friday before Christmas and got them by Christmas Eve, thanks to Motorworks and the Postman! Very easy to fit because they are plugged into loom in the switch assemblies. So no wiring to consider.

You will be buying a switch assembly too, ouch!

Never came across ARDI, I am sure they are good too, but would need to make sure they have a kit that suits the bike throttle tube diameter and length...

Point taken re Bars...I put Renthal bars on my 1150GS, can't remember whether old bars or new bars or both has the wiring run inside exiting in the middle between the bar clamps.. neat job when done.

I have been through this with two oilheads. Both r1100s models. Pre 04 the loom did not incorporate heated grip wiring. O4 on it was just a case of finding the connectors and plugging the components in. I'm not sure if my 1150 rt is the same as it came with heated grips.
Bmw changed the connectors for the handlebar switch around 04. The early switchblocks have black large pin connector block and the later a fine pin white block. Many of the switchblocks are interchangeable as long as they have the right connector. I think my early S ended up with a switchblock from a 1200c and the later a block from an 850. The difference are abs switches on gs models and euro headlight on off switches. Alternator output has never been an issue (both non abs lower alternator output bikes)

Attached are pics of early and late. Early has extra connectors for the loom you may need to purchase.

Ebay germany is a great source of used heated grip switchblocks. Search bmw Lenkerschalter rechts with the model name you are after

b8d18b8cf32c58f2a613fa96a7f387aa.jpg
5d6410b466b6c1819a2f2d5453b9d093.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The early switchblocks have black large pin connector block and the later a fine pin white block. Many of the switchblocks are interchangeable as long as they have the right connector.

Simple.
If you have a light on/off switch you have the large connector block.
If you don't have a light switch you have the fine pin block.

Sorry I have to disagree. Always on headlights have been mandatory for 25 plus years (So no switch) in Australia and yet the connectors changed across all oilheads in 03.

Sorry I have to disagree. Always on headlights have been mandatory for 25 plus years (So no switch) in Australia and yet the connectors changed across all oilheads in 03.

But we're not in australia so your switch information bares no relevance whatsoever to the OP's question .

Plus we were trusted to turn our own lights on until 2003.

Only trying to help....... I'm not sure how I was meant to know when you lost the ability to switch your lights on..... I might go back to loitering rather than contributing. Cheers

I think we need to hear from correspondents in Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, Ecuador and Kazakhstan, in order to get a truly global response. Hearing from Australia alone is no use at all.

Back
Top Bottom