Life insurance - road riding penalised heavily by Direct Line

Deleted account 210604001

Reaction score
I just had a quote for some life insurance over a 20 year period (just level term protection, no critical illness) and for the amount I wanted it was just under £30 per month which I thought was reasonable.

Having gone through the quote, it increased to just under £55 per month solely because I added 'motorcycle or scooter riding on the road'. This wasn't about motorsport (which was a separate option), just road riding. I changed this selection to not riding a bike on the road, and it returned to the original quoted cost.

This seems like a huge % increase for something that no doubt increases the risk but that seems a bit extreme !

Any recommendations for life insurance (that dont penalise bikers) let me know !

RBW.

Thirty five years selling life assurance and I never came across a loading for riding a bike. Either a drone in sector seven has made a mistake or they don't want your money. What was the wording of the question that you answered "riding a bike on the road" to ?

Just out of interest try selecting horse riding and see what effect it has on the quote

:beerjug:

Sounds like their model is to offer lowest possible bottom line, then load you up for every thing they can.
My experience with such companies is to walk away. It’s not the behaviour of a quality company.
Life insurance is too important to go for the lowest bid.

A quick Google search reveals that some on-line Life companies do load premiums for motorcycling and other activities. Great if you don’t do motorcycling (the vast majority of the country doesn’t) but maybe not so good if you do. Keep shopping around; you’ll find an insurer whose terms suit you.

Back
Top Bottom