Thread: Life insurance - road riding penalised heavily by Direct Line

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Life insurance - road riding penalised heavily by Direct Line

I just had a quote for some life insurance over a 20 year period (just level term protection, no critical illness) and for the amount I wanted it was just under £30 per month which I thought was reasonable.

Having gone through the quote, it increased to just under £55 per month solely because I added 'motorcycle or scooter riding on the road'. This wasn't about motorsport (which was a separate option), just road riding. I changed this selection to not riding a bike on the road, and it returned to the original quoted cost.

This seems like a huge % increase for something that no doubt increases the risk but that seems a bit extreme !

Any recommendations for life insurance (that dont penalise bikers) let me know !

RBW.
    "The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better" - W1A

Thirty five years selling life assurance and I never came across a loading for riding a bike. Either a drone in sector seven has made a mistake or they don't want your money. What was the wording of the question that you answered "riding a bike on the road" to ?
    2002 1150 Adventure.

VIGILUM Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Just out of interest try selecting horse riding and see what effect it has on the quote

If you don't know where you are going Any road will take you there

Sounds like their model is to offer lowest possible bottom line, then load you up for every thing they can.
    My experience with such companies is to walk away. It’s not the behaviour of a quality company.
    Life insurance is too important to go for the lowest bid.

A quick Google search reveals that some on-line Life companies do load premiums for motorcycling and other activities. Great if you don’t do motorcycling (the vast majority of the country doesn’t) but maybe not so good if you do. Keep shopping around; you’ll find an insurer whose terms suit you.

Quote Originally Posted by luke scott View Post
    . What was the wording of the question that you answered "riding a bike on the road" to ?
    I imagine that it was, "Do you ride a motorcycle or scooter on the road ?"
    It's only a bloody date change.