Rain tarp / tent extension.

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2man Bibler Ahwahnee tent bought a while back in the US which is a single skin type. It is semi domed with flat straight sides.
What I want is an area where I can shade, put the chair up, cook and keep the rain out if one side of tent is open.
Or, in heavy rain, use as a fly sheet to stop droplets bouncing off the taut single skin surface.
One’s I’ve seen on the internet as with most products have a wide price range.

Any recommendations as the costliest is not always the best.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

DD Tarps are great, I have one.. Having said that, I also bought a Chinese one from amazon and it seems to be made extremely well. Was less than half the cost.

D.

DD Tarps are great, I have one.. Having said that, I also bought a Chinese one from amazon and it seems to be made extremely well. Was less than half the cost.

D.

Certainly there are 100’s of tarps available. I would prefer one with steel eyelets than the thin brass type that buckle under stress or slip out of the webbing.
May go for the DD Pro 3x3, at least if it fails, I can send it back.

In my experience a tarp over the door of a tent is a bit of a faff to put up and get right, especially if just for one night, although the more you do it the less of a faff it becomes. They are never very stable so if its a bit windy you will have a lot of flapping and possibly rubbing on your main tent - never a good idea and overnight you will barely sleep as you will be worried about the tarp blowing away. Also they are not that effective in windy conditions anyway unless you can get it low to the ground, and even then the tarp is cold and draughty to sit under. Finally in heavy rain all the rain hitting the tarp has to go somewhere. Rain will run off the guys at the corners mainly and if the ground doesn't drain well puddles always seems to creep back under the tarp or under the tent turning everything soggy. If I can be bothered with a tarp I try and put it up away from the tent, although these days I have a redverz expedition that has a big built in porch (which also suffers from being flappy and making puddles) :nenau.

What I have done with mine is put elasticated cord in the corner eyelets which takes out the flappiness, and makes it easier to put up solo....just peg out the corner elastics and then tension it by putting up the pole/s.

What I have done with mine is put elasticated cord in the corner eyelets which takes out the flappiness, and makes it easier to put up solo....just peg out the corner elastics and then tension it by putting up the pole/s.

Exactly what I did as soon as I got mine... Paracord with fixed loops (not slipknots) at each corner.
Peg one corner, pace out 5m and peg in the second. 90deg turn and pace out 5m then peg in #3 before repeating and pegging out #4. Being elastic, it automatically centres itself and you just insert the (2 or 4) poles and lift into place. You now have a tensioned and non-flappy tarp erected in around 2mins... :thumb2

Very useful in the snow.

Attachments

• IMG_0719.JPG
    IMG_0719.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 399
Exactly what I did as soon as I got mine... Paracord with fixed loops (not slipknots) at each corner.
Peg one corner, pace out 5m and peg in the second. 90deg turn and pace out 5m then peg in #3 before repeating and pegging out #4. Being elastic, it automatically centres itself and you just insert the (2 or 4) poles and lift into place. You now have a tensioned and non-flappy tarp erected in around 2mins... :thumb2

Very useful in the snow.

Mmmmm, tent in the back garden in the middle of winter. Someone was sent to the doghouse .

Mmmmm, tent in the back garden in the middle of winter. Someone was sent to the doghouse .

No I think that was taken in Dec in the Pub garden at the King and Thai at Broseley near Ironbridge

A memorable ukgser weekend when it snowed on arrival on the Friday afternoon (I booked into a pub with nice CH and a log Fire)

Saturday's trail ride was fun

Paul shows a thoughtful use of a tarp for camping

No I think that was taken in Dec in the Pub garden at the King and Thai at Broseley near Ironbridge

A memorable ukgser weekend when it snowed on arrival on the Friday afternoon (I booked into a pub with nice CH and a log Fire)

Saturday's trail ride was fun

Paul shows a thoughtful use of a tarp for camping

Nowt wrong with your memory, JB... :D

Brilliant weekend, and the other useful trick that weekend was remembering to take a hot water bottle.

Finally, after thoughtful consideration, I ordered the DD 3x3 Camo Pro at £60. The ultralight looks good but as the bike carries the load, saving a half kilo is not much so standard will do.
The pro has more eyelets to support more positions.

What sales did not know was whether the eyelets are steel or cheap brass.

Back
Top Bottom