1150GSA - headlights - LED, HID, What's the latest?

Just take your original dust caps and bulbs with you.

I've not had time to do mine yet, but the plan is add some male bullet connectors to the LED bulbs (or buy some waterproof 2-pin connectors and replace the stock 2-pin clip), buy a generic rubber 'LED bulb' dust caps (something like this), cut a hole through it to pass the wires and you're done.

Sod it, I’ve just ordered a pair of LED bulbs that look as if they’ll fit straight in with the same connection as standard bulbs. I’m not convinced they’ll work because there’s no heat sink or fan but at under a tenner a pair it’s worth a try. They arrive Sunday so I’ll either fit them straight away if they arrive early enough otherwise it’ll be Monday.

Sod it, I’ve just ordered a pair of LED bulbs that look as if they’ll fit straight in with the same connection as standard bulbs. I’m not convinced they’ll work because there’s no heat sink or fan but at under a tenner a pair it’s worth a try. They arrive Sunday so I’ll either fit them straight away if they arrive early enough otherwise it’ll be Monday.
Can we have a link please? A tenner a pair is loose change so there's nothing to lose in trying them.

Yeah link please - no heat sink?

Having just done a quick dig, it looks like those LED H1 bulbs without a heat sink only produce around 800 lumens each... the heat-dinked ones produce about 8000, so I’m interested to see how they perform

More info/report when you can :)

They’re going to be crap because they’re only 50w and the supplier says they’re 6000K then when you click more all of a sudden you get something that says luminous flux 670LM. I’m blaming home brew plus flu tablets for my haste and failure to read the full description but I’ll bung them in the LC section for £30 each and they’ll sell within minutes :green gri

I’ll try logging off from my Amazon account then get a link because while I’m logged in either it’s being a twat or I am :D

Well the bulbs work so that’s a plus point. They don’t fit through the bulb holder and I’m not prepared to grind away parts of the holder to make it fit so they’re going in the box of spare bulbs that may fit in either my van, our motorhome or the wifes car.

This has raised another minor issue in that when I refitted the wire to the back of the original main beam bulb it didn’t work so I took it out and found it’s blown. I’ve not ridden the GS at night since I first bought it so it might have blown when I removed it (doubtful) or it may have vibrated around and blown when I’ve been bouncing the bike along the broken road surfaces near home but at least I’ve found it now rather than next week when I’m about to set off for Denmark.

Back to Amazon then....

Apologies, I have not read this thread fully, but I have had experience of poor dipped beam lighting on a Volvo V50 and Hymer motor home both using projector lenses.
Over time the lenses and the internal reflective surfaces become dirty and tarnished and affect the light output significantly.
Have you tried stripping the whole light and cleaning
This is an example of a Hella light on a Hymer stripped and cleaned.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 476
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 487
New LED bulbs came today so that’s it, I’m fitting them.

First job as to make sure they worked. Yep, that’s ok so now to go a bit mad with the dremel and turn this

dc3ce0b5e80c5230f17003cd317d2e8f.jpg

Into this so I’ve got a plug for the electrical side of things and a big hole for the fan to protrude out of.

8a5286c078595260093440600ce55405.jpg

Once that was done I used the old faithful self amalgamating tape to make what appears to be a waterprooof plug in connection, fitted the bulb then fiddled around for about 5 minutes trying to get the bayonet fittings on the plastic cap to engage.

I’ve only done the main beam one so far because I want to test it tonight to see how good a spread I’m getting from both main and dip on the LEDs but it only took 15 minutes start to finish to do the first one so that’s no big deal.

I’m going to leave the fans exposed but I’ll have a look to see if I can box the area in a bit to prevent spray or dust getting in there but I’ve never noticed it getting manky before so I reckon it’ll be fine.

The LEDs are 1,000 lumen ones from made by Koyoso and sourced from Amazon for £20.99 which isn’t bad really.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headlight-10000LM-Replacement-Halogen-12V-24V/dp/B07H7YL3KK

I’ll report back after dark with an update on brightness.

Nice

I've ordered some 65mm 'led bulb' dust caps off eBay, so I'll post my results once I get around to fitting

I might end up buying some rubber boots that fit over the outside of the plastic cap then hold them in place with cable ties but the main beam side will be a bit fiddly to get at.

I’m happy enough with things as they stand for now because I can change over to halogen bulbs in minutes but I think that’s where the rubber boot will be more necessary because the earth connection goes to the bulb holder.

How have you fitted original back covers over these as fans will not be working with any efficiency
I don't think I need to worry about them overheating when I live in Scotland. They came highly recommended by folk on the RT group who have reported no problems. I've used them for three weeks and done about 600 miles and no issues yet. There's a wee bit of room for the fan.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

I’d have left the plastic covers intact on mine if they fitted over the fan housing but it sticks out about 25mm beyond the cover so that was the end of that idea.

The LED makes even a brand new bulb in the dipped beam look yellow but I’m going to give the bike a whizz around the village once it’s dark to see how the LED main beam stands up. It’s nice and warm so I’ll be out in jeans, trainers and a leather jacket luxuriating in the warmth provided by a shite bag :D

I’ve just done 5 miles on the unlit roads around our village and the verdict is....

I’m not convinced. Main beam is certainly brighter and it lights up the road well but there’s not really any ‘throw’ to it so all it really does is spread light inside the same distance as dipped beam.

I reckon I’ll try fitting an LED in the dipped beam to see what I get from it but I’ll order a rubber boot in case I go back to a halogen bulb and need to waterproof things a bit better.

Photos are good so here we go with one of the dipped beam with a new halogen bulb.

2fc06958c5ae7e9f4e017ddd72703b28.jpg

and one with the LED main beam.

8ef6392b0d3beb7e1590354e1127d99a.jpg

Both taken about 12’ back from the fence.

Because I’m an impatient kind of guy I just couldn’t leave it alone so armed with a headtorch I decided to fit the LED bulb in the dip beam side and have a look at the light output while it’s dark before cutting the dust cover. It’s a good job I’m a resilient as well as an impatient kind of guy because the flat on the bulb was a mirror image of where it needs to be so I quickly put that right with the dremel and fitted the bulb.

It’s ok, certainly a bit brighter (whiter) so I’ll cut the cover tomorrow and then order rubber boots or maybe just spare OEM covers so I can go back to halogen easily enough.

Andy,
It looks like the hi beam is out of focus. if you can adjust bulb in/out position the beam pattern might be much better
DAMHIK

I tried to adjust it when I went and fitted the dip beam bulb because by then I’d read the booklet that comes with the bulb kit and seen that turning the back section housing the fan adjusts the beam. It didn’t want to turn so I suspect the dust cover is catching it but I’ll be having another look in the morning. There’s only a small amount of adjustment but it improved the dip beam after the initial fit.

Why didn’t I read the booklet first? Well nobody does that do they :blast

Back
Top Bottom