1150GSA - headlights - LED, HID, What's the latest?

gabriel_gs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks - I'm back on a GSA (2004) and I want to upgrade the stock headlights - riding home in the rain last night reminded me how poor the stock ones are

Used to be that you went for HIDs with heat sinks, but reading posts about MOT failures and newer LED options?

Whats' the current advice - are there LED bulbs you can simply swap out nowadays?

Or is the HID kit still the way to go?

I kept my standard bulb (although you could look at getting a Philips bright bulb).

But I also have 2 mahoosive Clearwater Krista DLR's which show up well in the daytime and switch the sun back on at night time.

Ok, so HIDs then...

I assume I’m after the ‘Ultra-50’ kit from hid50.com? (That’s ‘Les’ right? Think I bought my last ones form him years ago!)

HIDs are very good, BUT, there can be quite a delay between switching on main beam and full brightness being achieved, even with so called 'fast' ballast/igniters. Not much of a problem on an empty motorway, but a major hazard when barrelling down a pitch black country lane. For this reason I've just changed my main beam to LED, instant light with no delay whatsoever.

Can you share details of the LED you went with?

Pretty much a generic set, eBay item number 232835396794. Took ages to arrive though. I got a set of Nighteye LEDs from seller for the car main beam which arrived much quicker, can't pull the details of those up though as it was over 90 days ago. Just search for Nighteye H1 and you'll find loads

I run with an optional 3 HIDs on dip and 3 Halogens on main all through relays.

Attachments

• 20181219_122159-02.jpg
    20181219_122159-02.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 1,178
Do they just pop straight in as a direct replacement for a standard bulb? I’ve got quite a bit of night riding to do in January and if an LED replacement is the way to go I’ll get one ordered straightaway.

Cyclops LED bulbs should fit although you may need to modify the rear plastic cover on the light body.

So if LED bulbs fit... aren’t they better/simpler/cheaper/easier than HIDs?

Cyclops LED bulbs should fit although you may need to modify the rear plastic cover on the light body.

A simple hack with a dremel or something requiring a bit more finesse? One way I’ll be fine, the other one may end in tears.

So should I look at something like these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headlights-Motorbike-Replacement-Halogen-8000LM/dp/B07KQ39X46/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545335321&sr=8-3&keywords=H1+LED

Are they brighter/better than HID? Certinaly cheaper and simpler?

Get one ordered and fit it over Xmas then report back with photos if any modifications are required please. I’m away from Saturday until the 2nd Jan so if it’s a success I’ll order one to arrive on the 2nd then fit it straight away :thumb2

At least as good, probably better. For me the clincher is the instant light, no warm up delay. And for 20 quid definitely worth a shot

Yeah I ordered one - worth a punt for £20

Good man. I’d have ordered one but Amazon were saying delivery Saturday and knowing my luck we’d have already gone as it’d be returned if the neighbours weren’t in. I’ll almost certainly order one while we’re away and trust to luck that it’ll be ok but £20 isn’t going to break the bank no matter what happens.

So this morning I was looking again at the product page on the Amazon page to realise that the 53 positive reviews it'd had actually relate to a totally different product!

As do most of the questions and answers after the first 4 or 5...

I attempted to cancel the order, but I'm too late.

So who know what they'll be like!

Ah well... I'll post my findings!

Back
Top Bottom