Best town - West Coast of Scotland.

As much as I criticise I also love living in Moray, the climate can be very temperate and quite different from many other areas thanks to it being in the lee of the Gorms and west coast mountains, it's also in a huge alluvial plain which can help to keep clear skies ( and a main reason why Lossiemouth & Kinloss bases were established ).
Under 2 hours to Ullapool and easy access to Inverness and Aberdeen airport.

We have also considered a west coast relocation at some point but the winters can be too long, wet and windy and we couldn't do it...I have a very good friend who lives on Mull and my sister lives in Fort Bill so I can talk from experience..

Given the nature of some replies there are definite areas to avoid but I'm sure you know that anyway :rolleyes:

How about a compromise and buy a modest accommodation in a western area ( don't do Oban ) and spend some time there first before cutting ties and moving...better still, get a yacht and move around to suit :D

Interestingly enough, when on Iona this year, that was the same time I seen Ewan and Charlie at the campsite on Mull ;) I spoke to the shop keeper asking what life was like and how she coped with the winters, her reply, love it, wouldn't want to live anywhere else, just seemed like desolation to me and that was when the weather was fantastic.

Definitely not West Coast, but I rather like Tain. Would be close to major facilities in Inverness and only a short (scenic) bike ride from North and West coasts. Good restaurants and a Tesco. Oh, and a distillery on your doorstep.

Troon, easy access to the highlands and dumfries, and up the toon for real pubs, plus prestwick and glasgow airports are near.

Troon, easy access to the highlands and dumfries, and up the toon for real pubs, plus prestwick and glasgow airports are near.

I actually don’t like Troon area at all. I have stayed in the area a few months at a time and never enjoyed it.

Brora and Golspie? Oh sweet Jesus - no! :blast

One-horse towns with nothing going for them.

Oi! Nowt wrong with Brora and Golspie, nice laid back little places with affordable houses, basic facilities and you can get the train down to Inverness from both locations if you fancy a day out with a few drinkies involved. Dornoch is nice too.

The only I'd have against anywhere on the NE coast is the bloody Haar (sea mist) rolling in as soon as you get more than a couple of hot sunny days. Pissed me off no end. But having said that, all you need to do is go inland by a couple of miles and the problems cured.

The only I'd have against anywhere on the NE coast is the bloody Haar (sea mist) rolling in as soon as you get more than a couple of hot sunny days. Pissed me off no end. But having said that, all you need to do is go inland by a couple of miles and the problems cured.

That's one of the main reasons we left Stonehaven. Came inland about 15 miles and an amazing difference in weather. Lot colder in the winter though.

Nobody has suggested Campbeltown so far............
Quite a pleasant area, just in a bit of a cul-de-sac. A tad windy in the winter though.
I worked at Machrihanish for a while around 1980, and it seemed to be stuck around 1960. The millenium may have reached there by now, though.

Quite a pleasant area, just in a bit of a cul-de-sac. A tad windy in the winter though.
I worked at Machrihanish for a while around 1980, and it seemed to be stuck around 1960. The millenium may have reached there by now, though.
There is a reason why nobody has mentioned you know !

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Nice enough area I know, but you are right about the cul de sac......the problem is it takes hours to escape from it!

Campbeltown is wa-a-ay out there! Tourists find it too far to drive to, and the economy there is dire.

What about just south of Oban, Ardfern etc....Wully land? Easy run to Oban or Lochgilphed. Nice road/ferry trip into Weegieland?

But but but.......

It's got.....

NEIGHBOURS.......:eek::eek:

What's the betting they'll have cats too! :D. Other downsides are lack of gas central heating. That may or may not be a good thing these days? Just an example after a very quick search. However, if that price is typical for Argyll and Bute then there are bargains to be had !

Back
Top Bottom