Magnesium cases on x bikes

Thefishingplumber

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I’ve read that timing case is magnesium. I can see also that clutch cover looks different to clutch side casing? 40 Years ago Honda xl 250 had magnesium casings . Any one know more?

Out of curiosity, I’ve read that timing case is magnesium. I can see also that clutch cover looks different to clutch side casing? 40 Years ago Honda xl 250 had magnesium casings . Any one know more?

Are you sure about that? I’m pretty sure my 1978 XL250 didn’t have magnesium casings!

Yes certainly L reg one my buddy had . There was problems not dissimilar to x clutch cover , especially if gt wet and deteriorated quite badly. Just looked up eBay and some available in magnesium. Bmw usually casts on casing if magnesium , like big gs head covers. Perhaps it was just to save weight. Meant to be as much as 50% lighter? Wonder if there were cost implications?

Short extract from the original sales literature :

Even lighter than before, the alternator minimizes the free mass weight of the entire crank drive system running in anti-friction bearings, giving the single-cylinder even more spontaneous and athletic performance. The balance shaft serving to optimize smoothness and running refinement has been retained, with the new starter and alternator cover made of magnesium making a significant contribution to the lower weight of the engine.

Back
Top Bottom