Urban GS engine management light on

Afmuir

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, went for good run yesterday, washed the bike down, put it away, said goodnight. Today went out, filled it up with petrol, couple miles down the road noticed engine management symbol in computer display plus yellow warning triangle on in main display. Came home, engine seems to run normally. Restarted it a few times to see if it had cleared but still on. Dealer closed until 4th Jan. Any ideas?

Have you removed the flapper valve in the exhaust? The latest engines will throw up a fault until you fit a dongle.

No, haven’t done anything to it. I’d read about that issue when googling this though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battery disconnected, left a while, reconnected and still engine management light on. Now also very rough trying to start and doesn’t. Might it be bad fuel? It was only about 1/2 empty when I refuelled so maybe not. All obvious electrical connections look ok.

I would think you have water in one of the connections after you cleaned the bike.

Is there anyone you know in your area with access to a GS 911 diagnostic tester so you could see any fault codes present.

Plus is it due for a service ?

Yes I was wondering about the washing. I don’t have or know anyone with a Gs911 unfortunately, that would be handy. It’s just had its 600 mile service.

Hi, went for good run yesterday, washed the bike down, put it away, said goodnight. Today went out, filled it up with petrol, couple miles down the road noticed engine management symbol in computer display plus yellow warning triangle on in main display. Came home, engine seems to run normally. Restarted it a few times to see if it had cleared but still on. Dealer closed until 4th Jan. Any ideas?

Are you sure?
From your evidence there could be a connection......

Yes positive! Don’t even have diesel car now so never use the stuff. But it’s a natural question to ask!

If you had contaminated fuel, it would be smoky from the exhaust, water or diesel will give plenty of white smoke,, even when warmed up,
it may be worth getting it nice and warm and see if it dries any potential moisture out,
is the bike kept in a garage that's dry or outside or in a damp building,

Started up again after a couple attempts, runs smoothly, some whiteish smoke but bit hard to tell as it’s cold and dark. It’s kept in garage so will have another look in the clear light of day. Engine light still on. I’m thinking either bad fuel or damp electrics?

If that was me i would check the oil level is ok then go for a good run of at least 10 miles and give it a good dry out. My bet is water in a connector.

Yes, I think I’ll give that a go tomorrow and see how it is. I’ll report back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m guessing knocksenser, get it to dealer for replacement, I’ve had one go wrong at 1500 miles, it’s the only thing that seems to let these engines down, check the obvious like low oil level before riding it far tho

Went for a run today, started fine and bike runs all ok, certainly not in any limp mode, no smoke etc. Engine light still on so will just take it into dealer on the 4th when they open and get them to check it.

Well it was the knock sensor after all, you were right snaponphil. Dealer replaced it and all good now - 700 miles in.

That's a good result then. Thanks for keeping us up to date with your progress. Worth knowing for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom