For the tough gut hammockers out there

Christos x

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Since I've become a tough adventure guy and moved from sleeping on the floor with the animals to sleeping in the trees where its tough adventure guys hang out, I've been experimenting with set ups for tarp, hammock underquilt etc.
I've been after one of these for a while and they are now available up the Amazon (of course)

Double Black Diamond Packable Down Throw - Ultra Light 60 Inch X 70 Inch, Stuff Sack Included by Double Black Diamond (Storm Grey (grey) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXOOOJP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_NnqkCb81P4NQD

Make your own under quilt with a bit of sewing for a fraction of the cost.
Those tough American adventure guys swear by them

Cheers

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Can't beat it.
Really comfy once you've experimented.
Deffo need an under quilt.. even on warmish nights when temperatures dip.
I use a DD 4x4 tarp with a ticket to the moon double hammock.
Straight through bag with thermo mattress.
Once had a badger sniffing my butt

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I would have thought that being in mid air you would be surrounded by the cold night air ,bit like those suspended tents you see on YouTube

Can't beat it.
Really comfy once you've experimented.
Deffo need an under quilt.. even on warmish nights when temperatures dip.
I use a DD 4x4 tarp with a ticket to the moon double hammock.
Straight through bag with thermo mattress.
Once had a badger sniffing my butt

Does the DD 4x4 pitch up as a decent shelter with a walking pole lucan; and what pack size and weight is it. Been toying with the idea of one of these. Or a Lavu.:beerjug:

4x4 is a large tarp.
I also use a 3x3.
Plenty of room depending how you pitch it.
Weighs around a kilo.
I carry mine in an army compression sack which reduces it to the size of a sandwich box.
I adapted a crutch for my centre pole... which doubles as a walking stick.
I use a large plastic bag as a groundsheet with my airbed on top.
I'll try find some pics.
de1e76a6465b359a8be0c9b1f312a137.jpg
dd51efd2b12cbe2eb4c7540328b167d7.jpg
4c2c75f155645e63cccf909e6faf5e68.jpg

4x4 is a large tarp.
I also use a 3x3.
Plenty of room depending how you pitch it.
Weighs around a kilo.
I carry mine in an army compression sack which reduces it to the size of a sandwich box.
I adapted a crutch for my centre pole... which doubles as a walking stick.
I use a large plastic bag as a groundsheet with my airbed on top.
I'll try find some pics.
de1e76a6465b359a8be0c9b1f312a137.jpg
dd51efd2b12cbe2eb4c7540328b167d7.jpg
4c2c75f155645e63cccf909e6faf5e68.jpg

Cheers Lucan; i take it the first picture is the 4×4; there's some good coverage there. Looks like you could sleep; east, west; or north south in that. They were the shelters i was thinking of in the bottom picture. They look like 3×3s.:beerjug:

Correct

Pic of 3x3 below which my scales indicate 1.4kg.

Pic of cook kit too.
4123c97c9fcabb55c34233b4d82c84cf.jpg
034de2d2d44e23d9c7028908b85080bc.jpg
76e35d317d5790987306a65e3dbe0f20.jpg
b6915023102e1d059d97cfeabe7763e9.jpg
20d2feecbfc8ab4d4a99b18f4b0389f1.jpg

A tidy set up you have there; the bowl with the double handles is good for hanging over an open fire; or even sat in the embers; you can pick it up with owt; also liking the modified crutch; might have to rob the mother in laws from the bottom of her stairs:D.:beerjug:

What needs modding on the crutch? It is upside down in the tarp/bivvi, I can see that. What do you do with the swivel arm band bit?

My lad uses a DD hammock, I don't know which model, but it has a tarp cover and netting hammock all in one and can be used suspended between uprights, or used as a tent bivvi and built in mozzy net with it. He has used it in the rainforest and it kept his sleeping bag 'just damp and humid' rather than soaked!

I use my tins for warming up water & food, and my 2 handle dish to as a plate... £2 from Asda.
It can be held with one thumb - even if food is very hot.

I'll take some pictures of my crutch and post them next year (oooooo matron).

DD hammocks are good products.
I prefer 'ticket to the moon'... as it suits me.

I really only use the hammock if wild camping in woodland.

Been snug and warm in the hammock at -3° but you need to prepare.
Night time toilet is awkward when all wrapped up.

A piece of string tied to a tree or tent peg and you rock yourself to sleep.

Plenty of hammock forums on the net too with interesting ideas.1520703618631.jpegIMG_20170316_170423.jpeg

Crutch adaptation.

Approx 6' walking pole.

Fully adjustable from 20" for centre-pole, which a tennis ball slips over to prevent damage to the tarp.

Amazing what you can do

Plus 2 loaves I made this morning
4abe6cd5cc0aa26e8f287dbbc1a3a176.jpg
729b3cdd7a87065605087fa04edd9a61.jpg
5d90a5dc1a10c727e96de88336b5b4e9.jpg
d2c650d72b62a300ee6ec061824b087a.jpg

Hammocks, I love them
Have been hanging for some time now, so have a couple of choices.
Piccies below, in the woods, I take my youngest for an overnight. He is in a DD Travel and I am in a DD Frontline XL. No tarps if we can help it, just looking up at the stars. Each are fitted with whoopie slings for quick suspension adjustment.
I also use a DD underquilt and snugpak blanket, both are good, but when the temps drop I do use an army artic bag and then choice of mat or foil blanket slid in the pocket underneath.
We go out just as its getting dark, set up in a couple of mins, put the kettle on for hot chocolate, bit of a chat, then bed. Up in the morning, 10 mins to pack away using snakeskins, check the site, leave no trace!, then back home for brekky 😊
Tarps range from 3 x 3 to DD XL, using the continuous ridgeline. (look it up on youtube)
The hammock on the back of the house is a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe, zipped version, a great bit of kit and comfy. Excellent quality, but a lot more money than the DD’s I have the 4 season kit for that which has underblankets, undercovers, over covers and a foil bubble wrap mat.
The carrier bag on the end has a small stove, bottle of water, coffee and mug for that all important early morning coffee without leaving my pit.
Happy swinging
Dazlove

Attachments

• IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_1938.jpg
    IMG_1938.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 282
Thanks for this thread, A proper eye opener and has got me wanting to try it.

Hello hello tough guy adventure types.

I too love my hammocks, turned from the dark side about a year ago and not looked back since.
My original toe dip was a 20 quid hammock from amazon, an exped mat and a 3x3 dd tarp. Was ook for a while but my OCD kicked in and I've since started making my own hammocks which are around 12ft long to allow a more diagonal lay.
I've made 4 so far from a variety of material with varying results.
I've also been making under quilts from old sleeping bags etc.
My current favourite set up is my DIY 13ft 2oz plain ripstop hammock, suspension is diy whoopie slings to tree huggers. I've got a static ridge line to keep the 30 degree hang.
Under quilt is a diy adapted heavy duty emergency reflective blanket (super lightweight, packs down to a fag packet and is a warm as my wife's )
I use a separate bug net when required. All topped off with a dd 4x3 tarp.
I m about to make another hammock from 1.6oz hyper D ripstop and possibly a light weight tarp from a hammock I made from 1.2oz parachute silk that is way to stretchy to sleep in.

I'll stick some pics up if anyone cares

Cheers

Thanks for that Christos..

Mine is a ticket to the moon double which allows me to sleep near horizontal.

I too started with a Amazon cloth hammock and got the bug.

Interesting regarding reflective 'underquilt'

I may nick that idea...

Just seen a mock 1 on YouTube bit bulky for the bike though .

Just seen a mock 1 on YouTube bit bulky for the bike though .
Seen this before a few months ago, I struggle to see how that could be comfortable, especially for us longer types. It doesn't look like it gives the opportunity to lay across the horizontal or be able to adapt your sleeping position.

I'm not sure what problems it's designed to solve. If your travelling where the possibility of finding uprights to support a typical hammock are non existant, there are far better options already available.

I've had no problems finding places to hang a hammock and when I do ill adapt my gear to allow me to sleep on the floor.

Along with the above, the MASSIVE pack size and the cost of it, I just don't get it.

Back
Top Bottom