Expensive light bars - I’ll Make my own!

gabriel_gs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So looking to buy a light bar to mount spots on my GSA...

Bloody hell they’re expensive!

It’s just a piece of laser-cut steel, right?

Screw that. I’ve had many bespoke pieces laser cut for not much, then powder coated for not much more

I’m gonna spec up a price for a light bar + powder coat - surely it’s cheaper than the £72 cheapest one I’ve found thus far??

I’ll report back

(Well aware I may have set myself up to fail!)

I made one out of aluminium 5mm plate, bent it on a vice to shape it. Still there after 12yrs along with my Hella HID’s.

No fancy laser doodles on it, just drilled holes to fix it.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

So looking to buy a light bar to mount spots on my GSA...

Bloody hell they’re expensive!

It’s just a piece of laser-cut steel, right?

Screw that...

Totally agree! :thumb2

Which is why I've not bought a new one...

If you make several, put me down for one!

:beerjug:

I made one out of aluminium 5mm plate, bent it on a vice to shape it. Still there after 12yrs along with my Hella HID’s.

No fancy laser doodles on it, just drilled holes to fix it.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

Yep easy enough to make one up, but I’d like something that looks properly designed/tooled

Stay tuned

The best light bar mount is a Raytheon navigator marine mount fits ferfectly under the beak with multiple mounting options, if you live near the coast you will find one in the marine electronics dealer installer and it will not be expensive £5.00 should buy it, bearing in mind this is already a marine grade aluminium and powder coated, sorted ok.

eBay if not near coast eBay raymarine bracket

Can't find anything online, but pics would be great :)

Just to re-iterate, I know I can make a one-off functional light bar for myself easy enough.

Myself-imposed brief (having designed myself and had laser-cut several bespoke parts for various bikes) is to see how cheaply I can design and have made a GS-specific, professional-looking, machine-bent, laser-cut, powder-coated, multi-mount light bar for those who want one but don't want to pay £70+

For example, this exhaust mount I designed myself, then had on online laser-cutting shop make up for me, bend in 2 places to my specifications, then a local powder-coater coat for me, cost (I think) a total of £40 (buying something similar ready-made was looking to be about £80)

exhaust_mount.jpg

I may well fail... but we'll see :)

Can't find anything online, but pics would be great :)

Just to re-iterate, I know I can make a one-off functional light bar for myself easy enough.

Myself-imposed brief (having designed myself and had laser-cut several bespoke parts for various bikes) is to see how cheaply I can design and have made a GS-specific, professional-looking, machine-bent, laser-cut, powder-coated, multi-mount light bar for those who want one but don't want to pay £70+

For example, this exhaust mount I designed myself, then had on online laser-cutting shop make up for me, bend in 2 places to my specifications, then a local powder-coater coat for me, cost (I think) a total of £40 (buying something similar ready-made was looking to be about £80)

exhaust_mount.jpg

I may well fail... but we'll see :)
Looks like an SV to me; nice piece of work.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

That it is

Here's the thread in case you want to know/see more :)

Paint job by our late friend Chris Tunbridge :(
Thanks, really nice looking bike and a great understated paint job.

Mine was the naked sv, K tech suspension modified gsxr front end, zzr14 rear shock; uprated brakes and out to 720; on the track it frightened far larger bikes.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I made one from a piece of 3mm x 25mm steel flat bar and bent it in a vice overall cost £3.50 plus a bit of paint.....

Plenty strong enough for some small led's and easy to bend

Thanks for the link to the build thread. Of all Chris's work, that sv is the one I keep coming back to for another look.

Between you, I think you've done an incredible job, love that bike. :thumb

Gabriel, I had the same thought. Measured up the bike, made a drawing and got my mate to laser cut and fold some 5mm stainless. Probably overkill but it really sturdy and fits like a glove. I mounted some cheap cree LED lights off Amazon (£16 i think) and they have been perfect over the past year in all conditions.

Hopefully the below links work (first time posting photos).

9K8uXR8.jpg

Ymly8wE.jpg

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom