Johnny Boxers Off Road North Yorkshire extravanganza

fritz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
North Yorkshire - but the map isn't the territory
What a BRILLIANT day, my how we laughed !
Cheers John for a great route – it’s amazing how it’s possible to find lanes you never knew existed on your manor.
What a great crew, laugh, the cows clapped ! Hats off to Jim for cooling off in the slippery ford of Hovingham…in front of everyone (what a stupid place for a tea room !)…we would have taken a pic, but were to concerned about getting you out mate.
Next we explored some unmapped routes and found ourselves playing Robin Hood to Johnny’s Bad King John – there was a route in there somewhere…would we ever see the outside world again ? Finally after Jez did some bushwhacking the exit was found. Still later some minor forestry work allowed us along a gnarly track through the Wolds. And so to lunch ! Moving on to the next leg we were warned off by some poncy types on MX ers and quads so the group split for the long lane to the monument above Sledmere…”You’ll never get those up there mate, our mate on his crosser took his number plate off”…puffs ! We regrouped for the last leg, nae probs at all for anyone – don’t know what our day-glow friends were on. Whilst parked up we noticed Sue’s bevel drive was leaking substantially and in fact the bevel was making some gruesome sounds. Lucky we were parked up having done an easy lane, best not think of the effect on long fast winding roads – ulp ! Off via recovery to the dealer whilst Sue took up residence on the back on John’s F650.
Truly green lanes were explored, some getting a very close inspection by Jez who swore he’s seen a rare bee orchid, but poor lad didn’t realise they don’t fly away and you don’t have to launch yourself on top of them ! No bones broken pleased to say.
A few road miles and back to the fun, a double ford in Thornton Dale…only we didn’t know immediately after the first one was a berm then another..and then the second one literally exited onto the bleedin road…argh !
Back to Helmsley for ice creams – pints for pillions - before a detour to Hawny for some examination of the flood damage and the measures in place for repair, quite sobering. The ride over Arden Moor to Kepwick finished the day with the lanes back to Thirsk.
But still the adventure wasn’t over. Chippy one closed as approached…chippy two closed…chippy three queued out the door ! We left the famished crew to return for tea and bath.
Cheers all, great day, bloody marvellous !! More please !
And so a few pics !

Ok..............Ok..........you lot !!!!

So the BMF Moto-X Bargains from the 90's were a fashion 'faux-pas' and at least 15 years out of date.......................Point .........Bloody.........Taken!!

Great write up and superb day out...........pics to follow.

Just back at 11.45pm from taking 'bikeless Sue' back home in the car.......however we managed 4 hours more off-road riding (after Sue's bike was swiftly recovered by BMW Assist), with Jez carrying her gear in his panniers (must be why he fell off so much) and me taking Sue pillion on the Dakar 650

Did some more great lanes and fords mostly 2-up.

Fish & Chips to finish at my house @ 9pm

What a day...............we're knackered - most of us were on road-going Tourances ..........with only Jez and Fritz on TKC's

For those who haven't joined in, on one of my rideouts.............you don't know what you're missing !!

Spirit of GS'ers lives on.............good mates.........good riding........good bikes .................and superb scenery

What can I say... the fun just didn't stop for 11 hours..!:D :D :D

Faced a few of my off road demons... oh and certainly checked myself for ticks after the forage in the ferns..:eek:

Even managed a couple of speedway moments on the sand and through the 'invisible' ruts...

Just such a shame that I didnt manage any of the fords after my bike was carted off half way through the day.. took me all of a nano second to tell the relay guys to just take the bike after JB was chivalrous enough to offer his pillion seat...!

Just glad I had my sun glasses on with all that dayglo:cool: :D

Thanks to you guys for all the great advise and encouragment... bring it on...:D :D :D

dave.boulder said:
I can see an Off Road Course booking looming Sue !

She doesn't need it now, Dave ...............

Sue has already conquered more on her 1150GS, than most blokes would have (me included) and taken her GS Twin to some places, that were decidely dodgy yesterday, without falling off once................Respect

Not that I didnt experience a bit of speedway styley along the way...:eek:

Definatly need a pair of engine bars to increase the confidence on the dodgy stuff... I'm stiff as a board today, from just holding on inbetween the fear and massive grin...:D :D :D

You'll be coming with us next time then Dave I take it..??

When you heading out next, sounds a lot of fun.

I was out with Fritz and the gang last year on the trip to Whitby which was superb, be good to go green again.

Andy

Room 101 said:
Not that I didnt experience a bit of speedway styley along the way...:eek:

Definatly need a pair of engine bars to increase the confidence on the dodgy stuff... I'm stiff as a board today, from just holding on inbetween the fear and massive grin...:D :D :D

You'll be coming with us next time then Dave I take it..??

Great story & pictures . Do you have a route list ? I,ve just started riding these type of lanes myself & have met some surly ramblers along the way . I try to ride only " legal " lanes but have some difficulty in determining the status of same . Any help / suggestions would be appreciated .

Harry

Back
Top Bottom