Breathalyser

Dermott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Happy new year everyone.
Probably not the right place to be asking, but I am sure their are a few resident experts here somewhere:D, I have no problem about not driving after drinking, but it is the morning after that worries me, particularly as I drive a van and could be classed as a proffesional driver. I went to Halfords to see what they had for breathalysers, but were sold out.
I am not a little chap:rolleyes:, and I like to think I have good absorbsion? but guesswork won't work with the law.
Anyone any experience with devices and bodymass/timescale?
Cheers all:beerjug:

Happy new year everyone.
Probably not the right place to be asking, but I am sure their are a few resident experts here somewhere:D, I have no problem about not driving after drinking, but it is the morning after that worries me, particularly as I drive a van and could be classed as a proffesional driver. I went to Halfords to see what they had for breathalysers, but were sold out.
I am not a little chap:rolleyes:, and I like to think I have good absorbsion? but guesswork won't work with the law.
Anyone any experience with devices and bodymass/timescale?
Cheers all:beerjug:
Personally I wouldn't trust a commercial breathalyser combined with what is, at best, a guess at individual pharmacokinetics, if my livelihood depended on it.

Absorption and metabolism of alcohol is quite variable between individuals

There is a loose guide that a persons breath/alcohol level will reduce by 7-8 micrograms per hour. Roughly suggesting that you could return from the legal limit of 35mg to zero in four to five hours. That would be if you had drunk up to the limit and then stopped.

If you had drunk a skinful then it may take longer to recover the last bit from 35 to zero as your bodies ability to recover may be reduced from dealing with the excess alcohol.

The difficulty for Joe Average is that unless you have an accurate measurement to start with, or the facility to continue testing with, you will never know from what breath/alcohol concentration you are starting from. Your 'seat of the pants' best guess could be way of, with unthinkable consequences!

The vast majority of the consumed alcohol is dealt with by the liver. It can only process at its own rate, and cannot be rushed.

Exercising, drinking water, eating can have a very minor effect in making the body excrete alcohol, but it is still negligible in the over all drink drive limit scheme of things. Most of the benefit comes from these things simply making you feel better, without reducing alcohol levels.

Body size and composition also does not have a huge effect on the livers ability to deal with booze. The big variable is how much one can drink relative to the breath or blood alcohol level. If you have big lungs and lots of blood you will need to consume more alcohol to reach the same concentration as a smaller person. The rate that you feel that you get pissed can be affected by your size, gender, body composition, diet, activity, drinking habits, type of drink, the weather, the relative positions of celestial bodies, sexual orientation, your lottery numbers . . . . . . . . . it can be completely variable for the same person on different occasions.

Coming back to the OP's question and my earlier point, there is no point in doing this by guess work as the variables are infinite. If you need to know categorically that you are under the limit at any given time then the only way to do it is with a calibrated breath test device. Handheld devices are variable in their accuracy (even home office approved types). The only definitive answer would be found in custody blocks all across the land. But that could have a bit of a knock on effect to your subsequent ability to drive!!!

Now I like a slurp as much as the next borderline alcoholic, but the simple answer is to moderate or abstain on school nights :thumby:

That's the simple answer for me, I also drive for a living, if the car or bike has to be driven/ridden the next day.........no drink the night before.

For the reasons given above, it's a movable feast. One rough calculation that, from my experience, errs on the side of caution, is to assume that it takes 2 hours to clear each pint. Drink 4 pints (assuming sensible strength beer 3.8/3.9 abv etc) and 8 hours later you'll be clear or low single figures and well below the limit, even in Scotland. As I say, only a rough guide and no guarantees are given. Early start to driving, early end to drinking...

Funy enough, ive just read an article about a new portable breathaliser thats availbe for home use

Its called alcosense & they have a website :)

The short article covered the various versions -

In short, the Pro unit uses the same sensor as used by a number of UK forces so should be accurate but will require annual calibration.

The results were interesting

For me i would ask is the price of a pint worth the loss of your licence?

To the OP i have a friend who went drinking on a school night, the next morning he was called to assist with some business where the feds were involved.

at some stage during the assist, he was breathalised and found to be over the limit.

A 12 month ban ensued, he was lucky, he was assigned to a non driving role.

As they say, its your call !

The home office approved handheld breath kits used at the roadside are still only approved as a screening device over here. They just 'may', 'occasionally', give a 'slightly' spurious result when compared to subsequent evidential test results. They can and do regularly vary from one screening device to another.

Now I am sure that some will think that if you need to breathalyse yourself before going to work in the morning then you must have had too much. Or you have an issue. However, if your livelihood depends on your ability to drive, and there may be occasions where you have a few sherbets the night before, then who are we to criticise someone who wants to make some sort of informed check before getting behind the wheel (Or bars)????

Approaching it from a sensible, but beer loving point of view, if I had a kit to use at home and it showed that I was just under the limit, I would be grabbing a glass of water and tucking myself back up in bed for a couple of hours to think of a convincing excuse for the gaffers! Only when the device suggested that I was well clear of the limit would I consider going in to face the music!!!

First of all are or are you not a professional driver for the purpose of the drink drive laws? If you are driving a van I doubt you are. In Ireland bus, truck, taxi and novice drivers are classed as scheduled drivers and have a limit of 20mg of breath per whatever. Ordinary drivers are allowed 50. A van driver would not automatically be in the 20 zone. Most of my work driving is in the 20 and I wouldn’t consider drinking the night before. I may or may not be required to drive so I just mostly don’t bother drinking. I have no tolerance for alachol and 2 pints is usually enough for me. JJH

I recall a proper night out - drinks before we left, pub, restaurant and drinks when we got home. I wouldn't have even considered driving.

Blew under the limit.

Made me wonder how much people who are nicked for DD must have drunk.

First of all are or are you not a professional driver for the purpose of the drink drive laws? If you are driving a van I doubt you are. In Ireland bus, truck, taxi and novice drivers are classed as scheduled drivers and have a limit of 20mg of breath per whatever. Ordinary drivers are allowed 50. A van driver would not automatically be in the 20 zone. Most of my work driving is in the 20 and I wouldn’t consider drinking the night before. I may or may not be required to drive so I just mostly don’t bother drinking. I have no tolerance for alachol and 2 pints is usually enough for me. JJH

As a travelling salesman who requires commercial insurance to go about my business........am I a professional driver?? I have always wondered this.

Just to echo as others have said, at least 24 hours from stopping to drink alcohol I would suggest is the best course of action.

As a rule of thumb, if you are concerned that you might be over the limit, you almost certainly are.

Alcohol is metabolised at about 1 unit per hour. To calculate how many units you have imbibed, check what the abv (alcohol by volume) % is on whatever you are drinking. The number of units in that drink = the abv % in 1 litre of that drink.

E.G. A bottle of whisky averages 40% abv therefore that bottle contains 40 units of alcohol and would take 40 hours to metabolise if you were daft enough to drink it all.
A bottle of wine is typically 11-13.5%. A litre would contain 11-13.5 units. A bottle is 3/4 of a litre, so would contain 8.25-10.125 units.

Alcohol is absorbed into the blood stream at different rates, dependant on a number of factors including what you have eaten and what you are drinking. Fizzy drinks are absorbed more rapidly, hence fizzy mixers in spirits. Individual metabolism rates vary very little.

If you are driving in the morning, don't drink the night before. That way you are guaranteed to be safe.

Some six or seven years ago I nicked an east European at the back of West End Central nick for drink driving.

He blew about 48 on the EBM and so opted for the blood/urine sample. The on call doctor hadn't arrived after two hours.

The custody nurse there had completed some research into the time/alcohol question. He had calculated that you would lose one unit of alcohol every 20 to 30 minutes, dependant on the parameters already raised, such as food intake, size and metabolism.

Rather than wait for the doctor any longer, the arrested bod agreed to go back on the EBM. He blew something like 30 the second time. This corresponded with the four pints he claims to have drunk, about 8 units and the absorption rate suggested by the nurse.

Whilst this is the only actual evidence I have of the topic, and the figures did work, I think there are too many variables to give a simple answer.

Obviously, apart from don't drink/drive at all.

From the RSA website....

WHAT CONSTITUTES A ‘SPECIFIED DRIVER’?
Essentially this means a learner driver, newly qualified driver and
someone who is a professional driver, e.g. a bus, goods or public
service vehicle (taxi) driver.
Specifically the legislation
(a) Someone who holds a learner permit,
(b) Someone who holds his or her first driving licence, for a 2 year period from its
date of issue,
(c) Someone who holders a driving licence to drive a vehicle in the category C,
C1, D, D1, EB, EC, EC1, ED, ED1 and W while driving, attempting to drive or
being in charge of such a vehicle,
(d) Someone who holds a licence to drive a small public service vehicle granted
under section 34 of the Taxi Regulation Act 2003

My reading of (c) above is that with a C licence, my limit is lower only if I'm driving a vehicle requiring my C licence.
If I'm driving my van (B licence category) the higher limit applies.
I've heard anecdotal evidence to the contrary i.e. a farmer driving a Fiesta van being done because his was a commercial vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom