1100gs cutting out

Scooterboybert

Reaction score
Hiya all,
First post and unfortunately it’s asking for advice.
I’m having a(nother) issue with my old mile muncher.
It’s a 96 r1100gs. Abs removed, de cat and Remus can.
It’s been off the road for 7 months before finally sorting the HES last week. Quick service, oil, filter, plugs and it starts a treat. . . 3 days later I decide to take it out to get reacquainted. Before I leave I fill the tank, as it’s empty, and then put air in the tyres.
All sorted, choke in, start the bike, running sweet as ever. It then cuts out and the fuel pump starts to prime and continues to do so while cutting out in between primes.
I’ve had a look at the ignition today( just a quick looksee) to check for anything obvious and while I was there I started the bike and the same deal. 90 secs of running then it “trips” and fuel pump starts again.
I started it again and moved ‘bars lock to lock and had a play about with the wiring but it didn’t make any difference until it cut out again after another 90 secs and the priming/cutting out started again. While the priming is in party mode I fart about with the wiring again but nothing changes.
There is pressure in the fuel lines and no air/blockages.
I know I’m going under the tank as it seems to be electrical. Im just wondering if you kind folks have any ideas of where to start. I know the bike pretty well but any tips or hints to save hours working in the cold would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Bert

Just wondering how you know there's pressure from the fuel pump? I ask because you mention the tank was empty for quite a while - so I wondered if that flippin U-pipe in there has dried and split?

Not entirely sure how this might relate to your problem. It's just the empty tank for that period and the parts in there that got me thinking.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Hiya Slippery,
I initially thought that the fuel pump was priming constantly because it wasn’t getting fuel but after checking that fuel was flowing and checking all fuel line clamps I’m happy that fuel isn’t the problem.
I suspect an electrical issue as the bike runs spot on but cuts out after a short period just as though I’d turned the ignition off and back on.
I unfortunately completely dismantled my winter bike when the GS arrived home, as i missed it and expected to be riding it so took the opportunity to powder coat the frame and rebuild the engine of my winter bike🙄 I’m now riding my girlfriends little bike. At least it’s got heated grips.
I’ll pop the tank off and go over it all in the morning but I’m looking for any recommendations of obvious faults that I can look at straight away as I’ll be working outside as It’s stranded at my girlfriends house.
I’ll dig the hot water bottle out and have at it.
Cheers

I thought he'd tried this. But maybe a closer inspection is needed?

Does the 1100 have the same block connector on the lower right hand side of the tank? Maybe that's involved?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom