Love my Africa Twin... but... BMW GSA is better

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Was out on a ride today... couple hundred miles and had a few incidents where riding my BMW GSA would have been a better option.

1) After 3 hours riding, we get to a cafe and one of my mates notices my front tyre is flat !!!

a) No TPMS Warnings as there isn't a TPMS.
b) That sinking feeling, if it's a puncture, the front wheel has to completely come off.. to fit a new tube.
Would have been easier to call recovery.... whereas on the GSA its plug and ride.

It turned out to be a stuck leaky valve from my mornings pre-ride check... so once I'd filled it with air again, luckily it stayed up. BUT, I couldn't check pressures again while riding so that was a nuisance.

The roads were very slippery, and speeds were low, so I just hadn't noticed as my balance transitions were slow and steady.

2) On way home, surrounded by GSA's, my fuel tank was on 1 Bar left. It's just a pain in the ass to have to stop the whole group nearing the end of a ride to refill with fuel.... to get the next 20 miles home safe.

So although I love my Africa Twin... wheels and tyres on it are a pain in the ass....

There are options to make the wheels tubeless. None cheap I’m afraid. I did do a job no my 800gsa which worked and I was happy with until someone pointed out that my bodge wasn’t type approved and in the event of an accident I’d be in trouble. New gs850 and others now tubeless. Is the new at not? JJH

There are options to make the wheels tubeless. None cheap I’m afraid. I did do a job no my 800gsa which worked and I was happy with until someone pointed out that my bodge wasn’t type approved and in the event of an accident I’d be in trouble. New gs850 and others now tubeless. Is the new at not? JJH

Nope, HAT is tubed tyres... menace :( Unless you're off-roading on rocks... then they're ace :)

What I really liked about the Africa Twin today.... was the DCT combined with Barkbuster Blizzard handguards and Oxford Touring heated grips.

Toasty, no windchill on hands, no clutch lever to mess with. Twist and go toastyness...

That is very nice.

What’s wrong with just kicking the tyres if you really worry about them then off you go for a nice steady ride without a care in the World :nenau

What I really liked about the Africa Twin today.... was the DCT combined with Barkbuster Blizzard handguards and Oxford Touring heated grips.

Toasty, no windchill on hands, no clutch lever to mess with. Twist and go toastyness...

That is very nice.

Twist and go toastyness? Does changing gear make your pinkies cold?:comfort

Twist and go toastyness? Does changing gear make your pinkies cold?:comfort

Its not changing gear... it's a habit of covering the clutch... opens up my grip and lets the cold circulate.

No clutch = all pinkies sat around the camp fire happy days :D

Should have took the bandit out............:D

I did used to, but got fed up shitting my pants when the rear wheel spun up all the time coming off roundabouts...

Bandit = Summer hot weather, naked airflow freshness

Hat = Winter Salt and Off-Road shenanigans

GSA = All weather goodness (no salt)

H2 SX = Fast commuting, vrooom'tsh fun

What’s wrong with just kicking the tyres if you really worry about them then off you go for a nice steady ride without a care in the World :nenau

I did think that TBH.....

you forgot to mention the incurable updraft under the helmet on the AT..

Just to add.....

I don't get this... but I wonder if it because of the Barkbuster Blizzard Handguards.

The dont quite fit against the DoubleTake folding mirrors, and 'flare' upwards by the mirrors. This definately changes airflow.... maybe for the better??

A bit like the BMW PUIG electronic screen debacle... PUIG offer air deflectors on the handlebars... maybe I get a similar effect??

How did we ever cope before TPMS ? Or did you mean PMT ??
For me the ATAS is the best adventure bike I’ve had.
Have fitted a set of Hyperpro springs,front and back.
Alpina wheels are in the post, not that I’ve had a puncture in 40 years of riding...
No ESA bollox,no TMPSMPT bollox.
And the DCT box is sublime.

I agree with you on the stupid tube wheels and just barely adequate range Warlord. I already had a front flat for no apparent cause, only thing I could see was the tube was chafed through by slight roughness from a spot inside of the tyre. What a PIA.
The other gripe I have is the crazy cost (or time) involved to check valve clearance every 12k! “Come on Honda, you think your car owners would tolerate spending $500 every 12,000 miles”?

Back
Top Bottom