Pinking and Vibration on 2017 1200 GSA. Help Please

gbags

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m in South America, riding a long way in tough conditions and my bike has developed a vibration and pinking.
Firstly, what’s the grown up name for pinking? I took it in to a good mechanic who only does Beemers and he ran a diagnostic on it. I’d tried to explain ‘pinking’ in Spanglish but he found nothing wrong. The pinking occurs when I wind the bike hard or load it up. I’m two up but this bike is made for this, surely?

The second problem is vibrations through my hands and feet. The vibrations and pinking seem to be getting worse. Are they part of the same problem?

I had the bike serviced by a proper BMW dealer about 8,000 km ago. Neither problem was there before that. I’m not connecting or blaming anything. I think they are developing because I’m riding a tough route.

Can anyone suggest a possible cause and cure please? I’m not mechanical but this bike is just not well and I have a long way still to go.

Many thanks,

Graham

Can you add some octane booster (increase the quality of the fuel).... that might stop it straight away.

Bad coilpack conection??

Vibrations could be linked with bad ignition.

But if this problem wasn't before the BMW Dealer serviced it.... what did they do?

Oil & filter change wouldnt create that effect.

A shit spark plug, or bad coilpack connection might.

8000km is a long way to run into a bad fuel area. I don't see the op saying it was bad right after the service rather it is developing. Maybe I read it wrong but location and symptoms could easy add up to bad fuel.

But if this problem wasn't before the BMW Dealer serviced it.... what did they do?

Oil & filter change wouldnt create that effect.

A shit spark plug, or bad coilpack connection might.
I’m thinking it’s something to do with the service. Were plugs replaced? The incorrect plugs might cause symptoms or a loose connection. If you can get to somewhere where good fuel is available and fill up. Also check running temperature if it’s hotter than normal it might point to a weak mixture which can cause pinking. The color of the plugs should help you. JJH

Just another thought....

Crash bars can change the vibration harmonics on a bike.... just how they are refitted and tightened up...

IF... If they took the lower bars off the bike, to remove cylinder head guards to replace spark plugs... the refitting may have altered the vibration resonance.... refitting bars may fix this. Always refit on centre stand so bike is upright and relaxed.

Cheers guys,

Lots of good suggestions here and on ABR, mostly along the lines of fuel, altitude and spark.

I’ve bee at altitude for thousands of miles, since La Paz, and petrol here is certainly not 95 but I can try a booster.
I’m in Medellin, heading back towards Bogotá and from there on to Panama. I’ll change spark plugs, drain the fuel, check the pump and filter and get a booster when I get to Bogotá but going to sea level in Panama should help too.

I don’t know what a coilpack is so that’ll be hard to discuss in Spanish.

Excellent response GSers! Thanks very much and I’ll let you know if things improve once I get to Panama, sea level and hopefully cleaner fuel.

I’m in Medellin,

Medellin is at 5000ft altitude. That, coupled with poor or low octane fuel, you will be vulnerable to your symptoms. There may not be anything wrong with your bike, other than the part that senses ambient air pressure, or the fuel mapping in the ECU could be set for lower altitudes (a bit like changing your main jet on a carburettor bike). With fuelling issues you will get vibrations and other knocking noises - all will disappear when fuelling is back to normal (as long as you treat your bike gently in the meantime).

I had a look on line and the octane rating available in Medellin is between 81 and 87 (extra). I think the minimum recommended for the LC (according to my manual) is 91 RON. Usually we run in UK on 95 minimum. The manual states "if the engine is to be operated in countries with low fuel grades at 91 RON then the motorcycle must first be programmed appropriately at your authorised BMW motorcycle dealer."

There's a dealer in Medellin. And others:

Colombia
Bogota | Autogermana +571-657-8080 | N4 42.24083 W 74 1.73107
Medellin | Autogermana +571-4-2620140 | N6 13.28693 W 75 34.18117
Medellin | Ruta 40 +571-4-4481840 | N6 13.80528 W75 34.18068
Cali | Auto Bonn +571-2-6838175 | N3 28.76797 W76 31.5594
Barranquilla | Automunich +571-5-3670150 | N11 0.00053 W74 50.4915

Or call a good dealer in the UK for advice - my favourite is CW motorcycles 01305 269370 - and have a safe and enjoyable onward trip!

I think that petrol can be as low as 85 octane, if that's the case, coupled with the altitudes you are riding at, then that combination would give you the symptoms you describe.

As has been suggested, try an octane booster additive next time you fill up, if available.

Back
Top Bottom