Which would be your choice ? S1000XR - Multi 1200 S - 1200LC GSA

Speedie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys - I have got that itch to maybe try a different bike and I'm torn between the a 17 plate XR , a 67 plate Multi 1200 S or a 65 Plate GSA LC. I wondered if you could share your wisdom with me and give me either reasons for going BMW or Ducati one way or the other. The XR is quick and has quite a few refinements with a cracking engine, I like the looks of the Multi and the S version has great features and then there is the GSA which in TE form has pretty much everything too. There is only a few hundred quids worth between them at the moment. So what are your thoughts ?

Mick

Depends where you’ve come from. If you’ve come from a jap multi and never ridden a GSA you’ll need a fair amount of time for a frontal :beerjug:

Personal choice ,all good bikes with different strengths , you should try them.
My personal opinion .
XR is easily the fastest , but the harshest ride.
MTS 1200s ( not 1260?) is a very refined fast handling bike that has plusher ride and is great fun and a nice bike.
GS I’m not old enough

Had XR and Gs/ gsa...gsa is much better two up n on the big tours, better kit, but i got a bit bored when not doing the big miles.

XR was awesome , might go back to one. Possibly too fast though.

Only test ridden the Ducati and wasn’t bowled over by it.

What about a standard GS TE? For me works better than GSA, should have kept my 14 plate felt peppier than 17 plate GSA, GSA wasn’t worth the extra money it cost me

Ride them. It's the only way and then you sometimes make a mistake as a 2 hour ride does not show up all foibles etc.

When I was changing from my Explorer I test rode a GS Rallye. I used to love the Telelever suspension but after 7 years with conventional suspension, it felt a little vague and not as nice to ride as the R1200RS I also own.

I didn't go as far as riding a Ducati. A friend had one and when he had problems he found Ducati was awful at fixing the problem. BMWs have problems but their dealers are mostly pretty decent at sorting out problems. I don't have a dealer very close anyway so taking a test ride means I have to plan it rather than doing so on impulse.

I eventually went for a lowered XR and so far, very happy with it.

Go for test rides and if you want a boxer, don't limit yourself to the GS. The RS is a much better road bike.

yep i agree too, ride them all if possible. they may have a few quid difference and all suit your pocket,but they are different bikes. the GSA engine characteristics and weight you will take time to get use too. The xr has a vibey feel.

All good bikes so take your time and get what suits your riding and use for that hard earned cash

ive owned the Xr and two Multi dvt bikes, the Ducati has character and the skyhook is years ahead of the poor suspension on the XR, the multi lacks quickshifter and even whilst in warranty you may have issues with the Ducati, my second multi broke down with less than 10 miles on the clock and took the dealer 4 weeks to get parts from Ducati, i bought a Ktm GT before the Duc was fixed, i sold it on return, the 1200 dvt suffered with a flat spot at 5k due to the mapping they use to get through emissions, going up 2 teeth on the back spox is an essential mod. Service costs are not so bad now with the multi however the Xr will probably cheaper to service.

I would not own a Multi out of warranty and apart from the red warranty policy that gives additional years, this is only applicable with buying new so theres no additional warranty option with Ducati, buying the Xr will mean you can extend the warranty, the 1200 dvt is old hat now and prices are falling now the 1260 is the new kid on the block, you don't buy a Ducati for residuals.

I’ve owned 2 Multistrada’s (original 2010 S model for 5 years, and a 2015 DVT S for 2 years) and am now on a 2018 GSA. Also test rode the XR when released, as it was a choice between that and the Multistrada at the time. For me, the XR was so fast, more so than the Multi - but I felt that I needed to ride it at high revs, (I was used to riding a twin tho) which meant breaking speed limits or it was gonna kill me ! It was also far too vibey for me, but understand they sorted that now...
The Multistrada is a lovely bike. Owned one for 7 years, and only had one big issue with my 2010 model after 5 years when it popped a piston ring. Apart from that, no problems. Ducati’s are much better sorted now in my opinion. The old reputation for dodgy electrics and reliability is something I’ve not experienced in nigh of 9 years of ownership. I still own a Ducati (Monster) and that too has not given me any issues.
After 2 Multistradas and 7 years, I fancied a change. Wanted a more ‘relaxed’ touring style, and after doing a level 1 off road skills course on a GS, had a new found respect for the Beemer, so went for the GSA. No regrets. Love it. Don’t do off-road on it, but as a do everything bike, I just love it. Sure, it doesn’t have quite the ‘off the line’ acceleration or punch of the Multi, but it ain’t no slouch either. Not having chain maintenance to mess about with, is also a great bonus !

Anyway, like most others have said, enjoy test riding them all. None of em are lemons, so go with yr gut feel and enjoy !!

Back
Top Bottom