G/S 800 ignition switch

monster-mash

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just started on a G/S rebuild and my ignition switch dosen't seam to work correctly. Holding the switch in front of me it will operate to the right one position only and i can remove the key in either position which makes me think "parking lights"?

Looking at the wiring diagram it looks as there is four positions, anyone confirm this also if my switch is seized anyone taken one apart. It looks pressed together but i'm thinking i have nothing to loose

Thanks

Yes more commonly known as a 5 position ignition switch. Not as reliable as a 3 position off most other models. As your 5 position type controls the lighting & you don’t have the right kind of switch gear & loom, they’re not readily interchangeable.

Mmm thanks for the good news, defiantly worth a repair attempt then.
Thanks for the info

One of the pins in the lock might be sticking, try soaking it in penetrating oil overnight and see if it frees it.

There are plenty of lock picking kits on Ebay, and they usually have tools which let you massage each pin individually and might help you free the stuck one.
They are not meant to be dismantled, so don't rush into pulling it apart - when/ if the back slackens off it is almost impossible to re tighten it

Good quality reasonably priced 3 position switches are not hard to find in classic bike shops, off, ignition, everything else is all you need, as long as everything that draws more than a amp or so runs through a relay, and a during a rebuild a new load centre is usually part of the upgrade anyway.

Or Emerald Isle are selling a reproduction which is available on Oz Ebay

oops I have released it now and it was fairly straight forward however your correct putting it back together will be testing. Now i need to work out how to remove the barrel, i will try to up load pics

Back
Top Bottom