Alternative handguards.for the 100GS

Posh Pete

Still got a pulse.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Finished the work titivating the bars, sorting the heated grips save for new rubbers on order. The oem handguards are pretty scabby though so am pondering alternatives. Any suggestions gents?

Had Acerbis on mine for years. This one + the optional spoiler.

0013054#

No-go with the standard heated grips, but then I use heated gloves...

I have some black OEM guards in the garage, been used but perfectly serviceable. As Redboots says with OEM heated grips you are limited.

Attachments

• 7B9DC608-8129-49D9-9F7A-169F68CB8143.jpg
    7B9DC608-8129-49D9-9F7A-169F68CB8143.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 176
I've got BarkBusters on all of mine. Like said before, you may have to re-think your heated grip arrangement if you have originals.

My G/S PD had Barkbusters with Oxford heated grips, and large ATV style hand guards fixed to the Barkbusters.

On fat bars with bar risers.

Enough to make you chuck up!

Junked the lot, refitted OEM bars, white GS style guards and Venture battery heated gloves.

Looks and works a lot better!

I know Tetley has very kindly offered his hand guards up, however, if you're going to use the bike in anger, off road, then they're pretty useless apart from wind deflectors.

After one fall, I had one of mine split and I had to take it off as it was interfering with the clutch. One more similar drop and I might have lost a lever.

If it is off road use then you need either Acerbis, Barkbuster or similar with a metal bar which actually protects the levers, whilst the plastic protects your hands from wind and plant life.

Acerbis

I have Acerbis with built in LED lights on my bike, mounted on an aluminium bracket instead of the bar ends:bounce1

Attachments

• C0822DF4-60FA-405E-93F2-1DE49278B123.jpg
    C0822DF4-60FA-405E-93F2-1DE49278B123.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 138
LED's in mine too, but smaller.

drl1.jpg

I know Tetley has very kindly offered his hand guards up, however, if you're going to use the bike in anger, off road, then they're pretty useless apart from wind deflectors.

After one fall, I had one of mine split and I had to take it off as it was interfering with the clutch. One more similar drop and I might have lost a lever.

If it is off road use then you need either Acerbis, Barkbuster or similar with a metal bar which actually protects the levers, whilst the plastic protects your hands from wind and plant life.

The counter point to this is if you are not using the bike off road the oem brush guards are totally fine, and as they have a larger frontal area than most other types are great for winter too. And, the last time I looked are still available new and at a reasonable price.

tuftywhite , learning how to ride a bike without repeatedly falling off might help too - works fine for me.

Some might also consider that a R100 GS is not a off road bike, which might explain why you fall off when try too.

Take a lesson from Lewisjohn- don't let your bike anywhere near dirt, with photo shop you never have too!

tuftywhite , learning how to ride a bike without repeatedly falling off might help too - works fine for me.

Some might also consider that a R100 GS is not a off road bike, which might explain why you fall off when try too.

Take a lesson from Lewisjohn- don't let your bike anywhere near dirt, with photo shop you never have too!

That photo was taken on the bikes first ride after a very long build,hence it being so clean. I wouldn’t know how to Photoshop, and neither am I an off road warrior, I happen to like and own all styles of bike, adventure, cafe racer, flat tracker, scrambler, and classic.

The counter point to this is if you are not using the bike off road the oem brush guards are totally fine, and as they have a larger frontal area than most other types are great for winter too. And, the last time I looked are still available new and at a reasonable price.

:agree Absolutely.

Back
Top Bottom