castilla y leon

peter56

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all thinking of booking a late April getaway to the castilla y leon area but need peoples opinion on what weather to expect .

____

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kZMUAd7OJc8?list=RDkZMUAd7OJc8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Late April:

8704425553_b56a92110e_c.jpg

I think you could say 'Variable'.. :D

Thanks for reply's. Have been looking at the offers on Brittany ferries ( motorcycle tours ). All in paradors. I have done some research and they look good value.

they look good value.

You answer your own question; weather a tad variable. I've been a couple of times in late April - once lovely, high teens & dry, the other wet & cold - hence the 'good value' deals.

The Paradors are great, but 4/6 week later would be a better proposition. BTW, make sure you include the Leon Parador; it's magnificent.

Evening all.

It's like Springtime for this section. Love it; it comes to life.

Late April isn't going to be too bad but it may still be variable. The wx in the world is fucked up at the moment which does mean that you will have to leave room in your panniers for the warm gear that you take off if it gets hot. However, eltiempo.es is as accurate as any wx website (also in APP form) and can give you wx from specific towns, through whole provinces to the whole peninsula with radar gifs and rain gifs too (most useful) as well as temperature predictions. Check that just before you go and it'll give you an idea if your gear needs to be heavy or medium (never take light at that time of year around there!), the cold will surprise you on the plain.

I'm going to put a thread up about gear sometime soon. Just my experience from riding here, take it or leave it.

The first mini-tour we did from Valencia a few years ago to Santo Domingo de Silos to see the Good The Bad & The Ugly set (just where the final scene was filmed) was glorious sunshine all weekend but it was cold on the plains and then warmed up towards the end. It was around the 12th and just the week before we'd never have made it through meter high snowdrifts apparently!

The good news is that Soria, Guadalajara, Burgos and Teruel (technically Aragon) are big enough between them to be able to skirt around most of the bad wx unless you are unfortunate enough to encounter a whole wx system spanning the peninsula. Even so, it is unlikely to last long.

Do get in touch if you want to know anything, there are some good roads. I would put the advice on here but have no idea where you're actually going or for how long.

ATB, enjoy yourself.

Oh, one more thing.... cameras. Yes, they even have a few avg speed limit ones now and the stretches are long. Personally I don't ride fast on straights, I stick to below 150 km/hr. Most cameras are on straights and you'll rarely find any on some of the more interesting back roads. I do ride faster than the speed limits on the corners, but you won't find any there.

The speed limits on some roads have just been lowered to 90Km/hr on roads that were previously 100km/hr and everyone knows it's got little to do with safety.

Definitely take an updated NAV system with cameras. Not as NAZI as the UK yet but getting there.

What’s with the ‘wx’?

Every other word in the post is spelled out in full. Why not stretch it out to weather, too?

The Brittany Ferries tours do seem quite good value compared to booking crossings and accommodation separately. We've done something similar (not as part of a tour) for the past couple of years and looking at their prices for this years it seems by booking it all separately (and armed with a Paradores loyalty card, Amigos de paradores) we could get half board at the Paradores compared to the B&B that is included in the Brittany Ferries tour price. Doing it independently woudl allow you more freedom to change your itinerary to avoid any bad weather.

No idea about the weather might be like in April, I'm afraid. I've been to Spain in June and September and it's been generally scorchio (as per Wapping's post above, but have also had the odd day of cold and rain in June. This year we amended our plans on the hoof as the weather in the Pyrenees at one of the Paradores we hoped to stay at (Vielha) was 5 degrees and sleety. Instead we had an extra day at Vic-Sau (25 degrees and sunny).

The wx is indeed a lottery in April, but Castilla y Leon is a huge area. About the same as England, at a rough guess. The weather (sorry, wx) in Kent is quite often very different to the weather in Cumbria.

Back
Top Bottom